Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Dolomya marble is in ...

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

My marble, selected back in the Cenozoic era, is finally in. The good news is that, by now, my marble slab has probably 'grown' back, so it is a very green solution.

Since I entertained you all with the fascinating details of GC pricing, I thought i'd give you a few pics, too.

The slab was used for an island counter, countertop for two cabinets in the breakfast room, a desk top in my office, a pastry board, and chopstick rests (just kidding on the last one).

The distinctive thing about this marble is that the surface is wavy and honed. It makes the marble look and feel old. I really wanted old marble, but I could not find the look I wanted in any salvage. I love running my hands over the smooth hillocks! It is hard to capture this feature in a photo, but the link has a photo with fruit that gives you the idea.

{{!gwi}}

DH suggested we put the pastry board on the range's stainless steel countertop. I love the way it looks, but I find myself avoiding it. We will see whether form or function win here ... (bonus ... find the messy open burner )

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Dolomya wavy marble

Comments (31)

• sandn
    13 years ago

Looks beautiful--beautiful enough to dispell any thoughts of that pricing sleight of hand. We're still in that marble avoidance stage.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Honed perfection. You have outdone yourself, mtnrdredux. It is the platonic ideal of a piece of marble.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I love it!! The veining is gorgeous!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandn, I had marble interruptus in my last kitchen. When I did that kitchen, 9 yrs ago, people just flat out said I "could not" put in white marble! I've hungered for it ever since and never really embraced my granite countertop. I couldn't look at it without thinking of what might have been.

Honor, I hope our meals can live up to its standards!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Oh, yay! Look at all those gorgeous textural natural surfaces in your kitchen... Yummy, yummy, yummy!

• brianadarnell
    13 years ago

Looks beautiful! If only you had given us a few more glimpses of your lovely kitchen :)

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Mtn, that is uber gorgeous. Unique. All those rooms look European. Too bad I'm so clumsy I'd get dizzy and trip on those floors, lol. If I fell, I'd just stay on the floor and stroke that marble-smiling all the way. Cooking? who cares?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Aaaahhhhhh. Lovely perfection.

• gardenamy
    13 years ago

I agree....more glimpses of you kitchen and home are needed!!!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I can see some slight waves or ripples at the far end of that first photo. You didn't' get a standard honed surface, so I'm sure this would cost more than a wash of acid and some fine grit over it.

Love your floors. What are they?

• kmmh
    13 years ago

Your post was very funny-and the marble looks nice too!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all.

Lascatx - the wavy finish is not done by the installer. The Italian company I linked to sends the slabs that way, and the upcharge for that finish is priced into the slab. Install is normal.

Stacey and Westside -- European, textural, natural, all my by-words! I am so glad it comes off the way I intended.

Gardenamy and Briana, I would love to post photos, but I did already post my floors (Carlisle eastern white pine random width wide plank in Bradford Umber) and my stove (lacanche). My pendants arent in and my cabinet glass isnt in, and some trim is missing in my breakfast room. BUt I will be back!

• annachosaknj6b
    13 years ago

Well, there's another marble I'll have to look at now. So beautiful and from the photos it really does look like an old slab. I thought that was a Lacanche peeking out from your smaller slab! Can't wait to see your finished photos...it's going to be breathtaking.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Mtn: I love seeing updates of your project and can't wait for the final reveal. I love, love, love the finish on the marble! I hope you're enjoying that Lacanche, I am currently having an internal battle over the Citeaux and the Sully and I think the Citeaux is winning right now :-)

• mini_bottle
    13 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! The floors, the marble and that silver utensil holder... Very pretty!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very lovely!

• sayde
    13 years ago

It is really beautiful! I had to smile at what you called "marble interruptus." I'm so glad that you prevailed and got this gorgeous marble.
    I am so very grateful for the cautions that I have read on GW about so many things. But I almost got frightened away from choosing some of the things I most love-- marble, a Blue Star range and a fireclay apron sink.

Good luck with it and enjoy-- it is beautiful!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

OK. Now you're just showing off.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Wow. Marble is beautiful and so is the flooring. Looks great from what little the pictures are showing!!

• dretutz
    13 years ago

truly stunning. Love what peeks we see in the photos. Can't wait to see the reveal. Great taste.

• babs711
    13 years ago

I want to see more! That's lovely!!

• chicken1020
    13 years ago

there was marble in those photos?? all I saw was those beautiful floors! Really, the marble does look soft and worn in the most perfect way.

• farmhousebound
    13 years ago

All I can say is WOW!! - I love the veining in that marble!

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Mtn-You have the most wonderful way of expressing yourself and your marble is stunning. I can't wait to see your finished kitchen..in fact I want to see your whole house both inside and out. You have done an exceptional job!!

• jddar
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

Your marble looks divine! I am oohhhing and awwing over it...must now look at some of your old posts with photos while my kiddos nap, your place looks gorgeous :-) Congrats!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both, I love it.

I just got the glass installed in my cabinets, so I will take some shots of that and post them. Still waiting on pendants, one faucet, some trim et etc

• prill
    12 years ago

Why didn't I see this thread before? BEAUTIFUL! Love it.
    Do we get to see the whole kitchen?

• yellowdog2
    12 years ago

Yowza!! That Dolomya marble surely is in and it's gorgeous!! Thanks for the pictures and the giggles! I can't wait to see the final project!

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Going to have Dolomya in my dreams....WOW! That is lovely....looking forward to seeing the whole kitchen...you have given us the most divine vignettes....thank you!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Prill, still waiting on a fix to my m/w cabinet, a second faucet, some trim pieces, a pendant that needs to be swagged, and two pendants to be hung. But close! Going to take some shots tonight of my glass cabs,

Yellow, thank you!

Beach - "divine vignettes" ...I like that.