Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Your Opinion? Timeless Elements In Kitchen Design

amck2
9 years ago

Yesterday I toured 11 upscale seacoast homes that were featured in our area's annual Kitchen Tour fundraiser.

I was hoping many might be traditional/transitional and that I might take away some ideas. I found the majority were over the top and could be dated almost to the year they were installed.

Admittedly, my taste runs to clean and simple, but it made me want to ensure all the more that I choose timeless elements for my kitchen.

Given that kitchen design is always evolving - there were no islands and pendant lights in any kitchens when I was growing up - what specific things come to your mind when you think "timeless?" Knobs, pulls, faucets, lighting, etc.?

Comments (118)

• plllog
    9 years ago

My old kitchen had honey oak cabinets with the rounded, no knobs, partial overlay slab doors. I have a friend whose delight is honey oak, to the point where I won't let him buy more because the floors, bookshelves (i.e., walls) and furniture make it look like a squirrel's house.

I promise you, however, it wasn't the appearance of the cabinets that made me remodel. It was the awful layout, crappy appliances, cracked counters, dry rot, few drawers, cabinet lowers and lack of uppers (boy, did I hate that!). There was also an ugly, though not obtrusively so, floor, but it was very functional. I added a hood, since there was none, put up some shelves, and painted a mural to make it livable, but the horrible appliances, and the big distance from the stove to the fridge, doomed it.

If I had to move today, and was offered honey oak arched top cabinets, but the function was good, I might grouse a bit since I don't like either, but there are lots worse things in the world, and I wouldn't rip out the cabinets just because I wasn't fond of the style.

RE LOOKING DATED:

What really creates a dated look is the trendy elements. We all know that. My kitchen is so not on trend it squeaks! There are clues to the era (ignoring the appliances), even so:

• Three different counter materials including soapstone
    • large single basin sink
    • trough prep sink
    • gooseneck faucet
    • Karbon faucet
    • trash pullout (though that might become as common as a sink in the future, I put it in mostly because it's de rigueur--there may be a whole new way to deal with trash in 10 years)
    • blingy statement hood
    • mixed pulls and knobs
    • plugmold
    • handmade, matte tiles
    • bamboo and recycled glass

There are also things that are timeless not from the point of view that they're always in, but because they don't consider what's in at all:

• lots of color
    • layered visual textures
    • indirect lighting
    • integrated appliances
    • many different storage configurations to accommodate different kinds of things to be stored
    • clearly utilized work zones
    • art nouveau touches, mid-century ideas, and new century materials

It's the last that kind of frees it up from the style-go-round. I used brass (gasp!) in a combination of shiny, repro hardware and very now recycled pulls and knobs. I have sleek, slab cabinets (very 1990's), but in warm, stripey bamboo (very now). There are tile counters (not so trendy ;) ), but they're matte, handmade and individual, with different shapes, colors and textures, and no grid, rather than repeating tiles (probably never in style any time). There's soapstone (now) but it's the hard green kind that doesn't get oiled (not so identifiable).

My point is, that while someone in twenty years might be able to date my kitchen, there's enough eclecticness, and individual style, that it's not so likely to look "dated", per se.

OTOH, while most people love it, someone could easily walk in and say, "WTF???" :D

• peony4
    9 years ago

If we're stretching the discussion to incorporate the concept of "original," then here are some of my favorite originals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original kitchens

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Of course all that really matters is you like it, at the core.

But the problem is For How Long will you like it and Why will you start to Not Like it. There is an awful lot of Love that seems to go on, only to turn contempt, quickly--right here in these forums.

How often do you read of people picking a finish, not even Purchasing it yet, and then saying they are afraid of Tiring of it. They don't Have it yet and they are already worried. My feeling is that if you are worried about hating it maybe you already do?

Since it is such a large investment (such that I would never do it twice in the same house), I think it is worth analyzing Why you like things before deciding you want to commit to it. A kitchen is not a pair of shoes, or a trendy haircut, something you can indulge in on a whim, only to be embarrassed by it soon after. A kitchen *shouldn't be Fashion, it should be something that makes sense for the house and for the long term. Unless you have Lots of Money, of course and can indulge your whim to change it whenever you don't like/are bored with it.

I try to analyze this stuff carefully, because I live in a high cost area, and I am going to do it exactly once for the duration of the time I live in a particular house.

