Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumble_doodle

New kitchen layout help

bumble_doodle
9 years ago

Hi,
I am in the planning stages of upgrading my circa 1966 kitchen and would appreciate some layout advice. It's just me & DH most of the time so I think the actual kitchen size might work. It just needs some help.This is approximately what my kitchen is like now. The freeware I am using has limitations so some of the number might be a bit off.

There is a FP in the family room and we use it occasionally throughout the fall and winter. Otherwise, the room is as a "walk through" area to get to the laundry/mud room and garage. We typically hangout in the living room at the other end of the house but I think we would utilize the space more if we had a reason to be there. I would also like the FR/kitchen area to be more guest friendly as that (of course) is where our guests usually hang out when we entertain.

Must have:
Either the range or the fridge has to move.
Range is currently electric and would like to convert to propane.

Thinking of:
Removing half wall
Adding beverage fridge in the world's smallest "butler" pantry.
Moving closet door currently in FR to the kitchen as pantry.
Possibly having small eating area in FR.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Comments (12)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Are you willing to remove/shift around any other walls or doors? I ask because at a glance, I could see incorporating the butler pantry and the FR closet into the kitchen and maybe moving the dining room door over. Where does the door at the top of the picture go?

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

Do you happen to have any pictures? Sometimes it's hard to get a feel for the space on paper. How big is the step down, just one step?

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I probably should have mentioned the door in the FR near the closet goes outside to the front of the house and the door near the FP goes to laundry/mud room/garage.

sjhockeyfan, I thought we'd keep the closet and BP for storage/budget purposes but I'm open to ideas.

bluerdgddrs, I don't have any photos but it is just one step down. The closet is a step up - the same level as the kitchen.

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any ideas for work flow/appliance location??? I would really appreciate your suggestions - thanks!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what your budget is...but the first thing I would do is raise up that floor in the FR so it's all even. I think you would use your space a lot more...and it would be safer. Steps are a trip hazard, especially by a kitchen.

This is a quick idea. I'm not sure where the fire is in that large fireplace...but I tucked a chair and ottoman in the corner. A nice kitchen/game table over by the sliders, with handy access to the bar sink and under counter fridge. This corner will also give you more prep space for the range, as it wraps around. Plenty of room for a big cutting board for prep, just to the right of the cooking area.

The big fridge is now closer to the dining room and still easy to reach from the family room. I moved the closet door to make it a pantry...and maybe a baker's rack or hutch next to it. Just a few ideas :) {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

Inspiration picture for the day! {{!gwi}}From Kitchen tables and vintage kitchens

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

What if you were to put the fridge down at the other end of the sink run? Then if you had a small eating area you could easily access the fridge. Especially if you turn closet into pantry you could gather all your ingredients at once and prep.

I would put some nice chairs in front of fireplace and make the room cozy so it doesn't feel like just a hallway. Give it a purpose even if it is just to sit and be silent, sometimes that is the best kind of room to be in :).

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much lavender and blue! Both suggestions are along the lines of what I've been tossing around. Although it's still in the planning stage, I've seen some amazing spaces created from the knowledgeable people here and I m hoping to gain some insight.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I'm glad you like it!

I think Blue and I are totally on the same page, today. Maybe we should join forces and call ourselves....periwinkle :)

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

Ll that's funny! It's too bad you're across country.

Bumble I think if you can implement any of Lls ideas you will definitely be moving in the right direction. Are you on a slab or basement? I ask for plumbing reasons.

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol!
    Blue, we have a full basement (unfinished).

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

:)

I was watching the HGTV show "Fixer Upper" the other night...and they raised a step down living room to the same height as the rest of the house (with a slider) and it made a huge difference.

I can't find the video, but it looks like it will be on again next Thursday. It's Episode HFXUP-110H, if that helps...

• bumble_doodle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lavender - I'll try to watch the show.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz