Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanva106

white subway tile grout color w/ this granite

sanva106
10 years ago

Wife says she wants white, walls will be a light gray where there is paint very light.
Granite ended up being a tinge darker than we thought but were here and moving forward. Project has been all diy w/ carpenter dad, minus wood floor and granite.

I was thinking maybe a gray to show the lines, hardware will be brushed nickel.

Comments (16)

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other pic could not figure out multiple

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Home stretch almost done

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Your granite is beautiful. Are you asking what color grout? Cause I do think a gray would look great.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

The tile and counter look great together! I would go with a light gray. I have off-white subways and a dark gray counter. I loved the look so much before the grout dried and cured that initially I regretted not going with a darker grout. However, a year later, I'm glad the grout lines aren't that prominent. Have you considered doing a couple of sample boards with different colored grout? Initially my grout was tan. I don't know what I was thinking giving the go-ahead for that. The instant it was finished, I realized I hated it and had the tile guys take it all out. It cost me extra, but it was worth it.

• annac54
    10 years ago

Depends on how much you like seeing the pattern of the tile. Before ours was grouted we liked seeing the pattern so decided to try a darker grout. We did sample boards of several tiles eventually settling on the 5th color we tried. Some of the others were too light, some too dark. If you do this, be sure and let the grout dry at least overnight, preferably a day or more. As the moisture evaporates, the grout will lighten. I was surprised at how much the grout lightened on the samples overnight. My husband and I had each picked a grout color we thought would be the right one. It ended up being neither. Beautiful kitchen!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I wouldn't do white--too stark. Would definitely do a gray! It's really looking great!! Good job.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

A very light gray/ silver would keep the look light while still showing off the tile shape. Beautiful kitchen so far.

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for opinions, discussed with wife and she is hesitant but up for the change. I am feeling the gray as well.
    I discussed with the white grout like in our shower , the lines disappear unless you are close to the tile. My dad has done a good enough tile job that the lines can and should show along with getting a good overall look.

• artemis78
    10 years ago

We have gray grout with white tiles and I love it--our tiles were also DIY (and it looks like your dad's job was a bit better than ours was!) and the grout color hasn't been an issue at all. Sample boards are a great way to go, though--that's how we chose our grout. (A trick is that color-matched caulk is often cheaper than buying and mixing the grout, and you can get the same effect as far as the sample boards go.) Good luck--looks great!

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well despite input and going back and forth white was what the wife wanted. I am pleased with it.

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic not sure how to post multi pics in one post

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic not sure how to post multi pics in one post

{{!gwi}}

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Lovely!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Thought the gray shadows looked good but that looks great. Nice and fresh looking. Good for a kitchen!

• kruegesm
    7 years ago

what brand and color white did you use for grout? looks great!

• kruegesm
    7 years ago

Also- what brand and size of subway tile! Thanks

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living