Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liptonjl

What could make this kitchen better?

liptonjl
13 years ago

We have been in our house for less than 2 years but I am not thrilled with how our kitchen turned out. I love our appliances, backsplash and granite but I feel there's too much "brown" in the floor, cabinets, and furniture.

Hindsight I wish I would have done a few things differently, but I am not going to say what, I'd rather hear some unbiased suggestions as to what can be done now. The easier the change, the better, but I want to hear everything! (Replacing the cabinets isn't an option though).

Thank you and here are pics:

We have a "coffee bar" across from our breakfast area:

Breakfast area:

We also have a fireplace in the kitchen/breakfast area if that matters:

Kitchen:

And a long shot to try to see how it's set up:

THANK YOU!!!

Comments (36)

• vidaprodiga
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the clean look, however it needs more color! The tile and cabinetry look beautiful and flow well with the stone counter tops...however I feel that your kitchen needs some items... how about some foliage or herbs in pots, get some accent chunky pieces to put on your island, perhaps some nice chic and stylish seat covers for your chairs (not the country padded style one)
    I would go with a sage green and shades accenting it...

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I would paint your walls. Pick a color, any color, just get rid of the putty color that's currently there. I'd then replace the pendant shades with a brighter pop of that same wall color. I'd paint the stools black with a rubbed through ballardized finish.

I have a feeling this isn't what you're looking for, but I like your cabs the color that they are. And with as much cabinetry as you have, it would be a bear to paint them.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I agree, it's really a handsome kitchen actually - it just needs some finishing off; window treatments come immediately to mind and would make a world of difference. A new paint color for the walls too, something in the green tones that Vidaprodiga suggested would be lovely. Lastly, objects to personalize the space since it looks a bit "sterile" right now.

(As I'm about to hit "submit, I can't remember if you had hardware on the cabinets yet - if not, that surely would help to. If you do - maybe something different since I can't clearly remember what they were).

I think you could do this rather inexpensively. The thing that would cost most is the window treatments but it also would give the most bang for the buck and would be well worth whatever you spend.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

It's a lovely kitchen and I agree that it just needs a bit of color. What's your favorite color? You can add it with accents on the counter as vidaprodiga mentioned (but don't add too much, it will look cluttered) or some pieces over the upper cabs (decorative plates, framed prints, etc.) You can also add window treatments. You also might consider using curved, brushed stainless pulls to match the handles on your appliances. (Try buying just a few at first to see if you like the look.)

Depending on what you want to spend, you could look for more unique or colorful pendants and matching light for the table.

Take a look at theanimala's kitchen in the FKB. She or he has just a few splashes of red that really add some pop.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of theanimala's kitchen

• mikomum
    13 years ago

color!!! If you're not sure what to paint, you could start with just the wall around the coffee bar. I'm thinking green, maybe a pear green, which would be just a bit brighter than a sage. You could paint your island maybe a warm cream? Or perhaps put glass in a few doors (esp. in your coffee nook) If you don't have little kids, a rug under the table would also look great.

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great suggestions. I have considered painting the cabinets and/or the furniture. I'm not sure how my hubby would take to either of those ideas since we've only been in 2 years... :) But I am open to ALL suggestions, even those.

I would probably have to hire out the painting of the cabinets if I went that route, like you said, there's a lot there!

I appreciate any more ideas!

• jakkom
    13 years ago

Your cabs are lovely, I wouldn't paint them as you'll never be able to 'go back' if you decide it doesn't work after all.

Definitely a new wall color is needed, and I'd take the doors off the four cabs surrounding the microwave. Have the inset cut out and replaced with glass. You will need to: 1) keep the interior looking neat, LOL!; 2) use glass shelves if possible to keep it looking 'lighter', and 3) add interior cab lighting.

The suggestion of some different pendants to give a little 'bling' factor is a good one. Your kitchen is very handsome, but you need something to give it an excitement factor. I wouldn't personally cover up the windows, but I'm a sunshine lover and prefer blinds, especially a nice textured wood-look or bamboo blind, over fabric curtains.