I also try to analyze it because I deal with clients who (claim to) love Love LOOOOVE something, and they are already tired of it before their house is even finished. This is not a good thing.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I don't think white kitchens in general will ever be "horribly dated," but I'm pretty sure there will be a backlash against white shaker cabinets at some point. Not because they aren't nice, but because there's just so darn many of them. Most of the spec and flipper houses in our area are getting them lately. They are still in high demand, at least until the next big thing hits.

While I do understand the desire to retain resale value for those who are planning to sell soon, I do not understand the prevalent fear of tiring of ones own choices. Especially if you are choosing something that appeals to you-- why is it a given that you would not tire of white or stained wood, but that you would tire of a color? Also, if you are going with something because it is popular at the moment but maybe not your favorite style, doesn't it stand to reason that you may in fact tire of it sooner?

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

the kitchen posted by robotropolis would be just fine to me now. I'd probably want more drawers and would change the color of the lower wall. Otherwise I'd be just fine with it.

can't see much of the floor but what I do see looks like it'd be ok with me too. It looks to have about the same counter space I have now and the window is much bigger.

• barista9
    9 years ago

@sas95, there are lots of kitchen with white shaker cabinets on the web, but are they really that popular? The only one I've seen in person is in the showroom of the manufacturer I'm buying my cabinets from. I've never from memory step foot in a real one in my life.

And most if not all people I've discussed my kitchen plans with all seemed 'politely' intrigued for why I would choose white for the cabinets. Anyway, far from being afraid of having purchased something trendy, I'm starting to wonder if I didn't go for something dated/eclectic.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

barista9- i really think it is regional because here, north of albany ny, it is rare to see shaker style but especially shaker style white. any white i see is 80s or 90s melamine stuff with the raised, sometimes arched doors. usually paired with green laminate and ivy accents(either border or hanging off the tops of cabs, and no i am not kidding!)

• julieste
    9 years ago

I'll bite because I think my kitchen has many timeless elements. That means that it is twenty years old, and I still like it. And, when I go on a house tour showcasing recently remodeled kitchens, I come home and still like it. And, other people do too.

In the past year we did a few upgrades only because they were necessary to replace some things that no longer worked. Our Jenn-air downdraft (definitely a sign of its installation era) went and was replaced by a free-standing gas range with a simple chimney style new hood. Our tiled counters (modeled after those from the 1930s with bullnose edges) were chipped in places and were replaced by soapstone and marble.

Other than that, the kitchen is the same as when we put it together twenty years ago. We have a built-in wall oven microwave combo that definitely looks dated and needs replacing, but that can always be true for any appliance, and I don't think appliances are what people are discussing here.

Why makes this kitchen timeless IMO? It fits the period of my house. I have a 19 teens house and cabinetry from the 1920s or 1930s. Maple floors. White drop-in sink with a drainboard side. Antique light fixtures from the era.

I really do believe that if you match your kitchen to the feel and era of your house, you will be better off.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

needinfo1- your kitchen sounds great, we need pics! i agree to matching the style/era of your house. i have a cookie cutter late 90s build that has no character but it is a old fashioned new england? colonial style so i try to stay somewhat traditional. i drool over the old houses on rehab addict with original cabs, woodwork, etc. lucky you to have original character:)

• sas95
    9 years ago

Barista9, in answer to your question, in my area (NY suburbs) the white shaker is so common it is now builder or flipper grade. Not that it isn't being done in other more pricey or thought-out kitchens. It is. It's everywhere here. That is why I think there will be a backlash.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I wish I had a house from the 1920s or 30s (with good wiring, insulation, etc.). My house was built in 1991, a modest, builders grade, cookie-cutter house that has brothers and sisters up and down and around my circle street. Apparently golden oak fit the era and feel of my house, in 1991. What are my options in 2014?

That was meant to be a silly question, because my era/style house doesn't conjure up a lot of cool looks from bygone eras.

I'm sorry to keep harping on it, but I'm the only person I know with a white shaker kitchen. It doesn't look like anyone else's kitchen among my friends and family.

I agree with the grave concern that a choice you don't even have might become tiresome...before you even have it. Something's definitely wrong with that choice if that's how you feel about it.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ardcp, I relate to having a relatively new home that's a New Englander on the outside but an open plan on the main floor. My house is in NH and I gravitate to clean Shaker style, so I think my new Shaker cabs will feel appropriate here if/when their current trendiness fades.

My DD & SIL have an older little Cape they've been remodeling. There's far less angst involved with her decisions. She lets the house call the shots.

This post was edited by amck on Wed, May 7, 14 at 10:11

• feisty68
    9 years ago

White shaker is very widespread here as well.

Linelle, there is nothing wrong with white shaker - it's a great look. It's nice that it's not overdone in your area. I have a circa 2001 characterless condo so I know what you mean. I yearn for the character but it isn't happening here. I've picked slab fronts with oversized pulls to "respect the architecture" of my home, dull as it is.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

House Beautiful has slideshows on its website of kitchens from the 1950s to the 2000s, and there were several Shaker or shaker-like simple recessed panel kitchens in the 80s and 90s, in white. I put shaker cabinets in my first kitchen in 1995 and at that point it was an established door style at Wood-Mode and the showroom had a white shaker kitchen setup. My choice was pickled maple, which makes people run away screaming on Gardenweb, but several owners have kept the cabinets,and in that finish, despite making some other significant renovations including new countertops.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Linelle- it is the same in my area. I don't think a single person in my town would say a white kitchen is timeless. The only ones that exist are from low or middle class run down neighborhoods that were built from the 1920's to 1960's.

Bear in mind my town didn't even exist 110 years ago so there aren't any "old" houses around here. The few historic homes that have been kept original to the 19 teens and 1920s all have ornate woodwork, deep rich tones, etc.
    Certainly no white kitchens.

So here, if you have a white kitchen, it is instantly dated. I suppose things are very slowly changing around though bwcause on our recent parade of homes, there was ONE kitchen that had SOME white cabinets, not shaker though.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Technology also plays into making a kitchen look dated. 25 years ago, a previous owner of my last house put in laminate that looked like a butcher block counter top. Real wood around the sink wouldn't have worn well, and may have been out of their price range. Compared to what's available now in that price range, that kitchen would look "horribly dated". It was cutting edge at the time, but newer products came out that made it look cheesy.

And those "honey oak" cabinets and floors don't look the same today as they did 25 years ago. Exposure to sun made them turn an orange colour that I don't believe anyone would have chosen.

As for open/closed kitchen, I think it's a mistake to vote based on how you entertain.

Open is probably not ideal for parties. We had a small, closed off kitchen in the old house, and when we hosted, most people lounged in the living room. People didn't hang out in the kitchen because there was no space. In our current house, we have a large(r) kitchen that's open to the family room. When people are over, we have to put significant effort to get them to use the living room and dining room.

But we entertain 3-4 times a year. That leaves 361 days a year when it's just us. I HATED that closed off kitchen. I was always so lonely when I cooked. I didn't do any bulk cooking because standing to chop for an hour would be a nightmare. In the current kitchen, I can sit at the island for marathon chopping sessions. The TV is visible, so I can watch my talk shows while I make dinner. I can watch Christmas movies while I bake Christmas cookies. DH can lay on the couch and I can talk to him. If I had kids, I could keep an eye on them. I wouldn't be isolated like I was in the old house.

I think that's why the open kitchen is here to stay and the formal dining room is going out. People are realizing that it's really not practical to build houses for those quarterly moments rather than for every day life.

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

I don't think it's possible to do timeless. I think there are definitely things that look more appropriate in old homes, specifically walls and doorways and the unfitted look. That being said, if you go to sell the house, you're going to run into a ton of people who turn up their noses at the "dated" or non-functional kitchen, because they expect the biggest, newest, and trendiest features.

I don't necessarily see kitchens as dated. Sure, some you can pinpoint the year, or at least within a few, but I don't find myself turned off by a golden oak kitchen, or even a harvest gold and avocado kitchen in your average home. Sure, I wouldn't pick them for my kitchen remodel, but they always feel comfy and inviting, more like home, I suppose. It's the overdone, ornate kitchens in the ranch or the ultra-modern in a 1900's farmhouse that I think will always seem dated. They give that "trying too hard" vibe and draw too much interest for me. Of course, if I walked into a multi-million dollar home and saw harvest gold or golden oak, I'd get that similar shocked feeling.

I think what dates modern kitchens the most is the idea of the kitchen needing to serve so many purposes. Kitchens used to be workhorses, a place to cook and eat. Now they are places to do homework, watch TV, browse the internet, host parties, etc. They keep getting bigger, less efficient, more extravagant. They no longer seem cozy and inviting, but sterile, unpersonalized, and fragile.

