Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

24'' cabinets versus 30' as uppers/window backsplash

steph2000
12 years ago

Hello there. I've been lurking frequently, seeking inspiration and information as an energy audit program we are using to improve the house has morphed into new windows, doors, siding...and eventual kitchen.

The kitchen redo will wait until the energy portions are completed - excepting the kitchen window if we can find just enough solidity on kitchen plans to allow me to comfortably pull the trigger on installing that header/window pre-siding as part of the energy process.

I've chosen to go with a window that acts as a backsplash across the length of the wall. The length is easy (after finding a window company that will make triplepane windows in a long single run of 10 feet), but the height has me jumpy. Picking the height of the window when we haven't chosen the exact cabinetry we will be using seems risky - and we are working with very short walls (89 inches).

I've been playing with configurations on various applications. If we go with 30 inch uppers and add 2-3 inches of crown on the cabinets, we are going to be extremely limited in both window height and room for outlets (though there will be room on each side for outlets and partner is willing to put one or two in cabinets to get them off the backsplash area if we need to). The maximum window if we go with 30 + crown is looking like something close to 13-14 inches of glass and 17-18 inches of frame.

So...I got to wondering...would 24 inch cabinets + 2-3 inches of crown across the entire run function and look better? It would allow for either a bigger window or a few rows of tile under the window to place outlets - or both.

This is going to be the focal point of the house, as the wall between the front room and the kitchen is coming down. The design is intended to bring the outdoors in, as the private backyard (on city greenbelt) is a major reason we are remaining in this small home. There will also be a center island, and when people sit there (counter height), it will be their view.

Something might have to give here... wall outlets, crown, window height or cabinet size are all on the table. Thoughts?

I'll try to figure out how to post pics if that would help...

Comments (3)