Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

under cabinet televisions

igloochic
15 years ago

so...do you have one? are you thinking of buying one and you've done all your research? what do you like about your selection? what bugs you?

i can't believe it, but we're finally at the point in our remodel that means we have to get one of these things :o) we are willing to spend up to $1,000 on one that takes cable, plays cds, umm is there anything else they can do? Oh radio too would be nice....and i'd like all of this glory to be streamlined as possible.

so tell me about yours pretty please and of course the obligatory pic or two wouldn't hurt :o)

Comments (15)

• raggiemom
    15 years ago

I don't think you will need to spend anywhere near $1000. Our friends have one of the ones that fold down and they are not loving it. Says the screen is too small and I have to agree with them. We have a flat screen in the corner of our cabinets. It's a 19 or 20 inch I think. Nice big bright screen. It's a vizio(?) Hi Def We bought a small, inexpensive DVR player to sit under it . It really doesn't take up much room at all in the corner.

• makeitsew
    15 years ago

Igloochic, we moved our flatscreen tv from the counter to our nook. We mounted it with a Costco articulated bracket and had our electrician hide the cables & wires.

• User
    15 years ago

Hi igloo
    I am planning on getting one too. I have looked at a lot of options and here is what I found.

There are only a few companies that make the 8-10 inch digital cable ready flip downs with dvd, CD player, tuner, clock, ipod dock etc. They run under $350 but most customer reviews are pretty negative about screen resolution, sound etc. They are also pretty darn thick too and could not necessarily be hidden. If you really want the DVD/CD capability this is probably your best option. If you just would like to have a digital cable TV...read on.

Another option is to buy a regular 15 inch LCD TV and purchase a flip down mount so the TV could actually be hidden away by light rail in the closed position and flipped down for easy viewing. The TVs are digital cable ready so unless you wanted high def or on demand programming you won't need a box. You could listen to music on the cable channels if you want music cabability.

There are a lot of mounts out there (and some of them are crap so I would check reviews before you buy). I couldn't find a flip down mount at my Best Buy, but S Jersey is not a shopping mecca so it is not surprising that I will have to order it online (I would assume shopping in Alaska is even worse).

I can't wait to see the finished kitchen (or is it kitchens?)

• evaperconti
    15 years ago

I have an older Audiovox with a small screen, about the same size screen as on a portable DVD player. The new models have much larger screens and more features; mine is about five years old. It is tiny, but since it is directly in front of my desk area it's easy to see while I'm working. In the pic below it is on the left end of the upper cabinet run. It's shallow enough to be hidden under a light rail if you had that under your cabinets, and when the screen is lowered it would be totally visible beneath the light rail. The screen swivels but does not tilt, and I think it was about $150. They have some now that come with DVD players and radios.

{{gwi:1467504}}

• klaa2
    15 years ago

We have a Polaroid 10 inch fold down with a built in DVD/CD player and AM/FM radio.

I know, you're thinking "Polaroid, LMAO, Hahahaha hohohoho heheheh" But this thing kicks butt, seriously. Look into it.

Klaa2

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I keep looking at them but I think the price may be too high for what you get and I will more likely go with a small lcd that sits on the counter. For less than the price of most under the counter TVs you can get a 15" that will fit in the space or slightly larger that can hang on a wall in the kitchen. I still haven't dedicded for sure, because it is nice to be able to fold it up and away when you are not using them. FYI, my brother bought one for his wife that was 7" and they ended up returning it for one that is 11" and it made a big difference. She enjoys it. It does have radio and maybe dvd playing, and ran about 450-500.00. But many of the lcd's now have dvd capability where you just feed the dvd into a slob in tv. I have not seen one yet that had built in recording capability. You could always see if a wall mounted lcd with built dvd would fit into your decorating scheme anywhere - you can subscribe to satellite radio I think through your satellite tv company if you get satellite and play it on the tv.

