Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurencp_gw

Backsplash - Tmeless or Dated?

laurencp
9 years ago

I am about to pull my mini renovation together with the backsplash. My countetops are Barocca Soapstone (the have a hint of green veining) and my cabinets are BM Cloud White.

I have had samples of Cararra marble subways, WZ crackle, and Fireclay tiles in Silver Sage, Silver Haze and Foggy Mist.

After looking at all of these. I think I want a warm white crackle. Everything else appears too dark to me. The marble appeared too bright, although the sample I had were small subways and they were polished, so I will look for other marble alternatives, I would like to see honed cararra subway tile.

Any suggestions? Will Crackle be dated in then ear future? I can't decide if I will tire of the crackle , but basic white seems too sterile and boring for me. I would love a white with a green tone. More than anything, I just want to remain "timeless" if possible.

I think I will get additional samples of the Fireclay whites, I thought those tiles were beautiful.

The backsplash seems to be the glue that pulls all of the hardwork together and I want to get it right!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have Cloud White cabinets and dark gray Caesarstone counters. My backsplash is Sonoma Tile in Creamy Crackle, a slightly darker white than CW, definitely creamy. It's a nice layered look. It's in the $12/sf range.

This particular crackle doesn't leap out at you. The tiles are similar to your basic subway but the crackle imparts a little something extra that's hard to define. Some subtle oomph.

Whether they soon become dated is anyone's guess. Nothing's really timeless, but I think these have some staying power. Remember, GW is not the real world we all inhabit. Nobody I know even has a white kitchen or even a full backsplash.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We're getting Fireclay crackle for our backsplash in our modern kitchen - Ultra Cream with Black Patine. It might work for you (but it's quite a bit more expensive per square foot than the Sonoma Tile price linelle mentioned). I won't be living in my condo long enough for the kitchen to go out of style :-)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I have the Gracia Rixi crackle subway tile. I agree with Linelle. It adds just the right amount of interest but doesn't make a hugh statement.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I just tested something. Even though I know my tiles have a crackle finish, it wasn't until I was 14" away from my backsplash that I could discern the faintest crackle. It's not like big old cracks. It's very subtle. But instead of a static solid tile, there's a spark of life. I can't remember anyone seeing my backsplash and going, "oh, of course, it's crackle." Seriously, I don't think my friends notice much. :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Don't worry about timeless or dated. Does it fit the kitchen and your house? Do you like it? If yes, do it.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have crackle subway tile (Sonoma Star Tribeca in Butter). it doesn't matter to me whether others think it looks dated. I just really love the way it looks. Crackle gives subway tile a rich texture that is really attractive.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Also, out of the three main elements of the kitchen; the cabinets, the counter and the backsplash, the backsplash is the easiest to change out should you want to in the future.

Many of here at GW have done just that after making a mistake with their first choice.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Apologies in advance for the hijack but couldn't resist: sjhockeyfan - can't wait to see your backsplash.

laurencp - Pictures, please of what you have so far. Personally, I was really drawn to crackle tile but couldn't pull the trigger. Love Fireclay tiles and especially the different shapes. Plain color but fun shape (and possibly a strong grout); another option. Here's our star and cross in ?? I forget the color :)

I'd love to get a hex in somewhere....

Edited to suggest - Place the outlets in the middle of a larger tile, if you can plan that far.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Wed, May 7, 14 at 20:40