Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nesting12

why is it so %$&* hard to pick a countertop?

nesting12
14 years ago

Ok, this is mostly a vent, but also a cry for help :)

I have spent more time trying to figure out what kind of countertops to get than I have spent on any other decision (maybe all decisions) ever. I am not the take-forever kind of gal, so I don't know if this means I haven't found "it" or that it's just a hard decision!

Here's my take on the pros/cons:

1. stone: pro: beautiful, durable, probably a pro at resale con: it got taken out of the ground, never to be put back. The people who took it out probably didn't do it in the most environmentally sensitive manner. Depending on the country, it is likely the folks who took it out of the ground were mistreated. Also, more shallowly, it is a little bit overdone these days.

2. stainless steel: pro: beautiful, can be abused and will still look great. Also, usually made from recycled metal and can be recycled later. con: expensive, a bit cold looking, might look dated, might look weird to only use it, in my older house. Potentially a turn-off at resale.

3. Caesarstone: pro: I love the really smooth and beautiful textures, and it comes in an interesting set of colors. It seems really durable. It's also appropriate for my modern cabinets without being too modern. con: it hasn't withstood the test of time, so there is no way to know if it will seem like a fad later, and no way to know how it might affect resale. Also, you can't just throw a hot pot on it like you can stainless. Also also, I don't like the really speckedly ones and those are the ones with the most recycled content (and they might be more durable).

Hey, that was helpful. Thanks for letting me vent. I still don't know what to do (and welcome comments and other people's war stories), but somehow getting it written down helped.

Comments (115)

• erikanh
    14 years ago

nesting, I think it's fantastic that you're giving so much careful thought to trying to make eco-friendly choices.

Actually, my marble is already in, if you do a search on the forum you'll probably see some photos.

Best of luck with your project. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Erika

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh-- so let me know if you change anything and I'll recycle the marble :)

Kidding. I'm going to go look at the marble now, because it's fun to look at.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh. (in shock upon seeing that amazingly beautiful kitchen).

Sometimes decor really can be art. Congratulations.

I love the stainless steel counter-- now I am leaning toward having at least some stainless. It is just gorgeous.

And the marble. Wow.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Yes, Erika has a beeeauutiful kitchen. It's one of my favorites.

>If I could find salvaged marble, I would definitely use that. I'm kind of on a salvage kick, I guess.

You know, it does come up sometimes. I saw a place once where the kitchen and bath had been done with recycled marble, small pieces put together like a mosaic. It was really beautiful because of the patina.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stacey, don't know if you are still reading this thread, if you look at Erika's kitchen I think you will be swayed forever toward marble.

Which means someone will have made up their mind about a countertop!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I noticed that there was a skew of this topic into environmentalism, which I am all for, but there are not a lot of easy answers. Anything will have an effect at some point in its cycle that is deleterious.

One of the Most green things is to Not Do Anything except replace your fridge and dishwasher if they are over a certain age and not Energy Star. My parents' kitchen is VERY Green: its the same kitchen that they installed 40 years ago, with a new floor (which is only replaced due to an icemaker leak)

• erikanh
    14 years ago

nesting, thanks so much for your sweet words. You too writersblock!

I don't think you'd be at all disappointed by using some stainless steel ... it's one of my absolutely favorite parts of the new kitchen. So nice to be able to put hot pans from the stove and oven right on it. Stainless steel is considered by many to be a very green choice for building material because it's 100% recyclable.

I had originally found some Calacatta slabs on Craigslist that had been salvaged from a commercial job. I had planned to use them on my backsplash but they ended up selling them to someone else.

I see salvaged antique marble fireplaces on Craigslist all the time (Boston area). Someone I know used a salvaged piece of marble from an antique dresser for her wet bar ... talk about beautiful patina!

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, my 60+ year old kitchen with newish (all Energy Star, although very unexciting 10 year old appliances) is probably pretty great from an environmental standpoint. But I can't stand it any more :)

I think Stainless is beautiful, and I love the idea of being able to be rough with it and not worry (I would get a brushed finish). My current countertop choice is (drum roll): Caesarstone Cinder (a pretty greyish-greenish-bluish lighter shade that is very smooth) on my white cabinets and stainless on my brown cabinets. I will have a tiny kitchen, so I'll have to ponder whether it's ok to have two countertop choices, but the stainless is very tempting so I may just do it. It won't be that contrasting with the caesarstone.

Subject to change...

• naan
    14 years ago

Had to add: last week I woke up from a nightmare, cursing "#%^%) countertops" half asleep. My husband was amused.

We're trying to go eco-friendly and budget-friendly and so far the winning nominee is: porcelain tiles!

Grout, I know, grout. But the tiles are great, porcelain is pretty great stuff, and you can pick your style. I'm thinking an almost black one/dark grey, 12 x 12.

Now the tile store folks says "no one does this" which sort of makes me even more determined.

get some sleep all, y'all. Pretend you are poor. It's just a countertop. :-) I just lost my paying gig today on no notice, so pretending is less hard.
    Peace, out.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

naan,
    there's a beautiful kitchen in the Sunset Design guide book "Kithcens" that has dark tiled counters. I will try to see if I can get a scan and post it for you. This in a book with lots of marble and other high-end stuff, and the tiled counters look great.

nesting12- I HAVE seen and drooled over erikanh's kitchen! And, my decision is made. I am going to Boston to choose my slab today. I am so excited!

Stacey

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Naan-- condolences on the job. You are right, perspective is definitely needed.

I have often considered porcelain, just because I have beautiful tiles on my floor that are bulletproof and nice to the touch and that would be perfect as a countertop. AND-- they make those rectified tiles now (maybe they always did; I just noticed them) that are beautiful and subdued and that can be done with a tiny grout line. Seems every modern decor now has those on the floor-- countertops can't be far behind.

We all know porcelain lasts forever, too-- how many porcelain fixtures, tiles, etc are still around after many years? My tile has been in place 10 years and has absolutely no wear. I think a darker color is more livable, because tile has those little nooks and crannies where dirt likes to go and be seen.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooh-- Naan, check out crossville color blox EC tiles! So beautiful, and green, too! And they are rectified and would allow that tiny grout line.

Why is is so much more fun to think about other people's decisions than my own?

• naan
    14 years ago

Thank you, Stacey and nesting. Now I see I need to learn what rectified means! (I'm guessing it's those super=straight edges. NTW, I'll look into it.)

And thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I'll be ahead of a trend? Yesterday, I tile-shopped and found a Caesar tile (D-line) that I love the look of. I'll see if it's rectified.

So, thanks for the kind words. I need to settle this ctrtop decision soon. This weekend I learn to tape sheetrock. Eek.

Thanks to all the eco-friendly posters. We salvaged a 5' BB section of counter from friends who were removing it. He's a woodworker and planed it for us, then looked sad he had to let it go! IT's a great addition to our "salvage is our middle name" kitchen. I'll post photos later.

Naan

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Naan, did you decide? I still haven't, but am 90% sure I'm doing caesarstone in cinder and stainless steel. I just love SS-- it's my dream surface, I guess-- I think it's beautiful. And I love the really smooth quartz surfaces.

Of course, today I saw a soapstone table and fell in love with it, chips and all. And seeing everyone's marble makes my heart yearn, too. But I'm almost there, I think!!

• fleur222
    14 years ago

My mother-in -law has had the same marble countertop in her kitchen for 50 years. I love the idea of that! And I love marble. I still haven't decided yet though. I am thinking either marble or soapstone. I have never actually seen soapstone in a kitchen. But for some reason, I think choosing a countertop will be easier than deciding about the cabinets or even the appliances. That refrigerator thing made me sick!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

It's easy to understand why people want to be environmentally conscious and not contribute to the decline of the world's natural resources. But it's also really easy to get sucked into a vortex of concern and stop enjoying life. I would not want to purchase granite from china because they are known to have a total disregard for human rights. But Brazilian granite would not (and does not) really bother me as much. Mining is terribly important to the Brazilian economy. If it were not for mines in Brazil, many people would be living in utter and complete poverty. The mines keep people working so they can feed their families (unlike china where slave, prison and child labor is often used). Every buy a bag of potting soil? guess where the vermiculite probably came from. Baby powder? The talc probably came from Brazil. So as much as I do care about the environment, I also realize that boycotting one natural stone product is really not going to have any impact on the world's mining operations. I worry more about the impact that some manufactured products have on the environment. Formica....ever see a plastics factory? Horrid to the environment. And Formica is often set on a base of particle board which is loaded with formaldehyde which is very toxic and harmful to the environment. I can't comment on the quartz factories because I don't know anything about them, but I do know there are lots of resins used in the mfg of that stuff, so how good for the environment is it? I don't know. At least money spent on a countertop is for something that will last for a long time.

