Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

I'm Bleary-Eyed Searching For Pendants...

amck2
9 years ago

I don't want to purchase counter stools or choose hardware until I am set with lights to go over my new island. These will be center stage in my main floor's open plan, so the finish & style will impact those elements.

My island will have the same finish as the perimeter cabs - Plain&Fancy's Buttercream, which looks like it sounds - a warm ivory. And the granite top for all will be New Golden Beach. The slabs I've chosen are creamier than golden with warm golden sage and pale grey veining.

I know more what I don't want than what I do. I don't want open cage or bare bulbs. I don't want cloth or wire cords. I don't want heavy industrial or nautical-type lights. I don't want any crystal baubles or a chandelier. I don't want a galvanized steel or bright colored barn light.

Since my island will be set at an angle, not straight across the room, I will need two separate pendants between 8-12" wide, instead of a 2 or 3-light lamp.

My cabinets will be inset Shaker and the style I'm going for is simple but refined. I am open to any finish, old nickel, ORB, matte black, antique brass, except for the polished white metals that wouldn't carry through to anything else in the house.

If in your own searches you see something that could work, I'd love to take a look. Thanks -

Comments (29)

• Sms
    9 years ago

Post a pic or two so we get a sense of your space and style

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I know you love your existing HF fixture. Have you looked at this one? I had considered for my dining room.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did see it at Rockingham Elec last week. Can't remember if in person, or in their book. And I do like it.

But, and you are the perfect person to ask, I think I am somewhat bound to having 2 lights instead of one multiple. My new island will be longer (I think..) than your "old" kitchen's, but Anita has cornered my range (as yours was) and angled the island accordingly. The off-centering of a single, long fixture might I think throw off the room because it will be at odds from the focal point (the range) if I hang it so it provides adequate lighting for the length of the island.

LOL, I don't think the above will make sense to anyone who doesn't know that plan. But tell me if you think I'm wrong in my concerns about a single multiple fixture.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: DH & I set up our cardboard mock-up of the new island. Because of the competing angles in the new layout, we concluded that instead of 2, we should have 3 pendants centered over the length of the island. Having 3 instead of 2 emphasizes that they have been deliberately centered on the island. With only 2 it looks almost random because one works out to be almost centered on the window.

So now I'm searching for 3 pendant lights, so may be scaling down the size of each to closer to 8" than 12".

This post was edited by amck on Sat, May 10, 14 at 18:38

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Can you post the kitchen? How about some fixtures that have caught your eye so we can get a sense of the style you are after.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I looked through Hudson Valley Lighting, one of my faves, and they all seem to be what you don't like. And I agree with your list--lighting styles today just seem ridiculous, and everyone does the same three styles and I'm tired of seeing them! I was thinking what snookums said--a few pics of what might be acceptable would give us a place to start.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

snookums2 & may_flowers, I will search for & try to post others. may_flowers, thank you for your comment about how limited the choices are. I was thinking it was just me.

The one above from nhbaskets is a good example of what I like. Hubbardton Forge can be pricey but their metalwork is well-crafted and feels substantial compared to a lot of $$$ ones I've seen lately that are tinny & flimsy with finish details I would expect from the big box knockoffs. When I bought my current light from them 10 yrs ago they were offering more of this type. Their new catalog features pendants that steer more modern. They have some very cool looking ones with very thick blown clear glass I saw in person. Great for a contemporary space, bot not mine.

I like the clean lines and shape of the shades. Prefer white/opal or clear glass to amber.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Hi amck - I'm kind of bleary eyed & trying to stay awake. 1st grandchild & I'm doing the night shift feedings so DD can get some much needed sleep. I'm looking at pics on Houzz & will post any I think are at all possible. Don't feel you need to comment on any of them.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

OT - congrats on your grandbaby! Great you can share this special time and help DD, and still not miss a beat on GW!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Remains Lighting Marta Pendant

• romy718
    9 years ago

Crisp Architecture

• romy718
    9 years ago

Not sure what this source is.

