Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Fire & Ice - Possible source for dark amber tiles

Buehl
12 years ago

To those who have been searching high & low for dark amber tiles to replace the peachy ones in Jeffrey Court's Fire and Ice...

I just got off the phone with a rep at Jeffrey Court [(951) 340-3383]. They have a new tile that is supposed to be a dark amber in a 1-5/8" x 1-5/8" size. I was told they will be the same as the Chapter 14 "Dots" tiles...just bigger...in a size that will fit in Fire & Ice as replacements for the existing square glass tiles.

The rep says the Copper Canyon has the dark amber tiles. I'm going to try to find a place where I can see them in-person to find out just how dark they are (they don't look that dark to me, but maybe in person...)

These tiles just came in and are not on their website nor are they in their product literature yet. The rep was surprised they had made it into his computer already!

According the website they also now have...
"...Long time favorites such as our renowned Fire & Ice Mosaics, and Stone/Glass Mixes now all have coordinating 4" x 8" Field Tiles, Crowns, and Domes making cohesive designs even easier!..."

Just an FYI for those still looking for dark amber tiles! I'll keep you posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court's Chapter 14 Raindrops II - Dots

Comments (28)

• kathylquiltz
    12 years ago

I was recently in a tile showroom and saw a sample of Jeffrey Court's 'Fire and Ice". I asked the saleswoman if they carried any glass tiles that could be added to the Court line as another accent color. She said there was a new glass tile option in the recent Court catalogue. We ordered a couple samples. I also ordered samples of Root Beer Candy Glass from Modern Tile Studio. The colors were similar, but I thought the Root Beer was a little darker and had a bit more iridescence. The Modern Tile Studio website says they have a minimum order of 11 sheets, but if you call, they know people are looking for some accent tiles for F&I. So they are charging $15.00 handling and shipping for small orders. They did insist that I order a sample first, since their Root Beer color has changed recently. Although I would have preferred even a little darker, my F&I is being installed today and tomorrow! Can't wait to have it done!!

• kathylquiltz
    12 years ago

I was recently in a tile showroom and saw a sample of Jeffrey Court's 'Fire and Ice". I asked the saleswoman if they carried any glass tiles that could be added to the Court line as another accent color. She said there was a new glass tile option in the recent Court catalogue. We ordered a couple samples. I also ordered samples of Root Beer Candy Glass from Modern Tile Studio. The colors were similar, but I thought the Root Beer was a little darker and had a bit more iridescence. The Modern Tile Studio website says they have a minimum order of 11 sheets, but if you call, they know people are looking for some accent tiles for F&I. So they are charging $15.00 handling and shipping for small orders. They did insist that I order a sample first, since their Root Beer color has changed recently. Although I would have preferred even a little darker, my F&I is being installed today and tomorrow! Can't wait to have it done!!

• kathylquiltz
    12 years ago

So sorry..........I don't know why this posted twice.

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Buehl- I was following F&I from another post and wondered if you had investigated any of the distributors for F&I? I just emailed Tiles International in Orchard Park NY, and had wondered about the one in California.

Kathy- is it in??? =)

• kathylquiltz
    12 years ago

My F&I will be grouted tomorrow. It was sealed (enhanced) today. Wow! That stuff is powerful! I was practically high all day just breathing it! I had doors and windows open and spent most of the afternoon in my sewing studio. We even ate out tonight so we could avoid the fumes.
    I'll post pictures soon. And I have a sheet + of the root beer glass tiles left over.

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

This is good to know. At least twice a month someone contacts me to ask where they can get replacement glass tiles.

I'd love to see samples of any glass tiles people find to see how close a match it is to my dark amber replacement pieces.

Jodi-

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Kathy- how many sheets of root beer did you order for inserting into the F&I? Any thoughts on placement? It seems most posted pics show a totally random placement? Jodi?