What about all the environmentally damaging products that we buy and use on a daily bases? Do you know where most tennis shoes come from? China! The conditions where those shoes are made are horrid for the environment and for the employees. And we buy pair after pair after pair of them. Same for many articles of clothing. And furniture. And cars. And plastic garbage bags. The list goes on and on and on forever.

It's just so easy to get caught up in being overly concerned about one aspect of the environment and totally overlook another. We can't stress about everything or we will all go insane. All you can do is be as environmentally conscious as you can be without obsessing about it. And chose whatever countertop makes you happy. It's not like you are going out to buy a new one next year. The choice you make now will be with you for a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: mining in Brazil

• mentler
    14 years ago

I've been lurking this forum AND picking countertops AND out of my house for 6 months now.

I picked Lagos Blue polished Caesarstone countertops and they were installed last week. I think I love them. The installer said that if I'd asked for honed he'd have talked me out of it. I say I "think" I love them because they've now disappeared under cardboard and some less good things have been happening and distracting me.

In the process of choosing the Lagos Blue I considered (in no particular order):

Slate-love the look of Vermont green (the only slate hard enough I was told). Could not afford it--$200 range

Ecotop and paperstone-didn't like colors. nobody local installs it. told it would be at least $100/sf

Icestone--too busy, read horror stories of the cement in which glass is embedded being very porous, too expensive $120/sf

granite--the only granite we would like to live with is Cambrian Black antiqued or satin. We're getting it for the bar on the island. I decided not to go with it for the counters because it might be slightly porous because of it's unique rice-like texture. I'll risk it for eating but not for cooking--not the way I cook.

marble- had it in a bathroom and it sucked up everything--lotions, potions, etc.

stainless steel- too expensive, too cold, restaurant-experienced brother-in-law said they get really banged up and not pretty.

vetrazzo and other glass --expensive like icestone, no local reps, too uncertain

concrete-like the look, but have seen it very chipped and dull-looking in restaurant bathrooms--again--too expensive

Silestone, Cambria, Zodiaq, other engineered quartz products--did not have a color I liked--the Lagos Blue seems to have a subtle changeable look that I really like

Soapstone- I used to carve this stuff after carrying it on my back out of a river valley. The sales people say it's not porous but then say it needs oiling and soaks up the oil. Wouldn't it soak up turmeric-soaked curry? Vinaigrette on beets? Also too expensive.

So I think I'll be very happy with my Lagos Blue Caesarstone and the Cambrian Black Granite. When things get unwrapped I'll try to post a picture.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mentler, we are going through very similar thought processes! It has been really helpful for me, in the last month or so, to look at every single countertop I see everywhere (it is driving my daughter crazy) and inspect it for how it has worn, how it looks, feels, etc. I love the super-worn look that soapstone and marble get (and sometimes it's super-duper worn-- chips, etc) but not for my kitchen. Same with concrete-- until I really saw lots of chipped concrete countertops and islands I wouldn't have realized how fragile it is.

I'm going with caesarstone and maybe stainless. Still debating the latter. Please do post photos when you get them!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

If you are considering stainless and are trying to be socially conscious, make sure the stainless is American made. Most stainless is not, unless you specifically ask for it and pay a premium. China is buying US scrap by the barge load. It ships to china where foundries are turning it into low grade stainless for the export market.....us!! China steel plants are absolutely horrid for the environment and for the employees who labor there. Just thought I'd pass that on to you.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, ccoombs. I'll ask the stainless people I'm considering about this. One problem is that a lot of times you can't get a straight answer from people and/or they don't care and lie to you because they think you're silly for caring! So it's a pain. But I'll try!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

They probably will tell you what they think you want to hear (lie to you). All steel that is fabricated is tested to make sure the composition of the steel meets specs. The mineral composition of the steel is one thing that determines what grade of stainless it is. The test report is called a "Mill Test Report". It has the mineral composition listed as well as the country of origin. Tell him you want steel ordered for your job that has an MRT and he won't be able to lie about it then!