I think it's kind of sad high dollar kitchen renovations are expected or demanded nowadays. It's terrible to think perfectly functioning, but older, kitchens are being tossed to meet these demands. Even worse is when these functional kitchens are replaced with arena sized kitchens that are no longer functional, but just some showpiece done to impress the neighbors.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I keep an eye on real estate in my zip code, where there are always lots of multi-million dollar homes for sale. I always look at the kitchens first and lots of them have golden oak cabinets! I also see a lot of ornate French Country and Tuscan kitchens in much more modest homes, they just look out of place in a 2000 sq ft suburban home built in the 80's. Upscale new builds around here run the gamut, from dark woods to white, modern to traditional, I don't see anything timeless about any of them.

Every time I open this thread, I go back to the BHG kitchen. I really love that kitchen! If I were building a house, I would put that kitchen in in a heartbeat, with more drawer bases of course. I love all the windows, the warm feel of the space, the clean cabinet lines, I would really enjoy spending time in that kitchen!

• eam44
    9 years ago

I recently had the opportunity to see the inside of NASA research buildings built in the early 1960s and abandoned in 2010, and that facility is beautiful. Walnut paneling, terrazzo floors, velvet upholstery and curtains in the auditorium in Aqua and marine blue. It seems to my architecturally uneducated eye to be classic 1960s architecture with upscale finishes. So it's not timeless, it is dated, but it is beautiful. My home was built in the same era and I wouldn't have changed a thing if it weren't for the mice (the #%^n mice).

The Nike of Samothrace was a product of her times and she is beautiful. Pals car is beautiful. If you want your kitchen to be beautiful to you in twenty years time, study the proportions and symmetries that have been beautiful for millennia. Your finishes are going to be dateable at some point but if they're beautiful, no one will care.

• julia42
    9 years ago

I know nothing about cars, but I have to ask...

Really? Am I the ONLY person here who's real keen on that Turnpike Cruiser? I mean, I get that I'm not supposed to like it, but I think I'd pick it any day...

;)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

There's nothing wrong with the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, in it's context. If you had a house from 1957 and had a TC styled kitchen, they would fit each other.

You are also looking at it in a historical context at this point. This is an almost 60 year old representative of an important period of design history,

If this was 1967 or 1972, and that car was not restored, not in a car show, and was your daily driver, you might feel differently about the way it looked, compared to the other one. Percentage wise, there are probably a lot more Mark II's around because people knew they had something special, and they kept it even if it was stashed in a barn somewhere.

• eam44
    9 years ago

The Mark II is elegant. The TC isn't, never was, never will be. Kind of cool, but definitely not elegant.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

Ha! I liked the red car better too, but I didn't want to admit it!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Turnpike Cruiser all the way!!! Not sure what that says about my taste but who cares!! I like what I like and that's how I'm choosing things for my kitchen too. I know there are very few people here at GW who choose sheet vinyl for their remodeled kitchens but I did. I just love no seams, easy clean-up, very durable...maybe it's the turnpike cruiser of floors!!!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

The Mark II, while...nice, looks like something my grandpa would drive, even when it was new. It looks like "old person car" to me.
    The TC looks more flashy and stylish, geared towards younger, fashionable people.

Both have their place but I wouldn't call either "timeless".

• ardcp
    9 years ago

this house is going for $480k in my cookie cutter suburban town. the median home price here is around $325. this house is in a development of larger mcmansion lite homes but is connected to my very ordinary development of smallish starter homes so 1/2 mile from my front door (which is why i had to be really careful about overspending on my kitchen). any upgrades in my house is overkill unfortunately:(
    we don't have many old house here. 95 percent of the houses in this town were built after the late 1960s.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

I tend to agree with the 'Nothing is timeless" group, but one thing I would point out is that except for the first kitchen in this thread, there's a lot of cheating in the examples here. NOTHING gets to be a classic without going through the era of embarrassingly outdated, and most of the other examples here have had long enough to have passed through that point. Believe me, my gramma's 1957 Bel-Air was plenty embarrassing in 1975.

Hardly anyone keeps their ktichen long enough to get past that point. Look at the number of people here who build their "forever kitchen" and then wind up having to move a couple of years later.

Incidentally, I live in South/Central FL, and I hardly ever see white shaker around here. White kitchens in my area tend to be hyper-modern style (ikea abstrakt white or the more upscale equivalents), but shaker is always wood finishes hereabouts. Our big box stores only began having displays of white shaker in the past year or so, and then only for grab-and-go stuff. Before that, beadboard was the thing for a more traditional unglazed white kitchen in this area.