I am considering using F&I as a focal point (worried it may be too much in my small kitchen) I am on the other end of the pendulum with off white cabinets and mahogany counters (more berry berry colors)

How I got here for white subway tiles is scaring the heck out of me but I am in love with this tile! Am I out of my mind??? =)

• kathylquiltz
    12 years ago

I ordered two sheets of rootbeer and we didn't even use one full sheet. Our time frame was getting short (a Parade of homes open house) so I was worried we might need more than just one sheet. We did a random placement and I think the guys did a good job without my help. I did request they remove the grid backing before mounting so it didn't show through the glass.
    Jodi, I still think you have the best dark replacements. They have changed the coloring a bit and, to me, it's lighter than yours. I would have loved to track down something a bit more red, but it wasn't to be.
    I'd be glad to help anyone who wants to see the sample or even buy my leftovers. I'll brush up on how to post pictures and try to have some this weekend.

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

Here's some pics of mine in different lighting. I got the amber inserts from glasstileoasis.com, and I think they are lighter than Jodi's. My contractor replaced almost all of the clear and probably at least half of the peach glass tiles with the darker amber. He replaced more than I would have liked, especially the clear, but we still love the back splash. He did NOT remove the mesh behind the glass pieces and we can see it on some of the glass pieces (maybe 1/3 of the peach and clear pieces).

If you see this, Jodi, I want to thank you for all of your help and inspiration with the F&I back splash. We get so many complements on it!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kathylquiltz
    12 years ago

http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/46141/2205479950053918257S200x200Q85.jpg

I don't know if this will work. Hopefully this is a picture of my F&I with the darker amber additions and enhanced with sealer.

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

PudgyBaby ... beautiful! I love seeing F&I with cabinet and granite colors other than ours. It really shows how versatile the design is.

Never_Ending ... we ordered one 36 piece (6 x 6) sheet of replacement tiles. We took the total linear feet of backsplash walls and divided it by 36 to evenly space out the replacement pieces. The only glass pieces we replaced were the clear/white ones.

If the installer used white thinset for the job, the white netting should not have shown behind any of the glass pieces.

Jodi-

• kathylquiltz
    12 years ago

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2817199870053918257YdYWHQ?vhost=home-and-garden

Maybe this will be better than just a thumbnail.

Here is a link that might be useful: my fire and ice

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

My tile installer did use white thinset, and the mesh still shows through on some tiles. I wonder if he didn't squish the tiles onto the wall enough, if that makes sense?

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Thanks Jodi! J.C. website says they are adding 3 new tiles to the F&I chapter for those (GW"S??? =))that want to customize the glass inserts! See what you started!

Pudgy you may be right, a nice squish might blend the mesh right in. I am so amazed how complementary and striking F&I looks in each and every setting, thanks for sharing. =) I can't believe for months I just skipped past every F&I post I saw...silly me!

Kathy you are a sweetheart to take the time to post in the midst of getting a backsplash!!!I am glad you did it is sooooo beautiful- you must be ecstatic! I love how you blended your wood tones and granite. Behind the cook top is stunning, and the F&I sets it all off! Your whole kitchen is a dream! I can see the color difference between the glass tiles.

Right now I only have insulated walls staring at me and it would be so nice to at least have sheetrock to help me visualize F&I in a traditional white cabinet kitchen. I think F&I with the mahogany counters and white would be striking as an accent wall, I'm just afraid it will read too contemporary in my 1850 home. I don't mind doing something unexpected as long as it doesn't end up one of those "What was I thinking???" =)

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

NE, I'm not sure if Jeffrey Court is happy or irritated by our "custom court" backsplash. :-)

I do know a lot of people have contacted me wanting to know more about it.

Jodi-

• themastersplan2_live_com
    12 years ago

We are getting ready for an install of fire & ice. I purchased clear tiles and painted them with peblo vitrea non toxic paint inside my oven. I have got indian red with looks to be a perfect garnet. Any questions, just email.

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

themasterplan2: would love to see pics, both before and after install!

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Me too!

• kks_kitchen
    12 years ago

I will try to post some pictures in a few weeks once we are done. Here is a before and after with the tiles furnished by Jeffery Court and the ones I painted and cooked with Pebleo Vitrea Indian Red non-toxic paint. They are all laying on a red cloth so the red may show through the original transparent tiles. Here is a link to what I have gotten done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations Cabernet

• blewgo
    12 years ago

Last week, I called two of my local tile stores that carry Jeffrey Court and asked about the 1 5/8" square Raindrops II Copper Canyon tiles. They were not aware of the new size, and even checked with Jeffrey Court and their rep. No luck.