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Back in the 70's, Mom's kitchen remodel included re-using a stainless steel seamless sink/backsplash/counter combo she'd had installed in the first remodel in the late 50's. It had held up that well and she loved it.
    It took a LOT of abuse. There was about 2 ft of SS on each side of the sink part, and it even wrapped down in the front. The only place there was formica was on either side of the whole thing.
    She rarely used her dishwasher and there were always heavy pots and large heavy pyrex placed on it and in the sink. There's not one ding in that counter. Even the scratches are very light, and just look like a nice patina - not nearly like the one's I've gotten in my newish stainless sink.
    I've often regretted not taking that sink/counter for myself, and just re-laminating her counter. I think the brand name is stamped on it, but I don't know what it is. Since the house has been up for sale, everyone comments on how nice it is, and that if they bought the house they'd probably keep that in the design.

• mentler
    14 years ago

Here's a few more options I considered:

Squak Mountain Stone
    I loved the look, but again, there was nobody who'd installed it. It was more than $100 SF (my max was $85), and although I liked the look, the feel gave me the "fingernails on blackboard" sensation.

Tile
    There's the grout but also the unevenness. I have 6 x 6 ceramic tile in the bathroom I'm temporarily in--the cracks makes small bottles tip over all the time. I know you could use a floor tile that was totally flat, but DH wouldn't consider tile of any kind.

More on SS
    In the end it was the cost that deterred me. I was going to go with SS on the island with the stove--but even that put me way over budget.

My Caesarstone was installed for $65sf--nothing else I liked came close to that price.

Do I wish I'd gone with a really green product? Yes, but there was almost nothing I could afford and less that I could see already installed or find anybody who knew how to install it.

After my recent debacle with the bathroom tile ( a different story that I have not posted) I'm glad I didn't experiment with installation in the kitchen. The new bath tile was ripped out last week, including the floor underlayment and shower pan. My "old" tile guy is coming in to start the project over. I am going to let him experiment with recycled glass in the shower and bathroom counter. The glass Terrazzo tiles from Dal are recycled and inexpensive.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mentler, what color cs did you use? Can you post pictures?

My quote is more like $75 a sq ft. That kind of bums me out to think I'm overpaying but I trust the installer and don't know if I have the energy to find anyone else. Is that awful? I have a small kitchen so in the end it won't be that big a difference. Listen to me... remodeling fatigue, I guess.

• mentler
    14 years ago

nesting12

I don't think $75 is bad at all--I was expecting that. I live in the Rocky Mountain West and although I haven't noticed lower prices on much (groceries are astronomical here because of the shipping costs!) maybe this is the exception. I also have simple eased edges and no backsplash. It's polished Lagos Blue.

I can't do pictures yet. It's covered with taped-down cardboard but I will when I can.

• beverly_nj
    14 years ago

Just weigh in on the environmental thing...almost all countertops seem to be bad for the environment is one way or another. The exceptions might be the paper countertop (but I didn't look into the manufacturing a lot) and Stainless. Both are extremely pricey. Either you are pulling something from the ground that won't go back or your manufacturing something in a way that is bad. Wood could be recycled just like Stainless -it would also biodegrade eventually if throw out- but the forests are already depleted.

After considering absolutely everything, I went with Zodiaq Argo Green. It was one of the cheapest quartz I could get through my KD and it was low maintenance. I ease my guilt of environment with theknowledge that it is manufactured in Canada, so the final product didn't need to travel far to get to me.

If anyone is interested: Cambria is manufactured in MN. LG makes a quartz and opened a factory in GA a couple years ago. Silestone is made is Spain. Ceasarstone is made in Italy. I believe Ceasarstone was the original maker of Quartz. The process is essentially the same for each company since the guy who invented it sold the concept to lots of people. The process invloves using the previously unusable quartz bits that are leftover in mines, etc. and mixing them with resin. most of these compaies work hard to be as green as possible (Cambria uses the water run off from manufacturing to water their grass. Most incorporate bits of recycled glass in some of the colors. One of them mentioned using the scrap wood in the plant to make the shipping pallets/cartons/whatever it is called.)

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

I'm late to the party here, but just to say that DHs friends installed a marble countertop that was made from salvaged pieces sectioned together. Might there be an architectural salvage near you (lots of old marble via old furniture tops)?

• sayde
    14 years ago

No mentions of wood as an alternative. Interesting

• gldnfan
    14 years ago

While this topic may have run its course I will add my experience with Ice Stone for anyone who may search for it.

