Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My green and cream almost finished kitchen (pics)

Posted by sas95 (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 12:37

Our kitchen is almost done. A total gut and remodel of the wreck of a kitchen in our recently-purchased home. Still awaiting the delivery of stools and a few other details, but thought I'd post a few pictures now. Thanks to all of you for your help. I learned so much here.

Before:

After:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My green and cream almost finished kitchen (pics)

Absolutely beautiful!! Well done!!

o

Nice!. Very nice!

o

Wow, just beautiful!!! And what a difference.

o

The island is a huge improvement. Can you provide further detials - colors, appliances etc? I love the backsplash!

o

It's lovely! Congrats and enjoy!

o

Its beautiful- so lovely and classic. I am loving the color of the island- gorgeous. What a beauty!

o

A huge improvement and the colors are wonderful.

Nancy

o

Great job, I love the colours. Pevo

o

Your kitchen is really beautiful! The difference is night and day compared to the old one. They must have used the old layout as an "eat in" kitchen with all that room in the middle of the old layout.

Top three things I love about your kitchen:

1)Backsplash. You chose very well. Lots of pretty soft colors and makes the right style statement about your overall look.

2)Island. I love the butcherblock on the end. Very functional.

3)The open bookshelf cabinets flanking the beautiful rangetop. There is just something about them that catches the eye. It helps bring another level of depth to the whole side of the room.

Your layout has given me some things to think about for my own remodel as I will be executing a similar layout. Thanks alot for posting this as I am the type that believes that "seeing IS believing" and I had been having a difficult time picturing the finished product.

What are the details.....appliances, cabinets, finishes, etc? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

o

really great without going"over the top"..tasteful in all aspects. Good kitchen for an island!

o

The backsplash is a nice reference to the brick that used to be in the kitchen. You had a nice big kitchen to work with. Lucky.

o

Thank you all for the nice words. As most of you know, it's so terrifying trying to make the choices without getting to see how things all work together on a large scale.

Here are the details:

Cabinets: Signature Custom Cabinetry. Uppers and island are Willow color. I have to check for the exact shade of the lowers when I get home today. Both glazed (but I'd also have to check the glaze color). Uppers are brushstroked finish.

Backsplash: Walker Zanger Ceramica Alhambra

Countertops: Caesarstone, Champagne Limestone

Rangetop: DCS 48" with grill, hood is a Best 54"

Dishwasher and Refrigerator: KitchenAid

Double Ovens: Bosch

Paint: Benjamin Moore Celery Salt

Herbflavor-- I especially appreciate your comment about not going "over the top". That was our main goal.

o

Nicely done. Love the backspash!

o

wow... really beautiful.

As most of you know, it's so terrifying trying to make the choices without getting to see how things all work together on a large scale.

beautiful colors and choices. you did a wonderful job. :)

o

Love it! It is so much more functional for starters. The soothing color scheme makes it even better. I'd love to cook in your kitchen!

What was the deal with the ovens in brick wall in your before kitchen? Was that a functional fireplace or just for looks? I'm trying to figure out how to addressed this oddity.

o

Wow--what a big difference! So open and spacious and airy. Very ethereal!

o

So clean, pretty and, best of all, functional! Love the b.s. and the butcher block in the island. Green is your color!

o

looks great! You must be loving it!!!!
Such a delicate green! Well done!

:o)

o

What a tremendous difference, just beautiful! I especially love how the backsplash pulls it all together. Don't think you could have found anything better!

o

Really, really nice job. And don't be offended, but that's one of the worst ''before'' kitchens I've seen. You really turned things around. Love the backsplash!

o

Beautiful. What a great combination. Congratulaton.:)

o

Love the back splash and the range area with the unique cabinets on other side.

o

You gave that space the kitchen it deserves : ) . It's just lovely. With the view out the windows, it couldn't be more green and serene.

Becky

o

What a pretty space! Amazing transformation and very very elegantly done. Enjoy!!

o

I am not a "green" person, however, I have changed my opinion after seeing your kitchen. It is stunning and everything you chose works so well to blend and harmonize. Congratulations!

o

You've mastered that awkward big space. Good job.

o

So pretty - I can only hope my own in-progress cream and green kitchen turns out to look as beautiful as yours does !! Thanks for posting. SQ

o

Really wonderful. Serene, soft, and elegant. You were blessed with a great space, but that wasn't well used, and you have improved it beautifully.

The kitchen yelled for an island, and you inserted not only a greatly functional one, but with great style, too. Love how/where you split the countertop materials. Is the perimeter counter the same as the quartz on the island? The island looks shinier, but I couldn't tell if that was just the photos and not real.

That Willow color is a winner.

o

BRAVO!
You did a great job with your space! What a great kitchen remodel.

o

It looks great! And I agree with other posters about not going over the top. I think that is key. Good job! :)

o

Congratulations! What an improvement! WOW!

o

Thanks again for all the nice comments. They make me feel really good. To answer a few questions:

Colors-- lowers are Pearl White. Both the lowers and the Willow uppers have Umber glaze.

Lisa_a-- The brick where the ovens were in the before kitchen presented the biggest problem in the reno. At first our contractor was convinced the brick was structural, as there is a chimney, with a brick oven sharing the wall on the exterior. Happily, the chimney ended up belonging only to the outside oven, so we were able to take the whole thing down and the inside structural element only protruded an inch or 2, which did not present a problem once we decided to put the new ovens there as well.