• romy718
    9 years ago

School House, which I'm sure you've looked at.

• romy718
    9 years ago

One of my favorite kitchens

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love Marthastoo's pendants, Hudson Valley.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Hudson Valley?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Here's one by Quoizel that's 8" wide x 9.5" tall. It's only available in bronze. It takes standard light bulbs up to 100W. It's not plain but it's also not a show-off. I think the shade is glass but it doesn't say, and it didn't say in the other lights in the collection. Lightingdirect has great customer service, so you could check.

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sun, May 11, 14 at 10:06

• isixpacku
    9 years ago

I am also going bleary eyed from looking at pendants. Here is one I ran across this morning. It is on my list of ones I am considering. I thought there is a chance it might fit your description.

It is Hudson Valley. I found it on lightingdirect but it won't let me post a link because I am looking at it on the mobile website version. Here is the mobile link http://m.lightingdirect.com/products/s402394

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Not sure if this is what you're thinking, but we got three of these for our island, and I really like them in person. We don't have them installed yet, so I can't give you a picture of them in action!

Here is a link that might be useful: Feiss Bronze Seeded Glass Pendant

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

May Flowers: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Amck's post could have been written by me; we have the same "criteria" which definitely limits options. I have been looking on and off for a year to replace my 80s horrors in our remodel. Nothing I have liked has worked for my needs (5-6 light chandelier, mini pendants, foyer light in split-level stairwell plus something that goes with antique brass). If I liked a pendant...no matching chandelier; if I liked a chandelier...no matching pendant; finding complimentary metal...nightmare.

The Quoizel pendant you posted caught my "eye" and the matching pieces work. Now, I just have to find out what the shades are made of.

Amck: Thank you for posting your request. Hope you find what you are looking for!

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

We have similar criteria in what we do not want. These are some that intrigued me from Hudsen Valley...unfortunately for me, no matching pieces that worked for my needs.

http://hudsonvalleylighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?item=1031-OB

http://hudsonvalleylighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?item=4222-OB

I really wanted matching pieces to this one:...none listed: http://hudsonvalleylighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?item=6521-AN

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ranton, I am so pleased to know this post helped you find your lights!

I think I may have found a winner, too. I was checking out BakerJen's on the Feiss site and under "also recommended" I saw Murray Feiss P1235RI which have the shiny opal glass instead of the clear beaded. They have the schoolhouse feel, which I love, and a little metal interest at the base which isn't fussy but, I think, sets them apart from many like them. Also like the shape of the shade which would lend some softness to the angles in the kitchen and play well with the cupped shades in my DR lamps.

I'm in bad light ( outdoors) for viewing the finish,but I think these could work.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like those Murray Feiss too! I like simple, but I also like a little something extra in the styling. Those qualify!

You're welcome, Ranton. I think Quiozel has a pretty good reputation too. I looked at Restoration Hardware, and now I know where people shop for their lighting. I saw all three of the styles that I noticed everyone uses!

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers, happy to know you think they'll work, too. The price is so low compared to others I've considered that it gave me pause. But I have no problem spending less if I'm not comprising on style or quality ;)

DH wanted to order them today - I said no Mother's Day gifts/ Anniversary gifts, etc this year - the remodel covers all those.... But I want to sleep on it and revisit them tomorrow.

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Amck, I'm so glad that you found something you like! I think those are lovely, too, and it sounds like they will work really well in your space. I believe a friend of mine got that same model with the clear glass--sadly, her kitchen is also still a work-in-progress, so I don't have any reports from seeing them in person. Good luck!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I think the Murray Feiss P1235RI is lovely too.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting that shot of them, romy718. I really like them in that kitchen!

• outdoorgirl16
    9 years ago

I have three of these pendants over my kitchen island in our new build with white cabinets. I love them. They do not look cheap. The globe is white though not creamy looking as in the photo above.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, outdoorgirl16, for the first-hand report. It's hard to gauge quality online. I'm happy to know the shades are white.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company