I fell in love with a particular Ice Stone color - as a relatively new product I did not find many reviews from people who had installed it.

I hope I will save other people the frustration and disappointment I have experienced.

I have Ice Stone on my large 4 x 12 foot island and used the remnants for a wine bar - I actually told the dealer I was using it for a wine bar counter and a decent sales rep would have told me how foolish that would be. She just smiled and agreed that was a good way to get the most out of my slabs.

The first weekend we were in our house we had a birthday party and set out a drink dispenser with lemonade in it - it had a leak. 2 Hours later the wine bar counter was ruined - huge round shaped etched area where the lemonade had leaked. I fully admit I was ignorant of this issue and no one told me - but I probably should have researched better. Obviously spilled wine will also be a hazard - with the additional issue of staining - the stuff stains easily no matter if it is sealed first. One can try a wax sealer but there are all kinds of issues with that as well.

The final flaw in this unfortunate product - the seams. Mine started to come apart almost immediately and had a jagged look from the beginning. I thought it was my installer who made some other errors - the only saving grace is that the installation was free in the end so I spent a lot less for a countertop I am unhappy with - but then I went to a new fro yo place that had ice stone countertops - all of the seams were had come apart - and they all had a jagged appearance - I asked the owner who installed them and it was a different installer. I think it is the nature of the product - it is difficult to get a smooth cut because the pieces of glass chip out and create jagged edges - these edges do not adhere very well - at least not with the epoxy Ice Stone is recommending to installers.

Anyway, I would never put this stuff in again or recommend it. People ooh and aahhh over the look but I wanted a hardworking surface and I got a big 'ol pain my backside instead!

On the flip side I love my stainless Nucrete perimeter counters from Sonoma Cast Stone. Beautiful finish - chip resistant and truly stain/etch free. It is a dream to clean and looks gorgeous. When I can afford to I will replace the ice stone with the same concrete. SO much for buying one of the "greenest" products.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought a lot about Ice Stone because I love the look, and the recycled content, but two things got me changing my mind-- a friend had the exact same chipping issues you mention at a seam, and I found out that ice stone is essentially concrete (with the recycled ice mixed in it), with all of the problems of concrete countertops. Concrete is just not that durable, it seems, and there's all this sealing that has to happen and who has time for that!

They should have told you about the sealing-- that's just bad business.

I am so sorry you had these issues! In the end I choose a caesarstone with recycled glass in it-- it's a totally different material from ice stone (with admittedly less recycled content, but there is some) and environmentally I don't get huge points because it comes all the way from Isreal, but trade offs are made...

Can you just rip the whole thing out and get something else? Again, it's such a shame this happened, because ice stone is really pretty, and cool as an idea.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought a lot about Ice Stone because I love the look, and the recycled content, but two things got me changing my mind-- a friend had the exact same chipping issues you mention at a seam, and I found out that ice stone is essentially concrete (with the recycled ice mixed in it), with all of the problems of concrete countertops. Concrete is just not that durable, it seems, and there's all this sealing that has to happen and who has time for that!

They should have told you about the sealing-- that's just bad business.

I am so sorry you had these issues! In the end I choose a caesarstone with recycled glass in it-- it's a totally different material from ice stone (with admittedly less recycled content, but there is some) and environmentally I don't get huge points because it comes all the way from Isreal, but trade offs are made...

Can you just rip the whole thing out and get something else? Again, it's such a shame this happened, because ice stone is really pretty, and cool as an idea.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Well, nesting 12, have you chosen or are you still philosophising about it? Me, I thought I had decided and now am re considering my decision. So I have not decided and truely wonder if I knew why it was so difficult, might it be easier?

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have templated and chosen, yes! I'm really excited. Quartz reflections, caesarstone. I will post photos when it's done (in two weeks or so). What are your current choices, fleur222?

• zelmar
    14 years ago

I feel very fortunate. The counters were the first thing I chose for my kitchen when I first started seriously thinking about renovating 15 years ago. The new kitchen became a reality 4 years ago. Our counters are a mica schist from a quarry called Ashfield Stone in W. Mass.

