Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicgal_gw

Raised diswasher and bar

musicgal
9 years ago

We are putting in a raised dishwasher at the inside of a run that faces out into our family room. Getting past the naysayers who questioned why we'd raise the appliance (my aching back) - and the height of the bar (48 inches)- I think things are looking pretty good so far. The layout is allowing me to have clear visuals of the great room and the lake while hiding my cooking messes. The top of the dishwasher forces the bar into an L shape where it meets the wall which can be decorated in a variety of ways. Any ideas out there?

Comments (15)

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the lake view from the kitchen.

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bar height peninsula from the living area. You can see where the L is formed on the left over the raised dishwasher giving me a super deep expanse to use for trays or foo foo.

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another shot of Juan by the sink to be.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Looks like the perfect spot for a beautiful large bowl from the local art fair! It can stand on its own or hold fruit, or a costco size bag of M&Ms!

Or, a beautiful platter or tray from the same art fair, with cocktail necessities, corkscrew, napkins.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like the bowl idea - probably not the platter as much because it will be harder to see the 'art' since it's raised. Something bold and beautiful.

(Your lake view is sensational! What lake?)

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's called Azalea Lake on the perimeter of a National Forest. Small boats only allowed on it. It is partially spring fed.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

You could stick with the clean look, and put something beautiful on the wall instead of on the counter. From the living room side, it's not obvious that there is an L, and anything on the counter should somehow relate to the kitchen (so a bowl of fruit works well). But one has to be able to reach it from the bar side.

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpathome and sjhockeyfan- I like the big bowl AND cocktail tray ideas. What do you think about one of these on occasion?

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

annkh- yes, that little patch of wall is just crying for something.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think that iced tea contraption would look great, but probably only in warm weather when it would actually get used.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

"Bar height" is actually 42" high. Have you looked for bar stools for a 48" height?

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. They are more expensive but they are out there. Back in the day, my first home had a high bar and those stools were amazing. Real chrome and leather swivels. A big investment for us then in the 70's and I've outgrown the chrome, glass and bubble lamps of that era- but man, those were well made.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Love your view! We have done a raised DW in our new build home. Everyone thinks we're crazy too. Things are looking great. Can't wait for your reveal!

• bpath
    9 years ago

The tea jug for summer is perfect. In winter, how about an insulated jug of hot tea, glug, cocoa, or hot toddies, and a bowl of s'mores fixin's?

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nhbaskets- we are getting all these funny looks from the workers who have never installed such a thing in the relatively rural area where we are building. In town, where we live now, the raised dishwasher is featured in a popular builder's design portfolio- TRENDMAKER. As an aging-in-place feature, it is pure genius and I've wanted to do it ever since I saw one in one of their models.

bpathome- that sounds so cozy and appropriate. A seasonal drink station there at the wall end of the bar.