Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbiz_gw

Kitchen window to counter height?

lizbiz
13 years ago

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of this? I am interested in putting a larger window behind my sink that will come down to the level of my counters. And I am considering not having any back splash that matches countertop, just tiles or paint down to the level of the countertop. Pictures that I have seen with this look seem to be open, airy and straight forward looking. Are there any practical drawbacks to this? What do you think of this look?

Comments (19)

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

I have always loved a window over my sink. I suppose the bigger the better. Mine is a good size and it come down to the sink, but there is an area for tile. I like the look of tile meeting the countertop, and I think behind the sink it is more practical to have tile, and not just painted wall due to spashing.

• riskaverse
    13 years ago

Our designer wanted us to do this, but we just couldn't handle the logistics and we weren't certain that we'd love the look. For example, when you say the window comes to the counter, will there be window trim on that bottom edge of the window? We couldn't imagine having window trim on 3 sides and then not at the bottom (our designer said you wouldn't have trim, that the counter and the sill would be at the same place). Also, getting that bottom edge of the window perfectly matched with the countertop really worried us as our house isn't square and we worried that any little bit off would really show when you've got the countertop providing such a strong marker. The final complaint about doing this is splashing from the faucet. Our designer solves this by bumping out the window which we fell in love with (gives so much space behind your faucet and really enlarges the space). So, we bumped out the window, but our window sill sits about 4 inches above the countertop -- 2 inches for window trim and 2 inches for backsplash tile (if we ever get to that point).

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I think some turn out great and others do not look so good. I have seen plenty of pictures where they look pretty bad, even on this forum.

rickaverse is absolutely right.

I think this can look great if you somehow nicely bump out the window, ie window box look, which above poster is doing.

The most imporant thing to consider is how the window will trimmed. When this type of look is well executed is that there is no trim around the window, ie very modern clean line windows. Many modern houses have dry walled window casing. This is an easy way to bring the window sill to the countertop level and have the countertop material extend to the sill. The house is begging for this!

When you HAVE to trim the window to match the house, then the window trim can look "orphanned" without the bottom trim, which would have to be eliminated to have the sill at the exactly the same level as the countertop. This is what makes this look difficult to execute.

I would love to bring my window down to the counter level. But all of my other windows in the room/house have somewhat traditional trim/molding around them. We could not figure out how to trim the sink window and still reflect the rest of the house. Every look we mocked up made the window trim look silly. We gave up.

• fran1523
    13 years ago

The bigger window with the bump out is my favorite part of my new kitchen. IMO there are no cons. When the window is bumped out, there is no problem getting it square.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Some people like them, some don't. It's one of those things that are personal preference.

I will say, though, that if you do bring your windows down to the counter, try to bump it out a few inches to cut down on window splashing. I'm not sure how many people have this problem, but it is a potential issue. Our window is a bay window, so the window is approx 22" away from the faucet...we have no splashing issues.

Here are some threads with pictures, discussions, and installation instructions:

Thread: Counter Height Window Installation

Thread: counter height window pictures please

Thread: Counter height window owners--Help!

Installation Instructions:

Thread: Counter window hight -- please help!

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Having the large new window right behind the sink is one of my favorite features of my kitchen. We could not do a bumpout (there is a narrow walkway on the outside) but I did trim the base of the window *almost* like the other windows. (The sill is a bit shallower and we skipped the deeper trim which should have been below.) We did have to bump the sink cabinet out a bit to allow space for big sink+ big faucet+ low window. Hope this photo is helpful:

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

...oh, and we have not had an issue with splashing/water spots at ALL. It might be because the sink is very deep. (?) My MIL's down-to-the-counter window is always covered with water spots but it is a smaller, shallower sink.

• larry112
    13 years ago

I love it personally, but others might disagreed though

Here is a link that might be useful: counter height table

• janwad
    13 years ago

I have an 8 foot window/backsplash. The view is to die for, but I do have doubts. I'm thinking of putting replacement windows in the whole house and I have no idea how they will deal with it.

It does get dirty, and it's a few inches back and hard to reach, especially without putting any weight on the granite around the sink.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We thought about bringing the window down to counter height, but frankly, my DH leaves puddles on the counters. I envisioned the window area awash in water so had it raised up a few inches.

• lizbiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh! I am now so inspired. Thank you everyone for your comments and pics. Thank you Buehl for the links. All excellent info. This was the first time that I have visited and posted on this forum. I know that I will be back for more researching in the future. Inspiring.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

shanghaimom,
    What you have done, ie bottom trim resting on the countertop, is what I am proposing. My DH is worried about water damage to the wood and the ensuing upkeep.

Currently, our window sill is finished in the same laminate as the counter. It looks hokey to me that this is the only sill that looks different in the house. DH wants to do it again (with quartz, this time) since it is so practical..... Here we go with esthetic differences.

He is worried that the caulk fails and there is water seepage down the counter edge. Do you plan on regular caulking replacement? Just curious....

We also have oiled wood trim throughout the house and we would just need to coat another layer of oil every now and then....

What are your thoughts about upkeep?

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

Here is a link to "No upper Cabinets" which show kitchens with windows exactly as you describe. There are several photos of different kitchens to give you an idea and perhaps some inspiration. Let us know what you decide to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows above sink

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Kaismom,

The strip under the sill is wood, coated with a few coats of oil-based enamel. There was some question as to what to do with this strip--tile, wood, or?? In my opinion, it looks best to have it trimmed like the window normally be trimmed.

In your case, with oiled wood trim, I would coat that particular strip with Waterlox and you should be fine!! You might have to re-caulk once in a great while, but it is certainly a lower maintenance situation than caulk we all have in the bathtub, right? (o:

We have been using ours for 5 months and so far don't have even the slightest hint of wear or water damage. In fact, the only water which really hits the caulk line is when I am wiping up with a damp cloth. It isn't ever sitting in a pool of water.

I hope this helps!! The window is worth whatever small bit of extra trouble you may have to go to.

• willis13
    13 years ago

Well, I hope I like this look, cuz its exactly what I'm doing! Of course now I'm worried about opening the casement windows, and I never thought about potential problems replacing the window in the future :( Too late now though.

We are drywalling the window, no trim. I'll post pics once its done.

• sally123
    13 years ago

The counter-height bumped-out window was one of the first things I saw on this site that I knew I had to have. This isn't the greatest picture, but I can't take another right now. I think bumping the window out is pretty important to getting the uncramped and open feeling that makes this look so appealing.

• willis13
    13 years ago

Well, I hope I like this look, cuz its exactly what I'm doing! Of course now I'm worried about opening the casement windows, and I never thought about potential problems replacing the window in the future :( Too late now though.

We are drywalling the window, no trim. I'll post pics once its done.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath