Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto3kiddos

Changing to new pendants... Help me choose! Thanks!

momto3kiddos
10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on another thread regarding my island pendants. I have decided the ones that are installed are much too big. I plan to change to different ones. Luckily, the light shop I am working with is more than happy to change them out. The first pic is of the kitchen currently. The second pic is the pendants I am considering. I shrunk them all to the appropriate relative size in the space. The ceiling is 12', and the island is two levels. The table height section is on the left. The overall width if the island is 14', and the counter height portion is 12'. If I go with one of the smaller lights I will use three of them. Let me know which one you think looks good in the space and why. Thanks in advance for your input!

The kitchen currently...

Proposed lights...

Adjacent breakfast nook...

Looking back towards family room...

Comments (34)

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

If those are to scale with the island, I would say to go with 4, 5 or 6. To me, pendants over an island should be fairly small, so as to minimally block the view to the rest of the kitchen or other areas. Of those three, I think that I like #4 the best.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

That was a great job of getting them to scale. I agree that they should be small and unobtrusive. I like either 4, 5, or 6. #5 has a very dark, almost black finish. Does it come in another finish?

I really like #6. I like that it is small and that the long, cylindrical shape that mimics the long rectangular shape of the cabinets in the background and on the island. I'm just not sure if it would go with the breakfast room light fixture.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

#1 hurricane. It's less formal, more relaxed.

• doonie
    10 years ago

I like #6 the best. We three pendants I think you will be happier with the light output. The curved shapes are a nice relief from the square shapes of the cabinetry, which the other light fixtures seem to mimic more. #6 also seems to pick up a hint of the grey that is in your island. #1 is very attractive, but I would worry that you'd have to clean it more often due to the clear glass on it.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

4, or 9 if 9 is the smaller version of the one you had. I followed the thread and if you like the style of the too big version but it was just too big, why not use the same one in the smaller size?

• acheavacci
    10 years ago

I like 6 for size and 9 for style. The shape and look of the original is beautiful. Its size is the factor. Is there a smaller version of that pendant? I also think you should go with three if possible. It is such a large island, visually, two is sparse. Your space is stunning!!!

• msrose
    10 years ago

I posted this picture on your other post, but I wasn't sure if you saw it.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Oak Park Kitchen And Bath Fixtures Diskin Designs

• taggie
    10 years ago

Now that I see the scale I change my vote from #8 to #6. When viewing in the other post I initially thought #6 was too modern for your more traditional kitchen, but now I don't think so. The color plays off your island beautifully and I think these pendants will look fabulous in your space.

I still say center them over the island whatever you do (not the ceiling, not the side table). If you need extra lighting for the attached table go with an extra recessed fixture there.

Good luck!

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

6 gets my vote too

• pandora1
    10 years ago

Your space is and will be truly gorgeous when finished. In looking at your post, before reading the reply's, my vote was for #6. I can't tell you why, but was just drawn to that style.
    1pandora

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Does #6 hang from a rod or a chain? If on a rod, I wonder if there will be enough rod to hang from your 12ft ceilings.

• sbp59
    10 years ago

Don't listen to me lol...but I love #2 for that space....

• huango
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen.
    I really like #4 and 6.

When I first saw your pix last week w/ these large pendants, I was a bit taken back with the size of the current ones up.
    Your kitchen is too beautiful to be competing with those large pendants (also beautiful but too large for the space).

Not a designer, very left brain.
    Amanda

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Still like the Troy and I think the #4 version. Really like how they look in the pic msrose posted.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

#4 gets my vote

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Still like #3/#4, looks great in the inspiration photo. Don't know which scale would work better.

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys rock! My mom is meeting me at the house tomorrow to help me decide. I decided to mock up a few more. I love 4 and 6 as well. Here they are superimposed on the kitchen. I think 6 (Regatta) is fairly small, but it is roughly the size of the Bounty super roll of paper towels 6" wide x 11" tall. How is that for visualization? I have to call and see if the light will come with an overall length of more than 54". That is not quite enough in our space. The bottom of the pendant would be around 7' high. Number 4 (Maidstone) is twice as large... 12" wide and 23" tall.

Here is the Regatta In a set of three

Here is Regatta in set of 5

Here is Maidstone

Or should I get the larger maidstone and just use two fixtures?

Here is the original light in a smaller size

Let me know your thoughts! Thank you so much for all of your help thus far.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Not sure about just adding a 3rd pendant between the existing two locations. It would look unbalanced. The current one on the left looks a bit too far to the left and the one on the right looks way too far to the left.

With the size of your island, I think that I like the 5 smaller pendant idea. You might be able to keep the two existing electrical boxes and add the others evenly spaced out.

The one thing that I haven't been able to see is where your current lights sit over the island. I cannot tell if they are centered or not over the depth of the island. Do you have a photo that shows a side view of the island?

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, I plan to use three bar stools along that side of the island. They will have a back, but I have not purchased any yet. Here is an idea what it will look like with stools there. I am leaning towards a set of two so the threes are not repeating so much and the hood can anchor that end of the room instead of the lights. What do you think? This is the larger maidstones.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I think all those wires are too busy with your ceiling. I would go with a simpler, larger one. The three block your beautiful hood.

Nancy

• tulip55
    10 years ago

From a practical perspective, and from someone who likes a lot of light in the work area, I think you need more than two. I don't think the paper towel look works for the your fairly traditional space. I would choose something that relates to the one in the family room, either in shape or color. Also, decide what your focal point is, the lights or the vent because additional lighting will likely block your view. Boy, you have a beautiful view too!!!! Lovely house.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong no matter what the choice but I really like #2, #8, and your smaller original version.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

The way my crazy brain works:

I like the square shape because your room is tall, and the long pendants make the room look even taller. Not that this is a bad thing, but personally I like the way the square one (#4) balances it out.

• Denitza Kotov
    10 years ago

I like #1

• wolfgang80
    10 years ago

#1 is my favourite because it's the lightest. I like your breakfast room light because it's more chandelier and less pendant.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I am a fan of two. So I like the two larger maidstone. At first I liked number 6 and if you go with 6 then I would do three pendants in #6

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like #1, #6 and #9 because with all the rectangles, I think a rounder or cylindrical shape would work well. #1 and #9 may be a bit too big (although I really like them), so I'd go with #6 unless you can get #1 or #9 smaller.
    What's the sight line like when three people are sitting at the bar? What's it going to be like in terms of lighting function?
    I'm afraid that we're not that much help here :(

• momto3kiddos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys... I am glad there is not a consensus. That means I cannot make a wrong decision, right? Actually, my mom helped me out today. She has a very good eye for all things decorative, and she felt the existing pendants were definitely too big. That actually surprised me a bit because she likes things big and blingy!

Anywho, I ordered four of the regatta pendants and extenders so I can keep the height around 6ft. Here is a pic of my mockup. This is from straight on. Thanks so much for your feedback. I will definitely post pics again when everything is complete.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Good choice!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Really like those! Voted for them in the previous thread. Good choice!

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Perfect choice!

• alexx
    10 years ago

#6 looks nice.

• alexx
    10 years ago

#6 looks nice.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I think they will look great in your space without over powering the area. Great choice!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022