Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littleitaly_gw

Granite - How to be a smart buyer?

littleitaly
12 years ago

Hi all - I'm looking for any suggestions you may have when it comes to the purchase of granite counters. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the fabricator to layout the template and just want to make sure I'm asking the right questions and including the right things in the contract.

As an added note - I'm going through a fabricator (not a big bix store). The total job includes the granite (for kitchen and powder room), measurements (already done), templating (with me), fabrication (including upgraded edges), sink cutouts, installation of counters and mounting of sinks.

I appreciation any information all you smart people that have been through this before have to offer.

Comments (6)

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We also worked with a fabricator. Here's a few things we discussed prior to installation:

1) Sink reveal. We wanted a 1/4 positive reveal (didn't want to clean under the granite or risk breaking dishes -- or chip the granite -- when hand washing). The fabricator had never done a positive reveal before, but he did a great job.

2) Does "templating" include picking out exactly which parts of the slab(s) are used for each counter? We did this with our fabricator and it meant a lot. We were able, for example, to get exactly what we wanted on the Island ledges.

3) Where the seams will go. We discussed this in detail, not only where on the counters but which two pieces of granite would be seamed (to minimize differences in color or movement)

4) If, how, and when to seal the granite. Some granites (usually the blacker ones) don't need any sealing. Ours (light golden in tone) did. The fabricator sealed the granite right after installation. He also recommended a great product that we use to clean the granite about once a week. Our fabricator told us it contains a small amount of sealer and if we use it at least once of month we would never need to seal the granite again. We've been using it for the past few months and it works great.

Hope this helps.

• littleitaly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the tips MCMesprit!

1) I did mention to fabricator I want a "positive" reveal (was thinking 1/8) for the same reasons you shared (learned that on here!) I'll make sure this is written down BEFORE they start cutting.

2 & 3) Yes, I do get to work with them templating (goign tomorrow). They said I'll have 1 seam, and my stone does have movement. I'm hoping I - and they - are smart enough to know which pieces will fit best together.

4) Thanks for letting me know the fabricator sealed it the first time. I'll ask him about this and for future sealing advice as well. Would you mind sharing what cleaner you are using?

Additional question - I read on a thread that the underside of the granite overhang should be polished, and saw someone at one point was disappointed that hers was not. Unfortunately I can't find the threads to see what the responses were. Is there a standard with this? My edge will be a Dupont or Straightedge or a mix of both (haven't decided yet).

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter Edge Types

• riley605
    12 years ago

I've had granite several times, and I've never seen the ENTIRE undersides of edges polished. I make that distinction because yes, the polishing and the sealant should wrap around the bottom edge rather than just stopping at the bottom of your chosen edge ... does that make sense? My last house had a full bullnose (not my personal choice), and since that edge is really rounded, you could follow the polished "feel" around the bottom to just under the slab w/your fingers.

There shouldn't be an obvious stopping point where the polished sealed surface ends ... but I have seen jobs where there were kind of drippy spots under the countertop edge (not that you could see them unless you bent over and looked, but you could feel them if you ran your fingers under the edge.) That's not a quality finish, in my opinion. And if you have an overhang for an eating bar, the polished edge should extend a little further underneath - but I've still never seen one that's completely smooth and shiny like the top surface.

Now, if that is something that would really make you happy, I can't imagine it would be too difficult, but I'm not a fabricator. Definitely ask, it can't hurt! For the record, my new counters will have a straight edge finish, which is just a very slightly smoothed square corner. Just enough where you won't worry about getting cut on a sharp edge or anything. So yes, I expect a nice little continuation of "smooth and shiny" to extend under that bottom corner.

One time my fabricator really helped me was when I was at granite yards picking slabs, and getting overwhelmed. He'd helped me decide on a completely black granite as a budget-friendly choice over Caesarstone (sp?). He didn't see any reason to spend the money on a quartz composite for my kids' bathrooms when a good black granite would give me a very "solid" look (I REALLY didn't want any pattern.)

But once I got to a yard, I immediately had to get him on the phone to see if there was a difference between Indonesian and African black. IHHO, there is, and he encouraged me to choose a black from Africa. Once educated, I can see the difference in quality.

Something came up just the other day that really saved my *ss: we're doing a pretty deep eating bar, and unless he shortened the overhang on each end, he'd have to make a seam. He'd even called the granite yard to see if they had a larger slab in River White (which I'd had to search far and wide for, but that's another story), but they didn't.

So I ran over, and we adjusted the shape of the bar just a bit, he was able to change the template on the spot, and I told him I didn't have a problem at all w/a lesser overhang on each end of the bar. Some fabricators probably would've just gone w/the template in front of them, and put a seam on the end of my bar. Steve knew I would see it every day and it would bother me - even though he is fantastic and his seams are as good as anyone's - so he called me.

As far as I'm concerned, little things like that are the best reason for working directly w/a fabricator. Granted, I've never bought granite from a big box, but a fabricator keeps an eye on costs that could come back to bit him in the butt, you know? He wants to keep you happy so he doesn't end up having to re-do something. That's been my experience, anyway, and I've been nothing but happy over the years.

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago

Our Island overhang is not polished (it has a straight edged finish). To be honest, I had never really noticed. I think it would matter if we could see it or touch it in normal usage, but we can't and don't.

Re: the cleaner, here's the info:

DuPont Stonetech Professional "Revitalizer" cleaner and protector.

You can buy it "ready to use" or as a concentrate. (About the same price either way) There are a number of online suppliers if you can't find it locally.

• littleitaly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have much time to write, but wanted to say thank you! It's a little intimidating going in blind, so your experienced feedback has helped me so much to know what to expect/ask.

riley - I do understand what you mean about going slightly under - that makes perfect sense.

MCM - thanks for the info on the cleaner. I'll be hunting that one down after my counters go in.

Off to the fabricator - wish me luck!

• kitchennovice44
    12 years ago

We have 3cm beveled edge on both counter and breakfast bar and ours stops right underneath the bottom of the edge with no extension. It never occurred to me to even ask about this. Oh well...I guess it's another thing I'll know to ask about if there's a next time! At least this mis-step isn't visible! :)