This post was edited by writersblock on Wed, May 7, 14 at 12:16

• goodguy2k2k
    9 years ago

Nothing is really timeless on a trend scale but Quality and TImeless go hand in hand.

I would argue that Shaker (meaning siple clean lines designs, whether you call it arts crafts, shaker, etc) is not on the way out.

When you consider the alternatives to a "shaker" look (which could encompass most styles with simple lines, arts crafts, etc.).

1) Traditional (beading, raised panels, curves, etc) - this is what shaker really replaced and really just started doing so on a larger scale. In the 80's it was oak cabinets with a traditional style. In the 90's - 2007 it was still traditional style but maybe painted, glazed. Only recently are the masses starting to replace much of that traditional style with a simpler clean look. At least this is what I have noticed.

2) Modern (flat panels, frameless, etc) - this is also a clean lines look but does not fit with much of the typical architecture you find in homes lately. Also, there seems to be a slew of cheap cabinets in the "modern" genre (i.e. ikea, although their cabs are not terrible) which so many people are trying to make work, I think they will the look dated if not a quality product.

Shaker is really not based upon a trend but upon the timeless simplicity of cabinets that were easier made by hand in past years and are less pretentious than the dark oak with applied moldings you will find in your uncle vitos mancave built in 1982 (see pic). I see people running from anything that has ANY of those elements (curves, applied moldings etc). Perhaps I am way off but I can't see people giving up on simple lines anytime soon because of the many years of the 70-'s through 2000's trying to look like they were more than they really were with fancy looking (cheaply made) cabinets.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

I don't think white cabinets will ever go out of style. In fact, before we bought land to build, I was turned off by all the homes that had oak or cherry kitchen cabinets. I just don't like them. I don't live in an area where trends matter with anything, clothes, décor, handbags, hairstyles, etc. I don't know if that's good or bad. However, there is nothing like a clean, crisp white kitchen. I do like espresso cabinetry, but while will always be my choice!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

My grandmother used to say something very similar to Pal's observation...except with clothing.

There is classic and there is trendy. Classic will always be in style and that's where you should spend your money. A classic dress, coat or suit will always work in any situation. Trendy should be used for supporting items...blouses, heels, jewelry, etc. Trendy is fun! Don't spend lots of money on trendy, but add a few items to a classic piece to make it your own :)

I miss my grandmother! I think as far as kitchens....white Shaker cabinets are classic, but so are good quality wood tone cabinets. Medium shades are probably easier to work with than too light or dark, just like a medium gray suit is less memorable (and can be worn more often) than white or black.

This is a very sensible approach and my grandmother grew up during the Depression. But, Pal is also right that few are going to be 'knocked over' by classic. It's beautiful and rather timeless, but it's not hip or new...or Wow! That's what the trendy is for (LOL).

If everyone had a black dress (very classic and lovely) but everyone also wore a simple strand of pearls and pearl earrings with nice black heels...it would be boring! Yes, Audrey Hepburn could 'rock that look' but if all we saw was everyone wearing the same thing, it would soon be common and we would want something different.

Diamonds, gold, emeralds, pink heels, a sweater...something to make it our own and make us stand out from the rest. That's what back splashes, fabrics, hardware and paint and/or wallpaper are for! I think we all like the 'classic' look, but if it's too similar...it starts to look boring.

White shaker cabinets with beige walls, wood floors and stainless steel hardware and appliances can get boring! Add some floral fabric and light green walls....or glass tile and soft blue walls...or gray walls with white curtains and gray trim. Something different and unique will make if fun...but the 'bones' will still be classic. Just my two cents :)

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, May 7, 14 at 15:09

• lam702
    9 years ago

Grandma is right. Classic is always a good choice. White cabinets have always been in fashion, in one form or another. I love shaker cabinets, but there are some I've seen in the big box stores where the center panel is so thin and cheap, they are not going to last. But a quality, well made shaker cabinet - you can't go wrong with that. The same goes for a wood stained cabinet, some people will always love the look of stained wood, the color trends may change from year to year, but if its quality that is timeless to me.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I think in some respects there are parts of this discussion that are at cross purposes and various sides are not quite getting what other various sides are saying (my side included, don't worry).

I don't think that timelessness means that you can't look at it and say "That's from the 1960s/70s/90s, etc."