Warmfridge-- I'm not insulted by your comment about the before kitchen. It was horrid! The good thing was that there was nothing that we felt bad about ripping down. The bad thing is that the bathrooms were just as bad.

SusieQusie, I've been following the posts on your green and cream kitchen. I think you'll really like the color combination.

Rhome410, the perimeter and island countertops are the same quartz, but the island top does seem shinier and a little yellower in the pictures. In person, the counters read more like the perimeters, but it does depend on the light.

The challenge of this reno was that the house is a 1959 house that was maintained well and has lots of character, but the last update it received was in the 60's. The house is brick, with a lot of dark wood and stonework. We wanted to totally update-- not really going for the kitchen that looks like it has always been there, but to keep it consistent in feeling with the rest of the house.

o

A beautiful transformation
Love that backsplash

o

So very beautiful and what a grand transformation! Congrats!

o

Love your kitchen. Tell me about the cubbies under the renege-top....or are those cabinets still waiting for doors? I am trying to find where to put open shelves in my new plan.....

o

It looks really nice; I like the little riff you did on the brick around the old ovens by using a brick-like proportioned tile for the backsplash.

o

I can't believe how timely this is! I LOVE your kitchen! I'm off to bed now, but I'm going to come back and study what you've done. You may have just solved a couple of my dilemmas in my kitchen. Beautiful job! Thanks!

o

Holy Smokes! What a change!!! Absolutely love it. If it were mine, I would have to sit and just admire it multiple times a day! The colors go so well together and it has just the right balance between modern and traditional. Great job!

Would you mind sharing a close up photo of the countertops? We're considering those for the kitchen and master bath & would love to see what the real thing looks like vs. what the manufacturer wanted you to see on their website.

o

Cindaintx, the cubby-like things near the rangetop came about because at first we were going to do totally open shelving there and use it for all of our cooking spices, olive oils, etc. But my husband and I are big cooks, and we realized that with all the spices and other stuff that we'd want to keep there, those shelves would look like a mess in no time. So we decided to close the bottom parts off, but leave the top open because I really didn't want any closed cabinetry on the uppers.

mydreamhome, here's a close-up of the counters. Hope this helps.

o

It's all been said. But I'll say it again -- what a beautiful transformation! Enjoy!

o

GORGEOUS!!!

o

First of all, while it was well beyond the time to retire "the old girl", it was really cool to see your before kitchen. I'm guessing it was a late 1950s to early 1960s custom home with what would have been pretty close to a "state of the art" kitchen at the time. Those stainless steel wall ovens with warming drawers(?) above were fun to see.

Your remodel is absolutely beautiful, unique and I predict will function well for another 50 years!

o

Really wonderful! Love the design. It is so cherry, you have a great eye for detail - beautifully done.
Enjoy!!

o

Wowza! I love how you softened the look while also adding character with the bs (love those tiles!). Your before kitchen had size but you gave it function and form.
Divine ;)

o

Wow, that is really Beautiful! Great job!

Congratulations and happy cooking! :^)

o

Simply gorgeous.

I love your backsplash and it matches the countertop
perfectly. I love how you created the island. Functional
and yet beautiful. The wood block on the end is just
perfect. You must be thrilled with the transformation.
It also looks like you probably stayed true to the home,
as I can only assume the by the original kitchen.
Nicely done!

One question and you may have answered so please forgive
me for asking...
What are you floors? Are they a dark stained oak?

Enjoy your space,
boxerpups

o

Really beautiful. The before kitchen appeared to be a good size with a fairly good layout, but hopelessly outdated. You had the vision and creativity to turn it into a spectacular space. Congratulations.

o

That's a fantastic job!! Love the colors and the backsplash.
Also the butcher block built into the island.
This is sooooo much more funcional than the old layout.

Enjoy.

PS. when are coming over for brunch?

o

Boxerpups, yes, the floors are a dark stained oak. Jacobean. I never thought I'd go that dark, but when I looked at stains with the cabinets the answer was clear to me.

Willtv, brunch is served every Sunday. Just stop by.

o

transformation is remarkable, enjoy your new space!

o

I found your kitchen as I was doing a search on Signature Custom Cabinetry. I'm thinking of using them. Are you happy with the quality? Thanks.

o

Sorry I didn't see your post until now, FSachs. Yes, I'm happy with the quality. We had a small issue with the trash glides, but Signature was out to repair/replace promptly.

o

I'm always thrilled to see a green kitchen that speaks to me.
We seem to have a few elements in common!
I'm using Duron's 'Rugged Trail' on my uppers. A very, very subtle gray green that resolves gray on the monitors. I'm repainting the lowers with its complementary 'Backpack' soon, since the natural light changes 'Rugged Trail' into something I abhor.

I made my own butcher block countertop, which I've yet to stain. My floors are a chocolate ... something. I have to look it up. Wide plank maple or oak, I'd guess.

Here's a pic of my uppers & you can see my cabinets and floor:

Here is my countertop:

I am also making my own credenza, of which I only have a "before" picture, because there isn't any after yet! :) In the meanwhile, the stacked cabs are more storage

Yours gives me great inspiration! Thanks.

(OH! BTW. Someday I'm replacing the doors I've collected from reuse centers with an inset door. But that's another fortune!)

o

CEFreeman, your kitchen is coming along beautifully! What an accomplishment to have made so much yourself. I wish I were half as talented.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here