Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Demo - cabinet re-use - remove shelves?

Posted by seosmp (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 11:47

Hi,

I'm giving my cabinets to a friend to use as a second kitchen area.

I am removing all the doors myself just to keep everything coordinated (I numbered everything). The contractor will remove the actual cabinets.

There are center stiles in these cabinets. The shelves are held in place by plastic things above the shelf, in addition to the plastic things the shelf rests on.

Now what I'm wondering is whether I can leave the shelves in there and he can take them down with the shelves in place? They are in there pretty good. Or do I need to remove the plastic things on each shelf and remove them (e.g. due to weight)?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Demo - cabinet re-use - remove shelves?

As long at the shelves won't flop around while being moved about, I'd leave them. Less likely to misplace the shelf pegs or damage the shelves that way.

o

I took down my cabinets last weekend. Shelves that were adjustable and just resting on pegs (so the just lift right out) I removed, as well as the pegs so they didnt get lost. The shelves that were firmly held in place I left in while removing.

o

If they're screwed in, I'd leave them. If just resting on the plastic things... take them out.

o

Thanks, all!

The shelves are not screwed in, and they are not just resting on pegs.

They are resting on pegs, and then there are 4 plastic pieces that are on top of each shelf that hold it in place (so plastic pieces on top and bottom).

So, I will just leave them in and hope for the best!

o

You might want to put the pegs in a plastic bag and tape them to the inside of the cabinet.

I've also found, used cabinet Queen that I am, that despite cabinets being ... exactly alike, they're sometimes not. I'd also label the shelves as to which cabinet they belong.

I'm tearing my kitchen apart again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here