You will always have clues to when something was done, roughly, because things always change.

I think timelessness is more like "That's from 1989, and it still looks okay, even though it's obviously old fashioned."

• musicgal
    9 years ago

goodguy- THAT kitchen...Wow. And with the AC vent custom fitted to that smaller cab. That was a lot of work to get those three drawers dressed to match the door template. Someone was very proud of that when it was new:)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

goodguy- THAT kitchen...Wow. And with the AC vent custom fitted to that smaller cab. That was a lot of work to get those three drawers dressed to match the door template. Someone was very proud of that when it was new:)

• plllog
    9 years ago

I think Ineffablespace has the right of it, but I would go farther:
    Dated is when you walk in and say (or just think), 'Hello? The '70's called and want their kitchen back!" A cliche fitting a cliche.

Timeless is when you walk in, look around, find some clues and say, "This kitchen must have been built in 1975 or thereabouts."

Though, come to think of it, I have a friend whose kitchen actually is from about 1975, though looks like early 1980's, as did the rest of the decor when he bought the place. But the kitchen just looks like an old kitchen. It's well designed, visually, and there's nothing OMG! about it. All of the finishes are ahead of their design moment, but none of them shriek, and it still looks very nice.

Edit: I remember when being seen in any car that had fins was downright embarrassing. :) Now, people rag on squared off cars with pressed creases, and "boxiness", but think fins are cool.

This post was edited by plllog on Wed, May 7, 14 at 16:27

• julia42
    9 years ago

Dang, I like the mancave cabinets too.

I think I must have really bad taste...

;)

• suz04079
    9 years ago

Timeless is something classic and something you will love for a long time. Planning to put this kitchen in our new summer cottage being built this summer: wood floors throughout house, island where hot pans can be placed, regular appliances (GE or Kenmore), grey shaker lower cabinets and white open shelving above. I have spent months researching countertops and still don't know what to do. Soapstone counter on island, white beadboard cabinets below and honed granite (?) for the perimeter. We will have this cottage for years and it will be passed down to my sons. I agree with those who wrote that simpler is less trendy. Simple is never really out. Frankly, too bad if it is. It will be timeless for me as long as I am not pushed by sellers and marketing to buy something because that's what's popular.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

You know what I think happened to golden arched oak (and may happen to shaker) is that it was not only everywhere, but it was CHEAP everywhere, with cheap, bad and therefore somewhat ugly finish -- and got associated with cheap and downscale.

The kitchen that goodguy posted above would also have been a turn off to me, despite any craftsmanship, because it evokes the ersatz "western" look, (akin to the maple ersatz "early American" which was more palatable and a better fit in many homes, but still overdone)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Absolutely nothing is timeless."

Except sunlight and adequate space. I'm sure there are more.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

One person's "timeless" or "classic", will be another's "That is soooo 20XX!" Make your kitchen your own, the place that makes you smile every time you enter. Unless you are planning to sell, who CARES what everyone else thinks? This is YOUR kitchen, not theirs.

My kitchen, that we have been working on for years... and years... oh, did I mention years?.. will likely be "dated", at least by Houzz or GW standards, by the time we finish that last detail, hopefully (God willing) in the next couple months. And I am entirely OK with that, because every time I walk into it, it just makes me happy. It is bright and flooded with light, with colors I love. And, yes, it has white flat-paneled doors-- some with bead-board, blue pearl granite, with white tiled backsplash, and an apron-front farm sink. It even has that "dated" glass/marble mosaic framed feature above the white-enameled cooktop. And it still makes me smile.

The kitchen we had before was a medium-toned oak with laminate countertops. We gave it a refresh in 2000, but it still was dark and crowded with no place to really work and little storage. It also looked so out of place in this 1941 cape. The kitchen I have now looks more appropriate to the rest of the house. It has the cozy cottage vibe I have always been drawn to. :)

As for that man cave kitchen, I envision it with a colorful paint on the cabinets, shiny chrome hardware, new (laminate) countertop, [maybe] sink, and a shiny chrome faucet, and I think it would be adorable. I did exactly that to my old kitchen cabinets that are in our mini basement kitchen, and I just think it looks so fun! It is what I originally wanted in my kitchen, but I compromised with DH, who wasn't even originally for painted wood of any color. This way, I still get my painted kitchen cabinets AND colorful cabinets. The icing on the cake is that DH loves both! :D

Anyway, I think when a kitchen has personality and a style befitting the home, that makes for a happy, welcoming and loved kitchen. To me, that spells "timeless". :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Annkh took the words right out of my mouth when she said "So my definition of a timeless kitchen is one that works well". I totally agree with this. No matter if the cabinets are stained or painted, the counters are laminate or granite, or the appliances are ss, white, or black, a truly timeless element is function.

