Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Restoration Hardware Pull (Lots of posts on knobs/pulls today!)

redroze
15 years ago

We are doing inset cabinets, white for the L-shaped area, and stained brown for the pantry and the island. Overall kitchen style is fairly traditional but with some contemporary touches.

We're doing a mix of hardware - chrome knobs, chrome pulls and glass knobs on the glass cabinet. What do you think of these Restoration Hardware pulls called Aubrey? We saw them in person on the weekend and they look great. Just wondering if anyone else has used them or seen them in person. I'm having a hard time visualizing what they'll look like on actual cabinets. I really with RH put real-life photos of their hardware on cabs!

Thanks!

RH Aubrey Pulls

RH Aubrey Knobs

RH Glass Knobs

Comments (29)

• heimert
    15 years ago

We used the glass knobs on our bathroom vanities. I think they look really good.

I think we used something else "Aubrey" as well, although maybe I'm confusing the name of the knobs with the name of some coathooks.

Anyway, I think the quality is good and they can look really nice (we used Chrome in one bath and brushed nickel on the other--but I barely notice the metal ring)

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

This is exactly the pull I've had my eye on. I want something relatively simple and I think the Aubrey is lovely.

I'll look forward to pictures -- or maybe we'll have pictures first! I hope we'll have some cabinets to put hardware on within the month -- okay, maybe six weeks.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Those are gorgeous :) I love them mixed together.

My cat's name is Aubrey...would a pic of him help? :OP

• Susancc
    15 years ago

I used the big aubrey knobs for all my cabinets and drawers. I am crazy about them, very heavy and well made, everyone who sees the kitchen comments on them.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Igloochic - LOL. I hate to say this but I must buy your cat Aubrey to ensure my kitchen is all matchy-matchy. LOVE that look (my hubby would protest as I make him change his outfit if it looks too similar to mine). Haha...

SW - please do post pics whenever you have them. Our renos seem to be in unison so we'll see who can post first!!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good to know that the glass knobs and Aubrey knobs are of good quality! I bought the glass knobs from RH but we're actually getting similar chrome knobs from our cabinetmaker at a fraction of the cost. $1.25 per knob to be exact...I love to mix pricey and cheap things as it fools people into thinking everything was high-end! =)

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i actually just started a topic about that very pull a week or so ago. ended up buying one and bringing it home to hold up against my cabinets and .....

i can't use them.

because in many places, the raised panel where we'd mount the pulls is not wide enough to fit that 2-screw mounting plate thing on the pull.

so...had to re-think to a single-screw pull.

but i love the look.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Darn...I may have to make our smaller drawers flat-front then as I really, really like these pulls.

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Edlakin -- So did you ever find a version of the RH Aubrey pull for a better price? (I just checked out your previous thread.)

Thanks.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

We have the RH glass knobs (polished nickel) and their Gilmore pulls (about which you didn't ask) and LOVE them. None of the pictures I have of the kitchen show the glass knobs off to their truest (or finest). They are so pretty, so easy to keep clean, so comfortable, and they have a beautiful bit of sparkle. Yummy!

About the pulls (all of the RH pulls, not just the bin pulls I have): their screws aren't strong enough for maple cabinets. (the screws break after the pulls are used just a few times) At least, our cabinetmaker has had problems with RH pulls and, when I asked at our local RH, was told they'd heard as much from other customers. (Our cabinetmaker supplied his own screws.) Didn't stop any of us from using them, but just so you're aware (in case whoever installs your hardware isn't).

• meriden
    15 years ago

rmkitchen: I really like your vertical long pull on the pantry door by your double oven. Could you tell me what brand it is and where you got it? Thanks.

• hoffman
    15 years ago

I have the RH Aubrey pulls on my lower cabinets, the Gilmore pulls on my drawers, and glass knobs from House of Antique Hardware on upper cabinets -- all in chrome. I think the reason I didn't get the glass knobs from RH is that they didn't offer them in chrome, only in polished nickel. Anyhow, I'm very happy with them all and happily none of the screws have broken after 5 months of use (I do have maple cabinets). Here are some photos:

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

You bet, meriden!

That's actually our refrigerator (so it's a heavy-duty pull); we also have it on our freezer and then a shorter version (horizontally placed) on the broom closet pull-out.

Was Belwith Keeler Studio but now is Hickory Hardware Studio.

hoffman -- I'm so glad you haven't had any problems with the RH screws in your maple cabs! Great news!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

Edlakin -- So did you ever find a version of the RH Aubrey pull for a better price? (I just checked out your previous thread.)

yep, i did. someone in the thread suggested one that was in the six-buck range, i think. it wasn't exactly the same, but was awfully close.

we ended up going with this pull (link below). i don't like the look of it as much as the aubrey, but it fits the raised panel on my drawers. and it's only $2.60/pull.

(we have two different finishes, and this one is for the cherry cabs. for the painted green cabs, we're also going with glass. i thought i was being original with that choice. who knew everyone else had them too?)

Here is a link that might be useful: ORB pulls

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hoffman - Thank you! They are gorgeous. We're only doing them on our drawers, and just simple knobs on our cabinets. I got the RH glass knobs in polished nickel - you can't really see the metal part anyway.

