Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintpanther

Undermount sink support, plywood or metal clips/rods?

paintpanther
14 years ago

Hello forum again,

Went to talk to a fabricator and he said he uses some metal material (looks like rods and screwed to something). Another fabricator uses only plywood. We are looking at installing 3cm granite countertop.

Is one better than another, does it even matter?

Comments (35)

• bluekitobsessed
    14 years ago

***IMPORTANT***! Clips have to be strong enough to support the weight of the sink. I had a case in which the clips weren't strong enough, and after a few years the caulking started separating, causing mold growth. For this reason, I prefer plywood or other support at the base of the sink, especially for heavy sinks such as Shaw's type sinks.

Blue

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For the sink, we are planning to use stainless 18 gauge most likely. so how do we know the clips are strong enough?

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

The weight problem has to do with the type of sink. SS is not that heavy, as opposed to a procelan/soapstone/stone-like-substance sink. With SS, the clips are usually steel, so it's the number of clips that are important. The more the merrier.

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry we have no experience with these, so how many clips for a 34" wide SS sink? Any guidelines? Or should i just ask for plywood support?

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

My husband built a plywood support.
    It is a good thing he did this because our sink
    was so deep we had to alter the sink cabinet.

The Granite installers said they use clips anchored to
    the underside of the counter with screws
    My DH still wanted it to be really strong.

Heavy sinks (Like a Cast Iron) need support from the base
    of the cabinet to keep them in place.

Here are a couple links that might explain it better.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/662_Undermount_Kitchen_Sinks_comments.shtml

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/undermountsink

http://www.hometips.com/articles/undermountsink.html

• paintpanther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the links.

Guess we will have to check with our fabricator again, i guess i should trust him, no?

• sandywp
    9 years ago

Hey there halo777, My sink is falling in now (after 2 almost 3 yrs). I asked my counter guys and they said it won't fall in. Now they want to charge me $150 for what they say happens every 2 or 3 yrs and wouldn't use the hardware. Would you be so kind as to share your toronto solution to this problem? thanks muchly

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The Hercules Universal Sink Harness will support any sink permanently. It is inexpensive, yet turns your sink into a 10" deep truss, making one of the weakest parts of your countertop into the strongest:

Here is a link that might be useful: HUSH

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

Companies that use only silicone or adhesive to install sinks should be flogged! It's a lazy way of doing it.

• annac54
    9 years ago

We used SinkSetter brackets. We have 2cm granite and didn't want to sandwich the sink flange between the granite and plywood in case the sink needed to be replaced. 3 years and no problems. Our granite has lots of areas that are I guess "inclusions" (Seafoam green). I wouldn't want to put clips into those areas and count on them holding up a sink. It's the nature of that particular granite.

No way would I go with only silicone. You need to figure the support is not only holding up the weight of the sink, but the sink when it's filled with water and dishes.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

Which brace/bracket for apron front?

I've been looking at the sinksetter brackets and at the hercules sink harness. I am also using 2 cm stone (quartzite), and will install the stainless steel apron-front sink linked below. I am guess we need side-to-side support under the sink itself. I really want to avoid big clunky wood support so I will have room for my cleaning supplies. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vault SS apron front sink

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Juno_barks:

I'm going to be using a HUSH to support a retrofitted apron front sink just like yours soon. I'd highly recommend it for this application.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

It has to have extra support. DON'T trust the fabricator unless he also says it needs to be supported. Often the fabricator and installer are two different animals. They send out laborers who may not have been trained in supporting heavy sinks like the fabricator would like you to believe. My husband looked at how the installers had hammered nails into scrap pieces of wood that weren't strong enough wood into the side of our cabinets and immediately got his tools out and made it right. He said the blocks they put in didn't even touch the bottom of the sink flange. He did it right cutting nice thick pieces of wood and screwed several screws into the wood pieces that he chose. I don't worry about it falling down ever. It's as snug as a bug in a rug. Here's a pic of how DH made the sink supports secure.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

Depends on the type of sink. I had a a Shaw apron sink installed. The knucklehead who did my cabinetry totally messed up and did not provide adequate support.This is on my "to do" list of fixes for the kitchen remodel.

My backsplash tile installer pointed out the problem to me - I thought the countertop fabricator had messed up on the caulking; the sink is gradually "sinking."