Sue

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

the flip-down tv's are way too small. The fridge with the built-in screen is not wide-screen.
    I wall-mounted:

Sharp Aquos 26"
    Casey

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Can I move in? Not into your house, just your kitchen! (Sorry...no helpful advice on this one....)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

We love our SONY Bravia (23"?). Unfortunately, it was discontinued before we even purchased it (PC Richards still had them though, so my intrepid DH ran over to a store to pick one up for us--also available @ PC Richards online, this was all about 1 year ago). It looks great in the kitchen, and just fits under the upper cabs (while still getting maximum screen size!).

What I don't like--(rant alert!) is the fact that our cable company keeps removing channels from their line-up that are available w/out a stupid cable box, so I will soon have to rent one of their boxes (for each TV in the house), just to be able to watch anything beyond channels 2-13 (basic-basic cable). So much for my "cable-ready" TV's..... I am quite sure they have the technology to bring a digital signal to the house, without needing a "box" attached to the TV(s), they just want to charge us for the stupid boxe(es).

• igloochic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh i'm syre you're quite right about that cat mom...gad forbid our local company not get to charge razy fees to provide us with crappy service lol (we pay about $200 month for cable and internet).

i literally have NO wall space at all in the kitchen so i can't do a wall mount tvm which would be nice, and i really don't hae a great deal of counter space aside from near the range for a small one on the counter. i ended up runing cable ready wire to the back wall, but it has to hang from the cabs. i do have light rail, and they're 15" deep so there we should be ok. i just saw one of those fridge tv's the other day...man have they come down in price! but i have this subzero sitting in the garage ya see....

poloroid caught dh's eye last night. i didn't know that a normal tv could be put on a mount...i guess we'll have to check that out...i uppose we could do without dvd...we only want that for ds and he can watch free pbs stuff on cable. and blue...yes you can come live in my kitchen....the place is a bit cool today so bring a sweater (we had to eplace a couple picture windows)

gad i wish i could type lol forgive me not going back and correcting my one handed type. i'm having trouble with the freaking meds again and want to do nothing but sleep and puke :(

• lily1342
    15 years ago

So HERE's this post! I saw it referred to in a thread on page one, so did a search and nothing came up (now here it is on page 2) - or was it just that I didn't want to comb through your 300-and-some-odd posts??? :-))). I'm sure I would've seen the title "under cabinet televisions" if it'd been on page 1 of search results! Lazy me. And I don't have a broken arm either - does nothing slow you down? Anyway, glad you posted about this, igloo!

• rhibert
    15 years ago

A possibility to think about- Our plan for the breakfast bar (separating the kitchen from the breakfast room) includes a flip down mount flat-screen under the wall cabinet, running the wires through the wall down to the base cabinet below, where we will have a very compact PC attached with a tv tuner card. We will have a wireless keyboard and mouse that can be stored in the drawer below. The kids will be able to sit at the breakfast bar to do homework, it will function as a TV, we can pull up recipe websites, the whole nine yards!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

OK,

This question is slightly off-topic... I thought the US was at the forefront of digital technology. Here in Canada, I just hook the cable up to a wall outlet- no boxes... I get 'way' too many channels (in the hundreds)- and still sometimes can find 'nothing to watch'...but that's a different issue...

But rhibert's idea of just using a monitor sounds intriguing...

AND, BTW, when DH phoned the cable company to tell them we were renovating, they sent a guy by who 'gave' us a box of upgraded cable at NC, as DH is an electrical engineer, and he's wiring this house like it was some kind of commando centre...don't ask... but, golly, sounds like maybe our cable co ain't so bad after all...yikes $200/month!

• schmede
    15 years ago

Martha Stewart had a great article entitled stylish ways to conceal electronics. She had a good looking undercabinet television. I believe the article include resources. Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stylish ways to conceal electronics

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I just looked at the Martha Stewart one, that is actually a computer screen hooked to a laptop in the cabinet above and the computer has a TV tuner in it. I have one in my dest top and that is were I watch TV now since the kitchen and living room have been torn apart. A laptop with a TV tuner is another option, but you still have to hook up to cable or satellite or some type of antanae, esp. to get all the channels you normally watch.

Sue