The Pros:
    ---It was quarried locally and fabrication was done at the same site. It took less than 1/2 a tank of gas to get it to my house via a pickup truck. Workers are paid fair wages.
    ---The stone is gorgeous. It reminds me of a cross between soapstone (velvety feel) and granite. I wanted unpolished but DH wanted polished--he won and I'm glad he did. The polished doesn't have a high gloss look--some are surprised to find it is polished. We sealed it twice when it was put in and have done nothing else to it since.
    ---The stone has enough light gray (mica?) speckling mixed in with the dark grays and blacks so that it stays nice looking even when in use. Crumbs aren't very noticeable.
    ---After 4 years of use I've never noticed any rings or etching from lemon, oils or the perpetual spilled coffee grinds. Nothing has affected it and I haven't noticed any chipping. To me, it's the perfect stone and perfect countertop.

Cons:
    ---Since this is a small operation I believe the widths of slabs that can be fabricated are limited. Our largest counter piece is 7' x 34". We have another peninsula that is 39" wide. I think 4 years ago this was close to the max. width they could handle but it's possible/probable they've gotten new equipment since.
    ---I don't know how this stone compares in price to others since I knew what I wanted and did no comparison shopping. I recall approx $80/sq ft (not including installation) 4 years ago.

I'm not trying to "sell" this particular stone. My point is that you don't have to go to Brazil or China to get a beautiful durable product. I knew about this quarry by happenchance--perhaps there are similar low key operations with a similar great product in other parts of the country.

We believe in keeping stuff as long as possible and we plan to have our kitchen (except appliances) last the rest of our lives and hopefully beyond. We felt renovation was necessary. The previous owners knew nothing about carpentry and built the kitchen themselves. The large open shelves weren't screwed into studs and eventually tipped forward, pulling the sheetrock off the studs. They used luan (sp?) for the counters and it deteriorated quickly. We needed to put better insulation in the walls and to replace really leaky windows.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It would be fun to see photos, Zelmar! I couldn't do black (kitchen too small) but I love black countertops and I've never seen that stone.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

I'm the latest casuaty of this sea of indecision. I was set on quartz after DH nixed the laminate over particleboard. Then we had to save $$, so I decided again on laminate, and that was that. But now, I cannot find a color/pattern I'm happy with.

I thought I was all about a busy, colorful countertop, but now I am not. I now want calm and serene. I laid out several large pieces of the WilsonArt HD in Bella Capri, and it's just too busy, and the color comes out too pink/salmony in my kitchen. We'll have 14 ft on one run, which is long.
    The only thing that comes close is the Santa Cecilia gold by Formica, or the Girona Beach by Wilsonart. I love the HD finish in the Wilsonart, and was so hoping to find something there, but I just don't like most of the colors/patterns. They are either too busy, too matchy with my floor, look like compost or what???, or too dark (we HAVE to have light, we figured that out already. I love all your dark countertops, especially over the white cabs, but it's just not us).

The Girona Beach only comes in the super high gloss finish. I like gloss, but I'm worried an entire countertop of this will look plastic and cheesy. You can see a countertop of it on WA's website, it's featured in the slide show. Looks good there, in a picture, but in real life we're not so sure.

So now I'm investigating Corian and other solid surfaces. Yes, I know - plasticy. But, to me they aren't that far off from laminate in the plastic/fakey looking arena. I am loving the new Corian that looks like marble. I dont' want the real thing. The etching and such would make me nuts in a kitchen.

At least now I know I'm getting a little more for my Mom's house than I originally thought, so that I can afford more choices in counters. I may investigate more quartz, and some of the solid surface options. This is truly harder than the appliances, cabinets, and floor ever was!!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>So now I'm investigating Corian and other solid surfaces.

In my area, you could for sure get real Santa Cecilia granite for a bit less than corian. Don't rule it out till you check.

• info_tmi-online_com
    14 years ago

Every Squak Mountain Stone concrete slab is hand-finished so it has a unique character similar to that of natural stones such as marble, travertine, and limestone. Squak Mountain Stone is generally used in kitchens and bathrooms as a counter top, table top or vanity top. If you haven't seen the "new" Squak Mountain stone you really don't know what you are missing out on! Tiger Mountain Innovations, LLC has recently made some great product improvements to their Squak Mountain Stone product. The coal fly-ash previously contained in the material has been substituted out with more recycled glass. Portland cement was substituted for low-carbon cement over 2 years ago as low-carbon cement releases much less co2 into the atmosphere during the manufacturing process. Furthermore, the slabs are available in a nominal 56"x96" size at 1-3/8" thickness. Slabs are gauged on the backside to ensure consistent thickness and ease of seaming for fabricators. A state-of-the-art vibration technology is used to minimize pinholes and give a more consistent character from slab to slab.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squak Mountain Stone

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Nesting12....I'm trying to find your photos...want to see the countertops in the quartz reflections...I want to do mine in that....can someone help me find her photos?!!! :Please...

