Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Secondary Countertop suggestion

Posted by cal_quail (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:40

This would probably be better if I had a pic of the granite we're planning on, but I don't have access to one just now. It's called Kodiak (but I don't this that's a standard name). We've only been to see it once and haven't committed yet. It'll go on the island, on either side if the range and on an L around the sink.

We have two odd areas that we don't need to be granite. One is on a run of three cabinets under a low window. it'll be in the neighborhood of 29" h, 81" long. The other is obove our washer and dryer. Because we have masonry walls, the services are on the surface of the wall and the 24"d appliances will sit out 5" or so. So that piece would be 54" w, 30" d. Also, I'm going to see about having that be lift-off-able because we've had issues with the drain on occasion.

So I'm looking for something lighter and less expensive than granite for those areas that won't be used for food prep. I've tried googling countertop weights in various ways with little success.

The ideas I've come up with are to just have the cabinet maker top the lower cabinets and get some kind of panel for the w/d area. Going to contact Perfect Plank and ask weight. Maybe wildwood from them. And I thought maybe one of the Eco series from Cosentino, but IIRC it's not all that inexpensive.

any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Secondary Countertop suggestion

Try the Ikea quartz counters pricewise. We saw their display in Houston and it was really impressive. They also had a solid (like Corian) surface in the showroom that was cheaper.

o

For the lift board over the laundry, you're right to think light. You could even hinge it and put in some kind of hook or stop. When you're having a drain issue the last thing you want is to dread moving the shelf. It's bad enough you'll have to clear it off. I'd do with a lightweight wood, or recycled fluff and resin board. They make boards, that you can use in place of plywood, not just heavy counters. If you're holding tight to the budget, you might even be able to find a hollow core stock door that's about the right size, though a nice A/A plywood with an apron edge would be fine.

Besides doing an exact match, you could use heavier wood for the low counter, which is more likely to get heavy things dropped on it, or just plywood stained to match with a cushion top, if your cabinets are strong enough to sit on. (Some aren't).

o

Ikea also has some pretty natural wood slabs if you think those areas can handle it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here