Do these before any cab painting, and see if it makes a difference without doing something that can't be undone. And much as I love the rugs I have in my kitchen for cushioning and spill protection, I will say that people (including me) do trip over the edges quite often even though they're fairly flat rugs, so especially if you have children I would be careful about using them.

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

All that kitchen needs are some injections of your cooking personality (if you don't have one, fake it!) and some accessories. Right now, it looks staged for sale rather than lived in - a bit like a real estate agent came in and advised you not to "offend" anyone. I'd love to see some color in there. Not necessarily a specific color, but maybe a few cookbooks with pretty spines, a more decorative spice rack, a crock with some pretty utensils in it. Controlled, functional "clutter."

It definitely has good bones, it just needs to play them up.

• sunnny
    13 years ago

In my opinion I don't think you should paint the cabinets. They are very nice and blend well with your counters and back splash. You need PAINT and some color! It can transform your kitchen. You can buy several sample colors and paint sections over the cabinets and other walls then stand back and see what it does. I'd also suggest some plates stood up with the plate holders, tall candles, or canister things on the area above your cabinets. Carry that color down to your counters and other areas. If you put something decorative with color on the coffee bar it would make it stand out. As the others said a rug and window treatments would make a huge difference as well.
    As others mentioned a lovely green would be nice, but I could see a deeper tan or a (I'm not good at the color thing) a warm grey such as the color on your fireplace.
    To make your cabinets stand out an easy change would be to change your hardware to something brighter to bring out the stainless appliances.
    Just my ideas... but I would not paint the cabinets. Everything ties beautifully together as it is. You just need to add some personality and color.
    Maybe several small pots of herbs next to the sink??? A topiary thingy, a cook book on a stand, Those candels with batteries above the cabinets??? A colorful vase or ceramic pitcher??
    You can also post this on the decorating forum. They are great there as well.
    Post pics once you decide what you will do!
    Sunny

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I would get some color and personality in there. Everything is hard surfaces as well as brown, and I think the lack of textures is as much a problem as a lack of color. Maybe more so.

It is a large space. Get a large rug (under the table and/or in front of the fireplace) instead of the bits of rug you have (and give it some color and pattern), add window treatments, some colorful accessories (bright colored pottery, glass, even some black to accent the colors), floor cushions and/or an upholstered bench in front of the fireplace. If you don't like curtains, at least do some shades or valances, maybe a wrought iron piece or sign over the sink.

Make use of that fireplace. Make it the inviting focal point it should be. You could move the table and chairs in front of the fireplace and put a sofa and/or chairs by the windows to create a sitting/reading area. Or put a pair of chairs for coffee, reading, chatting in front of the fire -- maybe with a small game table. Toss some pillows on the chairs or floor pillows beside the fireplace. You could even change them with the season if you like.

I would also hang your pictures and look for something larger to go over your mantel. The candlesticks are too small for the mantel unless you can group them with others. The clock is also too small to stand on its own there. One larger piece in the center with a small grouping on either side would feel more balanced and proportional to the long mantel for me.

Just my thoughts -- you can return them and get your money back. ;-)

• brickton
    13 years ago

I think that you want to add some rugs, for a low maintenance dining room rug you can do an indoor/outdoor rug. They are low profile and can be hosed down should they need it (and with my kids at least, they need it). Consider changing out the fireplace rug with a large oval knotted wool rug.

Also consider knocking out some tiles in the backsplash and adding something there. I think some of the issue is the closeness in tone with the cabinets and floors. Not just that they are brown, but they are so close to the same brown. Some darker bronze accent tiles would be nice. But if you are more daring maybe fit in some glass tile in color.

Also, would you consider painting/staining the island? If you just broke up that one block of brown, it would really change the kitchen up.

And finally, I love your space. Individually all of your choices are just great, even if they did end up being a bit too muddy when put together. Would you mind sharing what your floor is? It looks really close to what I'm shooting for.

• judithva
    13 years ago

I thought you might like some of these pictures for inspiration..I took them at a Homearama a few years ago. What struck me that it might be of interest to you is the double sided fireplace (like yours) and the cabinets seem to be in the same color as your cabinets.
    Looks like the designer gave color injection from the green on the walls, carpet, curtains and the accessories.