Since my backsplash will be installed this week, I decided to order the Root Beer tile from Modern Tile Studio last Friday. Unfortunately, the shipment that they received last week had mostly broken sheets and had to reorder. They were not exactly sure when they would get the new shipment, but said that they would sort through the the shipment to see if they could piece together the tile that I need. Later that afternoon, I got an email that they could only assemble a little more than 2 sheets and they were sending them to me for only the cost of shipping! Talk about great customer service. They will ship the other 2 sheets when they get their next shipment. At least my tile guy can get started. Great thanks to Modern Tile Studio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Tile Studio

• kks_kitchen
    12 years ago

To blewgo: There is another place to order the rootbeer tile. They are not called rootbeer but are called illusion brown. I have personally ordered samples of both and ordered entire sheets from one of the companies. Here is the link, hope this helps. I have some of these also but don't know if I need them or not yet. I have made my own garnet colored tiles & may mix some in.

http://www.glasstileoasis.com/category.asp?cid=162

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

Wow, kks, your garnet tiles look great. How does the product work? Are they still translucent after you paint them?

Be sure to post pics after the fire & ice install!

• kks_kitchen
    12 years ago

Thanks. This particular one is called brilliant glossy. You clean clear tile with alcohol and wipe clean. You paint one or both sides. I painted both. I painted more than 1 coat because I wanted a dark effect. Not translucent. I didn't want to chance that the mesh would show through. You can paint and bake upto 3 times. It's non-toxic. Like what you paint wine glasses with. It makes the paint permanent. I did purple, hot pink, and indian red. It's hard to tell the color inside the bottle. I stuck with indian red which is garnet. The bad news is that 4 1/2 boxes out of 9 of my jeffery court tile was broken. I took the broken back today and they are reordering from the same part of the quarry.

• kks_kitchen
    12 years ago

Well, we are on our way. Let me know what you think. I have added (rootbeer-illusion brown) tile, also the (hand painted garnet) tile, the (clear) tile and also (black cocoon) tile. All the peach tiles were taken out. I didn't care for them at all with my particular color scheme.

Half my tile was broken, so I have to wait for more to get here next week. We haven't grouted yet and I don't think I will enhance.

• angela12345
    12 years ago

Buehl, you Rock !!!

Kathylquiltz & blewgo, will you please email me from My Page.

Great looking F&I installations from all above !

never_ending, when I called Coliseum Tile in CA, they quoted me 13.65 per sheet minus 15% discount = 11.60 per sheet plus shipping. I remember pudgybaby saying one time they charged her 11.25 per sheet for 40 sheets, but don't remember how long ago that was. I know kristine_2009 said that Tiles International quoted her 12.15, but don't remember if that was per sheet or per sf. And chris45ny said that Tiles International charged her 12.09 per sheet for 30 sheets. I am going to need about 50 sheets, and shipping all the way from CA to NC, Eeek !

• kks_kitchen
    12 years ago

To Pudgybaby: We are finished. Here is the link. I would love to hear any praise or criticism from diy'ers . I have done everything I can think of to make this a comfortable kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: kks_kitchen completed

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

Wow, kks, your kitchen looks great! I missed your 'reveal' post - I don't spend much time here anymore. The transformation in your kitchen is amazing. Your mods to the original F&I are perfect - you really pulled in the cabinet and counter top colors. And I love all of your personal touches in your kitchen, esp the candy bar jar :)

Angela: I ordered my tile from Coliseum in March 2010. I don't remember the shipping/freight charge, but it wasn't outrageous. All of my tile arrived in fine condition, nothing broken at all.

• kks_kitchen
    12 years ago

Pudgybaby: I love your kitchen too. It looks more neutral. I love all the variations of each kitchen done with F&I. Each one looks different. I was able to find the black tile in the same size. I had saw another poster and the black tiles in their F&I was bigger than the other colors.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert