Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white cabinetry- magic coating?

Posted by illinigirl (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 12:19

Does anyone know of a professional coating put onto painted cabinets to make it chip and stain proof? Someone told me once about these kind of cabinets but they had no specifics for me about what this magic coating was...only that they had it for 7 years, with 3 kids, and lots of use, and that it chipped only once. They were able to have someone come get the cabinet door and fix it and bring the cabinet door back. He did mention it perhaps was something like an automotive topcoat. This was NOT a diy project, rather that's how the professionally made cabinets were finished. I'm thinking something like what they put on top of prefinished hardwood floors?

anyone know anything about this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white cabinetry- magic coating?

You were probably hearing about a catalyzed (2-part) paint finish. They can be very wear-resistant, at the cost of being brittle, having adhesion issues if not applied under perfect conditions, and when it comes to touch-ups later, you're on your own.
There have been great strides in paint over the past 10 years, we now have Cabinet Coat, BenMoore's Advance line, and maybe others, which are greatly enhanced beyond the old gold standard of site-applied finish, namely oil enamel. The newcomers are just as hard-wearing as oil, but have no odor and are not any more difficult to apply. Of course, touching up is carried out no differently than for trim paint, as these do not yellow.
Casey

o

I don't know much, but thermofoil cabinets are super easy to clean, very smooth surface, and thermofoil has come a long ways in quality. We just did a kitchen remodel with thermofoil cabinets and we are very happy with them.

o

what do you mean about them being brittle?

what is the gold standard then for painted cabinet finishes?

ty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here