• brickton
    13 years ago

Also, if you don't want to paint the island, what about painting the chairs? Or adding parson's slip covers? Or fabric seats? Something to break up the monotonous brown.

And Judithva has some great ideas in the photos above to, very similar setup/elements for bones with nicely decorated space that isn't blah.

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I cannot even tell you how amazing the advice here is! I assumed I was doomed to paint my cabinets or furniture but you have made me realize there are other ways to make an improvement! I especially like the idea of putting glass in some of the cabinets, I think it would help break up the brown.

We have white dishes from Pottery Barn which would come through the glass and look great. I always keep my cabinets organized so that will not be a problem!

If anyone else has ideas/suggestions, PLEASE keep them coming, I am so glad I posted this. I will copy the link to the decorating forum as well.

THANK YOU!!!

• bireland
    13 years ago

Your cabinets, floor and backsplash are great. Just warm up the kitchen with finishing touches, accessories and a warm wall color. I would suggest a colorful rug under your dining table and pick up some color from it for the walls. You have plenty of space on top of the cabs for accessories.

Here is a link that might be useful: Idea that came from Pottery Barn

• willis13
    13 years ago

I agree with the above, your kitchen is a great space, it just needs personality and colour. It needs "decorating" :)

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see what you choose to do. A further idea - if you put glass in those cabinets, paint the interior of those cabinets in a color you're using elsewhere, e.g., wall color, maybe a different shade of that.

What fun you're going to have!

Rosie

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see what you choose to do. A further idea - if you put glass in those cabinets, paint the interior of those cabinets in a color you're using elsewhere, e.g., wall color, maybe a different shade of that.

What fun you're going to have!

Rosie

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Hi, how about adding some live plants? IMHO, I think they do more to make a 'house' a 'home' than just about anything else ...
    ~Missy

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

brickton: Thank you. The floor is oak, mixing 2 3/4 and 3 3/4 boards with the Special Walnut stain from Minwax and poly on top.

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

judithva:

Those pictures are amazing! I feel like they make the room one big space instead of 3 connecting rooms! I can't wait to show these suggestions and pictures to my husband. That's the only time I've seen a fireplace done similar to ours, it's very helpful!

• stolenidentity
    13 years ago

this looks familiar to me somehow, and I remember suggesting reversing the fireplace sides decor. As for the kitchen, it's lovely and bright. There is lots going on on the counter but nothing going on on the top of the cabinets. Adding some decor would soften the space, and prarie girl is right on about some plants. If you are no good with real plants, just add some fake ones. Don't treat that window, maybe hang some art above. I don't know how to dress up that coffee bar, I can't tell what that part of the space is used for. Glass fronts on the cabs don't seem right for this kitchen imo, but putting some white dishes around and tossing some bright colors around them would be pretty!

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Yes, definitely do something with the counter stools. Whether painting them, or just buying a couple more in a color (even black) would break up some of the monotony.

• autumngal
    13 years ago

I'm probably going to be echoing what others have said so well already, but I'll say it anyway! Your kitchen is really lovely, but I agree with everyone else and say what it really needs is some color and personality. For color, that pop of green in the photos above is amazing (also love the idea of matching with the pendants!). For personality, I'd think about something that is really you and incorporate it in. You have some lovely photos on your mantle, are you a photo person? Maybe you can find a central frame color and put up a bunch of photos on your wall and above your cabinets. Maybe you love peaches and have a collection of peach cans (reaching, I know, but you never know). Regardless, find that niche and use that to hang on your walls and as touches, if it can match with the walls, even better (maybe a jadeite collection with jadeite walls?). Anyway, hope that helps and isn't too repetitive!

Love your space!

• teaforwendy
    13 years ago

I would paint it that fabulous green and maybe change the pulls on the cabinets. You have a great space and beautiful home.

• growlery
    13 years ago

Paint some walls.

What do you think about a light blue? Sky, robins egg, palladian etc. Not too wimpy.