Before I started or even contemplated a kitchen renovation I would lament that my kitchen had so many useless cabinets and wondered why drawers weren't used instead. Many times I told DH if we ever redid the kitchen I was going to incorporate as many drawers into the design as possible. Back then I had no clue that drawers had become popular. I now have a kitchen with adequate lighting, easy storage, and a layout that makes prep and clean up a breeze. I don't give a fig if it becomes dated because it is a dream to work in. Indeed function was the main goal. I have a peninsula with cabinets over it. I just couldn't bear the thought of all the wasted storage space if I didn't add them.

• brightm
    9 years ago

The Turnpike Cruiser looks like something landed on a Thunderbird. It may have been the product of the biggest market research to date, but no one stopped to think that maybe, JUST MAYBE they shouldn't have put everyone's wanted doo-dads in one car exterior. ;)

We've been in our 1947 house for 14 years. The kitchen is probably from the early 80's. Oak cabinets with no pulls or detail of any kind, not even edgebanding, and rust colored laminate counter tops. As much as I've cursed it for these past years, it's so neutral (in some respects) that its been okay to deal with. With newer black and stainless appliances and a new faucet, it's not been THAT bad. Except for the lack of functionality. And it's not even that the main area of the kitchen is that bad. (Except for the dishwasher we put in a couple years ago that makes the knife drawer impossible to open without opening the DW.)

It's just that they put a peninsula in that cut the useable part of the kitchen down to about 60% of the kitchen. Behind the peninsula, i'm sure the intention was for it to be a breakfast area. But it's too small for a table. And there's not a counter overhang. I wish I could have a conversation with whoever planned this. Functionally...horrible. And I have to go across the kitchen to turn on one of the lights that I need to cook/clean/prep.

That's my biggest fear. We're not moving, probably ever. So I'm not worried about the taste issue. I'm not doing it for resale, and even if the elements don't come together perfectly, as long as I love them all individually...I can deal. But I'm worried that we'll somehow make the functionality worse. That would 'date' the kitchen to me. Something that I am including or not including based on current wants/needs that will make it not good functionally in the future.

• charliehorse99
    9 years ago

Here are my rules for as timeless as possible:

1. No excess ornamentation. Every detail serves a function. Beveled moldings and detailed carving do not serve a purpose and shall be omitted. That includes any "style" of cabinetry that has details to mimic some time period (unless you are in a VINTAGE home that you are trying to match). This goes for backs plashes too. Anything you pick for a backsplash that has a design WILL date your kitchen. Go solid, and go neutral. ANY "decor" you add will date it. Yes, you might have a boring kitchen -- but spice it up with paint and accents that are easily changeable.

2. Make the flow and function work. Do not sacrifice function for aesthetics. A kitchen that works will not be torn out as quickly as a dysfunctional but stylish/trendy kitchen. A well thought out kitchen is much more timeless.

3. Use the latest technology available. Do not use materials such stainless steel or granite just because you are told they are currently popular. For example, engineered stones may be superior in performance. Induction cooking is the future.

4. Size appliances using the most STANDARD of sizes available. Do not pick the LARGEST cooktop or the widest oven. Pick what is typical, then you won't be modifying cabinetry when your appliance breaks later when you want to update technology. In fact, I suggest that if you do have a specific opening for a specific appliance, that you add some additional spacers and dimension to accommodate more than one model if needed.

5. Select materials and palette that works with the house, in the same style. Don't but a victorian kitchen in a 70's ranch house.

I'll admit, I am a modernist. But look at the MCM houses that are 50+ years old, some look like they were built yesterday -- because they were built not trying to impersonate any other style and were using the latest technology available at the time.

• MissAmelia
    9 years ago

Timeless is such a hard word for me. I think that white cabinets, marble, real butcher block, natural stone, some openness and natural light are timeless to me. Granted the MOST timeless thing to me is functionality.

When I started looking for my first house my dad said something that stuck with me, "Look past ugly, you can change ugly --you can't change location, size and layout (easily)- - it is a lot easier take down some wallpaper, lighting fixtures and sea foam green carpet then it is to add an extension or re-arranging walls and be in a different neighborhood."

