Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with counter/backsplash choices

Posted by kmmh (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 12:21

I know I need to pick one, before the other, but I am having trouble finding inspiration pictures that have both elements that I like. We are getting white cabinets, wood top on the island and medium wood floor.

The backsplashes that I like in pictures are usually shown with a white/light counter which I don't really like with white cabinets.

Here are two examples of a backsplash I like, but I don't love the counter.

Here is another tile that I like:

Here is another tile, but I don't like it with that counter:

The counters I see that I like are usually darker. I don't like granite with a lot of movement. I do not like man made materials with chunks in them.
Love how this counter looks, but what backsplash?

I like this counter also, but not the backsplash:

So I guess I have to compromise on either counter or bs, There are very few of each that I like and since the bs seems more prominent to me when looking at a kitchen, maybe I choose that first?

Feeling slightly lost, thanks for any insights...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with counter/backsplash choices

Why does the lack of inspiration photos mean you have to compromise? I think that the backsplashes you like would look fine with the counters you like. Is the problem that you can't visualize them together?

It seems to me that having a photo of them together that you don't like would maybe mean you would have to compromise; NOT seeing a photo of them together is just lack of information.

o

So here's a mockup with the tile from your 3rd pic, soapstone counters, and Kraftmaid shaker cabs in Dove White.

o

Thank you cawaps! I guess I have a few problems. One is that I don't see the types of things I like in pictures, and when I do, it seems I like them separately , but not together (which is maybe why I don't see them together?)

I probably border too much on mathy matchy (or at least coordinating). I have trouble with putting two different whites together. I hate orange and pink together, I don't mix black and blue...

Thank you for putting those two pictures together. It is a the type of picture that I am looking for.

o

I think it's difficult to go wrong with black (or charcoal) and white with a pale pastel color backsplash. Looks like you really like soapstone (a favorite here on GW). I think soapstone would look fantastic on white cabinets with a pale green backsplash.

o

I like the 4th picture circular pattern tile with the 5th picture charcoal counter....as long as the counter is plain like the one in the picture.

o

If someone can i.d. the other tiles in the pics or find a better resolution image of them, I can drop them into my little mock-up.

o

Sorry I haven't responded, these last few comments got lost somewhere in the end of school year shuffle!

Thanks Pricklypear cactus, you helped me verbalize what I like. I never thought about it that way, but I do like a pale backsplash.

Joaniepoanie- I like the ann sacks tile too, but that backsplash definitely needs something plain on the counter!

Cawaps, Thanks again!! Are you using photoshop to do that?
Here is a similiar green one I found that I like, link to it below:

http://www.fireclaytile.com/images/made/img/vitrail/vitrail_9up/Basil_500_500.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

o

Here is another one I like.

Here is a link that might be useful: grey tile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here