• tuckerdood
    13 years ago

Nesting12 - I second Sammiecanada! I'm very interested in installing the same caesarstone. Would LOVE to see your pictures. Have searched and can't find them. Thank you!

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Well tuckerdood...I also tried to find an email for nesting12 with no luck...I have gone ahead and ordered my quartz relfections, I saw it on display and will try to post a photo here if I can get it to work!

{{!gwi}}

• debrawnelson
    13 years ago

dasistgut, I am trying to take your advice to check on the glass content of the Silestone color I like. I called the Cosentino HQ number (not any of the toll-free numbers they provide on their site); they said they couldn't answer my question about glass content, and transferred me to "their fabricator," Silestone of Houston. ?? I left a message with Silestone of Houston, but if you can help me with more specific information about how to get in touch with the right people at Cosentino, I would appreciate it!

• coffeeaddict226
    13 years ago

I'm jumping on the indecision bandwagon. I've decided on butcher block counters, but I cannot under any circumstances decide on the stain.

I want something dark, but everything I've seen is TOO dark. The light ones are too light. Don't want anything red so no cherry. Grrr. I was hoping for walnut but it looks wonky now that I've seen it on a sample.

Whatever I pick has to go with my oak floors in the living room (it butts up against the kitchen, still no clue what the floor in the actual kitchen will be because that requires a DECISION!)

I could very well be living with no counters forever. It may be easier that way...

• baileyandbella
    13 years ago

Have to looked at stains made by "General Finishes"?

• theresse
    13 years ago

If you're really asking why it's so hard, I think it's because we have too much to consider and too many sides to ourselves, too. There's:

- What makes us happy color-wise, the same way certain foods taste good or certain music sounds good. Not a choice - just makes you happy in and of itself.
    - What makes us happy color-wise (and/or style wise), due to recognizing current trends and feeling pretty darn hip because of it. But then we ask ourselves: Is it more of a trend that won't stand the test of time or that's lasted for years but is on its way out...if that kind of thing matters to us?
    - What's practical in terms of being durable.
    - What's practical in terms of money (for some of us, anyway).
    - What gives us cozy memories or reminds us of some major inspiration (e.g. for me, butcher block countertops call to me like no other. Childhood memories even. In the end I decided against it due to how rough my family is on things and the fact that they'll never dab up the water they leave standing on it by the sink...but I feel heartbroken for having given up on it)!

I ended up choosing the last thing I would have EVER thought I'd pick, in a million years! That's stainless, in an old, period kitchen. But that's also because I saw a picture of one in an old house and instantly fell in love, all the while being shocked that I liked it. Also, I'd had it on an island top for many years (granted, a SMALL island) and loved how it patinas, and loved how durable it is and how it almost changes colors depending on the day and lighting. At times it's almost colorless - like a rock - and fluid and soft looking, like water. And I loved how I could still have butcher block, but on my island now instead of the main countertop - because it provided great contrast and won't get damaged as easily as if it were by the sink. The owner of the inspiration kitchen had paired the stainless with a white farm sink and wood floors and white marble backsplash (only mine will be honed white marble subway tile backsplash and not very veiny).

The big question - for all of us at this point - is: WILL IT REALLY LOOK GOOD, ONCE IN??! ;) I'll be finding out soon. Scared!! Stainless is quite the gamble, in a older house!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

It's the same problem that consumers have in the cereal aisle in the grocery store--too many choices, too many products screaming "buy me!"

• theresse
    13 years ago

Agreed, Florantha.

I can't believe I forgot to mention environmental concerns, too! That was originally one of the main factors for me (blush) but I ended up getting sucked into other things.

• twosit
    13 years ago

I knew I wanted granite all along and it still took me forever. It took me so long that I held up the project. The can not place my last 2 cabinets until after the countertop is in. I could scream!

• kindertina
    4 years ago

How did the Caesarstone endure these last 11 years? :)