Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kercove

Counter Height Window Installation

kercove
14 years ago

I am having a counter height double casement window installed in my new kitchen, and I am looking for details about how to determine the placement. I thought I had run across a previous post that explained how to do it, but I can't seem to find it again.

Right now, we are down to the floor boards, and the hardwood will be installed in a couple weeks. The window needs to go in now. My carpenter has never done this before, and I'm getting nervous that it will be difficult to get the window placed so that the granite can go into the sill area. Am I setting myself up for disaster? Does anyone have a detailed explanation of how to accomplish this?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Is this the thread you were looking for?

If so, the reason you couldn't find it in a search is that it dropped off the Forum list almost a year ago. Luckily, I have it bookmarked!

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter window h(e)ight -- please help!

• kercove
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's exactly the one I was looking for. Thanks Buehl!

One question about the granite height though. My KD and contractor keep saying it's 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" thick. From reading everything here, I've been telling them it's 3cm, which is just about 1-3/16". I know we're talking about a tiny bit of space, but is there something that goes under 3cm granite that would bring it up to 1-1/2" total (especially since standard counter height is 36")?

I think I may be making this more confusing than it needs to be. I just don't want to mess up!

• slc2053
    14 years ago

I've seen some granite installed directly on top of the cabinets and other granit installed on top of plywood which was placed on top of the cabinets before the granite install. I'm not sure how this is deteremined and by who, but your KD ought to be able to answer this question as to whether or not you'll have this extra layer. If not, then you're looking at 1 3/16..if so then you need to add the thickenss of any underlayment between the cabinet tops and the granite.

We measured, measured, and measured and were still off by about 1/4" just due to the amount of shimming of cabinets we had to do..we still made it work...good luck!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

3cm granite is installed directly on top of the cabinets; 2cm granite is installed over a plywood top. BTW...slab thickness is approx, it can vary from slab to slab. However, I think there are only two "categories" of thickness for slabs intended for kitchen counters: 2cm & 3cm. Which thickness is available to you is primarily dependent on the area of the USA you live in (I don't know about the rest of the world). E.g., CA generally has 2cm; the East Coast generally has 3cm.

As to finished counter height....

Our finished counter heights range from 35-7/8" to 36-1/4" throughout the kitchen. The difference has to do w/the granite thickness. We have 3 or 4 different slab thicknesses...all affecting the final height (yes, it means we have a noticeably uneven counter in at least one seam...it was ground down a little to try to make it even, but they never quite got it right...one of many issues I have/had with our fabricator/installer.) The window sill on our counter height window was installed after the counters were in so any differences at the window were hidden by the sill.

Our window was actually installed almost 36-1/2" off the finished floor. At first I was upset since I had specifically told them 36", but it turns out it was a good thing b/c of our granite. As I mentioned before, the sill brought it all together so it all looks one height.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

kercove, we ran into this same confusion with our countertop. I had told my cabinet company that my marble would be 3 cm but somehow that got translated to 1 1/2 inches. My countertop company said they never use an underlayment on top of cabinets. Consequently, the wood top on my hutch ended up being a little too thick. Make sure to nail this measurement down with your KD and contractor. That tiny bit of space can make a big difference especially where you're planning a window down to the counter.

Not to confuse matters even more but have you considered bumping out your windows to give you more space behind your sink? I was concerned about splashing from my faucet and then I saw mamadadapaige's bumped out window. My contractor was easily able to build a 6-inch bump out for my windows.

Good luck!

Erika

• kercove
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Buehl- I'm so glad that you mentioned that the slab itself could vary in thickness. I hadn't even thought about that, and it's even more reason to install just a tiny bit too high. And I can barely see your sill, so I don't think that would bother me at all (although mine will be right next to the sink, not bumped out at all.

Speaking of bumping the window out, Erika, I am in love with your windows...and everything else in your kitchen! I would really love to be able to do the bump out, but I'm not sure it would work with our house.

First, we may end up with a deck in that general vicinity. I know we should have really gone with a slider or double hung windows for this scenario, but we found a good deal on a casement and I like the look, so we went with this one. Bumping it out would make it even more difficult to utilize that space without walking into an open window.

Second, we have a pretty generic 1950s cape/ranch (we have center stairs to the attic but it's not finished), and I think it might be overkill for the style of the home. Plus, I'm not sure how we'd create or extend the roof to cover the window. Oh well, maybe next time :)

Thanks for all of your help!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

buehl, thanks for resurrecting that old thread just in time ! Demolition begins tomorrow. My contractor said Friday that he had never heard of doing this so obviously didn't know how it was done.

Judy ;D