Rmkitchen - I appreciate your advice about the screws! I just told my GC as he's here now. He'll supply the screws.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I love, love, love the Aubrey pulls and knobs (especially the knobs). They are exactly what I want in my kitchen. I had a sweet beastie girl kitty (big seal point Himmie) named Aubrey for 19 years. I miss her sweet face every day. Even if the knobs are pricy, I have to have at least one in her memory as I am positive she is looking down here every day.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hoffman - I was wondering if it would be too much to ask you to post images of the Aubrey pulls straight on, rather than from an angle?

Also, what size pull did you decide to go with? I am doing knobs on all the cabinet doors, and either knobs or pulls on drawers. I was thinking of doing 8" pulls for the larger drawers and pantry doors (vertically), 6" for the "regular" sized drawers, and a 4 pull for my small garbage pullout.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mustbnuts - that is so sweet. I absolutely think you should get two special Aubrey pulls for your late kitten.

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Edlakin -- Thanks for the tip about the less expensive Aubrey-like pulls.

And Hoffman, I echo Redroze's request for a straight-on shot of the pulls you used, as well as info about the sizes.

Thanks.

• kitchensusie
    15 years ago

I echo rmkitchen's experience with the screws that come with the RH Gilmore pulls. The screws broke off when I installed them on IKEA cabinet doors (Lindingo). I then supplied my own screws and have been very happy. Just FYI.

• lleet
    15 years ago

Is there a rule of thumb as to when to use the 1" or the 1 1/4" glass/crystal knob? If not, could you share which size you ended up with? Thanks!

• gshop
    15 years ago

If looking for hardware for lower prices, please avoid Homeannex.com. They have good prices, but slow shipping and I have had terrible service with them and am STILL waiting on a refund. Good luck!

• pdxgal
    15 years ago

We also have the ORB Gilmore pulls and knobs for the kitchen and LOVE them. Very nice. Heavy and good quality. I get lots of comments on them from people when they see the kitchen.

I have the glass knobs and pulls on my built-in hutch in the dining room and on a dresser in my bedroom. I love the looks of these too. One caution though. If you use the glass pulls, be careful when installing them, because they can break if forced into the holes too hard. Fortunately Restoration Hardware is good about replacing that sort of thing.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Thanks Redroze. The moment I saw those knobs, I knew I had to have them. They were EXACTLY what I said I wanted when I started looking at redoing my kitchen. When I saw them and then saw the name, that was it!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lleet - I bought the 1 1/4" knobs. I think they feel more substantial (not in an overwhelming way) than the 1". If you are doing other hardware in your room, I would recommend comparing them against both sizes of the crystal knobs. You want them to compliment each other, and also make sure the crystal knobs can "hold their own" against the other hardware, since they are glass and have a transluscent quality to them.

That's my kitchen philosophical rant for the day...haha!

• californiagirl
    15 years ago

Uh-oh. I spent my morning looking for pulls like the first one pictured. I have accidentally bumped into trendy (again!) without meaning to. Our 1936 house came with glass knobs and window pulls that look like the RH stuff and I was hoping to pick something similar for our new kitchen/addition.

From what I can see, lots of manufacturers produce similar pulls, usually called window lifts, sash pulls or utility pulls. Some are cheaper coated zinc but the better and more expensive ones are solid brass and can be found plated in different finishes, which varies by manufacturer. You need to try different search terms to find them online because different manufacturers call them different names, but generally they are intended for window hardware, not kitchen cabinets, so if you look at a manufacturer or hardware site under a cabinet hardware subheading they won't show up.

So far I have found similar pulls made by Baldwin (solid brass), Samuel Heath (UK), Schlage (solid brass), Croft (UK), Ives, Rocky Mountain, Merit Metal (solid brass), Brass Accents and Deltana (solid brass).

One of these may be the actual manufacturer for RH. Some are less expensive than RH, like Schlage and Ives, some are similar, like Baldwin. I don't know why Deltana is so pricey but maybe somebody else can shed light on this company and why it charges more.

For the larger sizes, look for what are called cabin door pulls. Merit Metal has some great looking ones, though not cheap. It seems like hardware meant for marine use has to be sturdier, so I have found some great-looking hardware at sites selling to boat and yacht owners (cool lighting for bathrooms, too).

I haven't gotten to the glass knob matching yet, so if anybody has done research on those maybe we can start a different thread.

• aeiohu_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I know this post is old, but I'm trying to pick between these exact choices right now. WE are going to need a total of 12 knobs and 4 pulls (Gilmore). I'm thinking about doing what it looks like Redroze did, w/ using the glass knobs on the glass cabinets (w/ the polished nickel) and polished chrome (both the Aubrey and the Gilmore) everywhere else.
    My question is there a clash with the polished nickel finish on the glass knob and the polished chrome elsewhere, or is the small ring too small to really notice?

• lobita
    13 years ago

Hi all,
    I know this post is old, but I'm trying to pick between these exact choices right now. WE are going to need a total of 12 knobs and 4 pulls (Gilmore). I'm thinking about doing what it looks like Redroze did, w/ using the glass knobs on the glass cabinets (w/ the polished nickel) and polished chrome (both the Aubrey and the Gilmore) everywhere else.
    My question is there a clash with the polished nickel finish on the glass knob and the polished chrome elsewhere, or is the small ring too small to really notice?

• rnklein
    8 years ago

Restoration cabinet pulls are beautiful but the come with screws that are too short for cabinets that include standard size panels. This is annoying particularly since the pulls are far from cheap.