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

HUSH it is -- I guess the U for universal should tell me it will work with any sink configuration. Five bucks, so little $$ for such a vital task. Thanks Trebuchet!

Here is a link that might be useful: HUSH sink support

• PRO
    Atlanta Classic Stone
    8 years ago
    I have seen a lot of producys on the market and anyone with an Undermount Sink should use Cinclips! THEY ARE THE ONLY PRODUCT WITH A GUARANTEE THAT YOUR SINK WILL NEVER FALL DOWN AGAIN! You don't need to lay on your back to install them either! Simple, yet extremely strong! The only product we endorse. Used by the Pros!
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

At seven times the cost of a HUSH, Cinclips should wash your car too.

• PRO
    Atlanta Classic Stone
    8 years ago

In my opinion CINCLIPS are 10 times stronger than a HUSH! I DON'T see any warranty for a hush either, nor do I ever see anyone putting any weight into a sink mounted with a hush! They mount 7 times faster than a hush also, what's your back worth Joe?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Atlanta Classic Stone:

I just used a Sink Strap and may have found my new love. With the HUSH, you have to measure/guess at the length you'll need and adjust accordingly. The Sink Strap is completely adjustable, no guessing or measuring, so it's even easier and faster. Neither requires the installer to lie on his back.

A HUSH or a Sink Strap turn an undermount sink into a truss, making one of the weakest parts of a countertop into one of the strongest. CINCLIPS do not. This is not opinion, it is fact.

• PRO
    Atlanta Classic Stone
    8 years ago
    Joe, The time you spent putting the mount on the wall for that strap you would be done installing your sink with Cinclips and it would be stronger still!
  • Amber
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Joe, I meant to ask you... And this doesn't at all seem like an awkward time... I decided to go with the Blanco Super Single - should I buy the clips they have or just use HUSH? My fabricator is installing and I'm calling tomorrow to see what they suggest, but wanted your opinion first.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Amber:

Insist that your fabricator use a Sink Strap or a HUSH. He'll thank you eventually. Don't use the clips; they're a pain if you ever need to change your sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Atlanta Classic Stone:

Have you ever installed a HUSH or a Sink Strap?

• PRO
    Atlanta Classic Stone
    8 years ago
    Joe, Yes I tried one once and threw it in the trash after about 10 minutes. Like I said earlier, by the time you install the 8 screws needed to install a hush you would be through with Cinclips installation and it would be a stronger install. Trying to shear screws is harder than pulling screws out!
  • lazy_lurker
    8 years ago

My sink has been installed for a year now - its an undermount sink, 36 inches wide, and we used the HUSH. Yes, you have to fiddle a bit with getting it to the right size, but that was super simple and fast. Our sink is in there rock solid - why wouldn't you use this simple device?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"Why wouldn't you use this simple device?"

You wouldn't use a competitor's product would you? The inventor of Cinclips and Atlanta Classic Stone, seem to be the same person.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I've used Cinclips. They are a fine product, especially for the DIYers. Fast, strong, pricy.

• millworkman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Interesting he would not disclose that info but rather make it sound like was a customer purchasing and installing these Cinclips.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Atlanta Classic Stone
    8 years ago

Yes, I am the inventor. I have been in the granite business for over 35 years and these were invented so that anybody could install or repair a failed undermount sink securely and never have to worry about it again. To those of you who have any doubt just read the positive reviews on Amazon. It seems to be holding true that Cinclips is the number 1 best selling product for under mount sink installation. Ouch!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

We're comparing apples to oranges. Cinclips are a fine product and will be a best value to the lesser-skilled DIYer who will gladly trade ease of installation for a bit more money.

For a production fabricator, it isn't even close. The significantly lower cost of the HUSH and Sink Strap (7x's less) combined with the speed that comes from experience of repeated installations, make them a better value for that buyer. As a general rule, production fabricators don't shop and review on Amazon for common supplies, unlike a homeowner with a failed sink to repair.

• philpayne56
    4 years ago

I have undermounted small bathroom sinks that were installed without clips for support. What is best remedy? Counter surface is quartz.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

You can still install a HUSH, but I'd probably wait until the sinks failed.

• Michelle Linden
    last year

Saving this info!