Blue is a fantastic complement to wood and brown tones, so it would help there, and also look fresh and lively.

Paint is the easiest, cheapest biggest change you'll get, whatever color you decide. I agree with mikomum -- for a test, start with the little scrap of wall around the coffee bar.

It wouldn't take you much more than an hour to give it two coats, even considering drying time between coats, and you'd have paint left over from the quart to start on another area if you liked it. (I never tape. I find it makes a bigger mess, and latex washes off easily when wet.)

I wouldn't try anything else until you paint (unless you happen to have it lying around the house). It just won't have the same impact. It's like putting on a ring or eyeshadow before you've changed your dress.

• dawnbc
    13 years ago

First I would find a fabric that you love and add it to the eating area windows and the window above the sink. If you don't want to paint your island, paint those chairs. Pick a colour from the fabric and use that on the chairs. Adding some seat cushions would soften things up too.

Lovely kitchen, you just haven't accessorized yet. Have fun shopping!!

• paula0564
    13 years ago

You have a lovely home,but I agree with a lot of folks here. I would put more color on the walls. OR why not some bright window treatments/Toppers, to bring color to the areas? It would give a homey feel.

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

I did not read all the responses so perhaps someone has already suggested. But what about replacing the tall cabinet uppers on the seperate cabinet area with glass? What about glass as well on the cabinet corner uppers in kitchen? that may be nice!
    I also would start looking for pots, vases etc in the colors of the fireplace to put up above your cabients. Nice looking home too btw!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I think you just need some glitz. Go out and see if you can find some fabric (print) you like - a lot! for some chair cushions. I'd look for that first and take colors out of it for paint color and some other things.

painting the walls will make a big difference.

a tall pot (in a rusty or goldy color - from the stone) on one side of the fireplace with tall dried grasses in it and some curly sticks in with it (check Michael's; my sister bought some there) - and some things with maybe berries on them to add some red or orange.

a fireplace toolset on the other side? black and pewter.

larger center pic over fireplace - the one you have is nice - can it be enlarged? and put in a silver frame. the black frames just add to the dark/dull look.

a large area rug under the table/chairs - something similar to an oriental print. muted in colors.

change cab hardware to a silverish color - stainless or pewter maybe. That'll add some all around the kitchen and the coffee bar area.

bar area - new coffee pot in a cheery color? a plant that has color when the coffee pot isn't out. a colorful jar with SS utensils in it.

a bit larger centerpiece with some color in it.

a fruit bowl on island - banana, orange, apple = color.

there's room over the sink window for a horizontal print - with some color in it. a saying, flowers, fruit, ?

valance over windows by table in that fabric you pick you - to match the chair cushions...or a solid color picked from the printed fabric.

I'd use some earth colors (seeing the trees out your window). greens (throw in some bright ones like lime), golds, maybe some ylw, orange (or red).

a few choice pots, vases, statues etc on top of cabs. can't overdue that tho.

note items on top of cabs. L to R - a pot with dried grasses and sticks, a cowboy or Indian, a jar, a horse. (we've in the SW). she has pewter handles on the cabs.

Pick shapes, items that appeal to you and will add interest and color into your kitchen.

• galleycook
    13 years ago

Just wanted to chime in the shared observation that you have a beautifully elegant and tasteful kitchen. I would suggest trying on just one or maybe two of the ideas already posted and see if you love the results. Then stop and live with it for a while. Hope you keep us posted on any changes you make. I'm sure it will look even more gorgeous!

• susanilz5
    13 years ago

Your home is beautiful. I like your cabinets, in fact I like everything. You have a great neutral pallet to start with. You just need a few finishing touches.

First change the hardware on your cabinets to nickel, it will make a big difference. Change or paint your island chairs so they contrast with the wood in the kitchen. Paint the walls, add simple window treatments and a beautiful rug under your kitchen table. Your done and your room will look lke it should be in a magazine.

• msrose
    13 years ago

Oh, I love the "green" that judithva posted. That would make all the difference in the world.

Laurie

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Lipton -

Great suggestions for your great space!

Color & accessories are what your space is calling for.

Quickest/most inexpensive ideas

- Wall color - A close up of your counters, back splash, and fireplace would be helpful in decision making. Perhaps a green - Judith posted or I see the possibility of a terra cotta type
    quick pics
    http://www.myperfectcolor.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MPC0007006
    http://www.myperfectcolor.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MPC_BM_HC-49
    http://www.myperfectcolor.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MPC0006945
    http://www.myperfectcolor.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MPC0006948

The trick with wall color is to get samples - either paint them directly on the wall (Large) or a large poster board &
    live with it for awhile - see it in morning/afternoon/night lighting

Cabinet hardware - your space is calling for some nice stainless or pewter type hardware
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/Home/OnlineCatalog.aspx?id=4e50a32c

Yum - cabinet jewelry
    http://www.carpediemknobs.com/

Rugs -
    A long runner near your sink area - I have found wool flat weave Kilim type hold up very well and the oils in wool have a natural stain resistance

http://www.garnethill.com/samarkand-kilim-flat-weave-wool-rug/117581

Agree w/Lascat - Make that fireplace a focal point - right now it's just .... there

A nice rug -
    http://cdn2.overstock.com/images/products/L11644839.jpg

http://cdn2.overstock.com/images/products/L10784890.jpg

Either 2 chairs w/a table/ottoman in between or a loveseat - not sure of the dimensions of the room/area - It has to say "I'm comfy come sit here"

Love Lee industries - great USA made furnishings, well made, very comfy!
    http://www.leeindustries.com/ProductShowThumbs.asp?id=145187059071&pg=all&kw=chair&w1=&w2=&d1=&d2=

I like this one
    http://www.leeindustries.com/productdetail.asp?id=234105251114168243223071168082048116240246036078200191119199246229049140248203199147124092243208022112042111020246124008012060053206221136080139037238

http://www.leeindustries.com/productdetail.asp?id=045077240115169245187014247027181090000147199207189217151014253076048250180010160202221026123225205209175065160075075225029242021127162137233217165247

http://www.leeindustries.com/productdetail.asp?id=058235177226242006102013106134226197141228158126154034230233244221235069157069137059114053118014240236080210149040178064002049092216031136146214100108

Apartment sofa or loveseat
    http://www.leeindustries.com/productdetail.asp?id=025252111043075029122002208027111062149067080179123029170122034092186026125030231030063178154149058233149173001139056171220016056036036207208175010172087251040

http://www.leeindustries.com/productdetail.asp?id=092110180232235037072182083168223126223147211024007025180190121071030146135006132241195130240253113230197181067239175096000140058028071076040223188040196052228

Fabric choices
    http://www.leeindustries.com/FabricShowThumbs.asp?mode=&id=225101187215134190064227016137166035056216234&pg=all&kw=&pts=&cs=

Nice fabrics for window treatments - Perhaps Roman shades
    http://www.smithandnoble.com

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/zoom_swatch.jsp?materialId=12024

nice cushions for both the breakfast table chairs & the counter stools - coordinating with the window treatments & rug/s

Personally I would refrain from putting glass in the bar area and/or decorating the tops of cabs - Until you have added color/fabrics/rugs & accessories

It seems like an undertaking & it is - I would recommend deciding what you want the space to be - for example the fireplace area - you could add seating or put the breakfast table there.

Find inspiration pics!
    A random one of mine
    http://traceryinteriors.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dsc07263.jpg

I would decide on rugs first - since they will cover a relatively large expanse - then start choosing - wall color, window treatments, chair fabrics & what colors you accessories will be - Plants in some nice pots sporadically placed. Art work

Best to you -
    Lovely space just needs to get homey

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

You kitchen is beautiful. Please do not paint those pretty cabinets! I agree with the others, paint the walls. Perhaps a green or blue, not too dark but not pale, either.

If you don't want to cover the windows you could do a valance just on the top for color.

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The suggestions are so overwhelming - in a good way! I went from having zero ideas except painting the cabinets to having a million ideas! The inspiration photos really help. And I did post my fireplace in the past trying to get help with that!

Thank you so much, I will keep checking back in case anyone else has ideas!