Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Is virginia mist/jet mist the same a "black strype"?

Posted by SLTKota (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 11:58

I talked to my granite installer about getting Virginia mist/jet mist (I've been told it is the same thing). The slabs came in saying "Black Strype". I can't find much on this "Black Strype" but it looks pretty close in pictures. Though I've only seen pictures of Virginia mist. So far the only thing I can find out about "black Strype" is that it is from Brazil... doesn't seem like it would be the same thing as the "VIRGINIA mist"

Is there any difference? Should I turn it away since someone else called it by a different name or is it called a different name because it isn't the same?

I know some show fingerprints easily when they are textured and I choose Virginia mist because it does not, I don't want to pay to get my slabs textured if they are going to act/look different than virginia mist in a textured finish.

Sorry for the rumbling but I am about to pull my hair out as I found out that my slabs came from a quarry on a different continent that I was expecting.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Is virginia mist/jet mist the same a "black strype"?

Here is a picture of the mystery slab when it was polished.

o

Hmm... Granite fabricator is now saying that "Black Strype" and Jet/virginia mist all come from Brazil and are the same stone just through a different distributor.

I thought that Virginia mist came out of Virginia here in the US. I believe it was originally mined near Culpeper, Virgina.

Is this not the case?

Sorry for all the post, I just want to figure out if it is the same type of granite for when I go discuss other issues with the fabricator.

o

It looks a lot like the slab of polished jet mist I saw at a yard near me in PA.

I'll try to post a picture I took of it soon.

o

Virginia Mist and Jet Mist come from the east coast of the United States, like American Black from Pennsylvania. I don't know anything about Black Strype. This site might be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: site on U.S. quarries for granite

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here