Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harrimann

Kitchen displays at the PA IKEA.

harrimann
12 years ago

I had to be in Palo Alto for work yesterday, so I took a little side trip to IKEA. I like to look at the kitchen displays because they are targeted to an interesting demographic (highly educated, young, first time home owners). I looked around, but didn't see Marc Zuckerberg.

At one point, I'd planned to use IKEA cabinets in my kitchen. It was interesting to see that my favorite door style (Nexus yellow brown) has been discontinued. Oh well.

Forgive the poor photo quality.

Black cabinets with 4x4 tile backsplash in gray. (I like it!)

Large format subways. Gray again.

Narrow stacked slate-like rectangles. Gray again.

Stainless look. I think this is a panel available at IKEA. Seems like an inexpensive backsplash solution.

All white kitchen with glass backsplash. (The photo doesn't show it, but the glass has a blue cast.)

Medium brown kitchen with green glass backsplash. (I love this color combination.)

Stainless look cabinets.

That's all I have. I hope someone else thinks this is interesting!

I will note that in the Bay Area, it seems like people change houses and redo kitchens quite often, so I don't know whether there are many people who have the "forever kitchen" concept in mind when they're doing a renovation.

Comments (10)

• slush1422
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing. We are doing Adel white Ikea in our kitchen. Can't wait to be done!

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

Nice. We used Nexus yellow-brown and I was really surprised when I heard a while back that it was being discontinued. It's just such a perfect hue and I can't believe it wasn't more popular. Or there could have been QC issues that caused them to drop it -- that has happened with other items before. I haven't been to the store in a while, but it could be they are dropping the yellow-brown color entirely, as it was also present in some dining room and living room collections.

So, that means when we finally get around to the bathrooms sometime this millenium we won't be able to use the yellow-brown. The hunt begins anew!

• harrimann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I suspect the yellow-brown was unpopular with the American market since we have such an aversion to oak. I wonder whether it's still sold in other markets?

Before I liked the yellow-brown cabinets, I liked the bright blue foil finish ones. Of course, those were also discontinued. Boo!

Now, there's a gray foil finish cabinet I have my eye on. (Third photo.)

• rosie
    12 years ago

I've seen the gray lower cabinet doors in the third picture down. It's a handsome, very slightly warm, sort of enameled-look surface that's also very low maintenance. My son and DIL, who've decided to find common ground in modern decor, are considering this as a sophisticated compromise between their masculine and feminine preferences, with possibly white doors in the same style for uppers. They glow very prettily with interior lighting. The stainless doors in the bottom door look wonderful but sadly show every fingerprint.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    12 years ago

bump

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Thank you! I love gray and have been trying to figure out my backsplash. This gives me some ideas.

Nancy

• htracey
    12 years ago

We don't have an Ikea where I live, so I can't go in and look. Does anybody have any comments on Ikea cabinet quality? Are they pressed board or plywood? I'd like to do my cabinets (17 feet of lowers, and 13 feet of uppers)for around $3000. We are thinking about building the boxes ourselves and buying the doors, but are open to any options if the price ir right.

• harrimann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't remember whether they are particle board or plywood, but I do remember that they had good ratings in Consumer Reports and that the interior hardware is high quality. (Blum?)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

htracey -

Our Ikea kitchen has been installed for about 18 months now and I can only speak positively of them. They are a pressed wood rather than plywood, but the quality is terrific. They must be installed according to their specs, though. Don't let a grumpy contractor try to tell you otherwise. When assembled properly, properly tied to one another and properly hung on their rail system (for wall cabinets) they are as sturdy as anything else. And the standard blum drawer hardware can't be beat for the price.

We had 3' of wall cabinets and 23+ feet of base cabinets with all but one cabinet having drawers or pull-outs. For all of that, plusa large cover panel and the hardware (including handles), the price was about $2,600. The cabinets are all the same, so the price differences will be based on the door style you choose. If you don't go with the higher-cost doors, you should be able to keep your budget, as wall cabs are less expensive than base cabs with drawers.