Now when I first started my kitchen reno FUCTION was the most important thing to me, I opened a wall, closed another, moved all my appliances around, added appliances, added an eating bar into my living room and huge amounts of counter space. That to me is timeless, my finishes however are not.

If I were to sell my house 6 months from now, I am POSITIVE people would balk at my two tone cabinets, one white with a glaze, my big farm sink, my ORB handles and fixtures and busy granite, the fact I choice new white appliances over stainless steel,, my beveled arabesque, my choice to use multiple big mouldings and other things that I can't think of right now. But to be honest I don't care. I started this project looking for validation from friends/family on what to do and was so unhappy with the results.

My mom had a 1940's farm house that she recently re-did the sprawling kitchen with ivory shaker cabinets and black movement filed granite and super top end stainless appliances, restoration hardware lights, simple and beautiful, Many times, by many people called timeless and classic--but I would never want it in my house.

I finally decided to treat my kitchen like a reflection of myself, I am 28, I am a housewife with no kids who loves to entertain and does so at least weekly. I am Italian as is my husband with HUGE families that are very close. I love makeup and wear a lot of it, I do not usually leave the house ( or my dressing room for that matter) with out the longest fake eyelashes I can find. I have hip length long blonde hair. It is not uncommon to find me in the kitchen with a pair of 6 inch stilettos on and if I think I put on enough jewelry for the day-- I will go put on just one more piece ;-)

So why can't my kitchen reflect me?... It may be over the top, it may be easily dated, it may even be deemed tacky, busy or gaudy... but I can tell you I look just right standing in the middle of it, cause honestly I am a little bit of all of those things.

BUT my layout is perfect and functional, it is opened enough to entertain, but closed enough to give me peace when I want it. My cabinets are solid, my moldings are classic (albeit there are a lot of them) my appliances are quality as are finishes-- to me THAT is timeless....

I feel finishes are personal preference in all aspects of life... My ultra crystal filled ostrich feathered giant...

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

MissAmelia,
    I love your post. So descriptive and well written, I could imagine being friends with you. :-) I love different aspects about my friends that make them unique, that I do not necessarily share, but I still appreciate.

The post about going totally neutral, including w/ back splashes, made me kind of sad. We don't live in model magazine homes. And I wouldn't want to. My home is not for the masses, it is for me. When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one, especially not yourself. This reminds me of that wonderful poem by Jenny Joseph, "When I am an Old Woman I shall wear Purple", which I will post here because I am an English major and can't help myself. :-)

When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesnâÂÂt go, and doesnâÂÂt suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say weâÂÂve no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when IâÂÂm tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick flowers in other peopleâÂÂs gardens
    And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickle for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
    And set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I also agree with many of the points in MissAmelia's post. The whole notion of "keep it neutral, even a bit boring" in a quest for the nonexistent standard of "timelessness" has always puzzled me.

When people see my kitchen for the first time, I'm pretty sure that some would love to have it and others probably not-so-much. But one comment that I have received several times is that my kitchen is very "me." And I consider that a great compliment.

I'm sure the high cost of kitchen renovations drive the quest for "timelessness." No one wants to think that the expensive features they are putting in today will look outdated tomorrow. But everything will eventually look outdated in the sense that it will no longer look newly done. A kitchen that reflects the style of your home, the rest of your decor and also somehow reflects "you" will be easier to live with years into the future.

There are some lovely, neutral kitchens here on GW, so I'm not bashing neutral kitchens. But a "boring" kitchen with no personality and no tie-in to the decor in the rest of the house and the personality of those who live there will be timeless in the sense that it will be as boring 10 years from now as it is today.

• killinsnakes
    9 years ago

OldTimeCarpenter: My kitchen is white. I like it very much. Probably as much as the oak, cherry and hickory I have had in the past. Thanks for the compliment to us white kitchen owners.
    "TIMELESS: Natural wood cabinetry. NOT TIMELESS: All white painted kitchens, try color. Any idiot can paint everything white"

• Honoria Glossop
    9 years ago

I am on the same page with EAM44.
    A kitchen is not art because it has a function, but it certainly contains elements of design.
    The Nike is art. It will never stop being art no matter how many years pass since it's creation.
    Good design is the same. If it was good design in 1950, it is still good design now.
    It's the good design that still pleases the eye, and therefore has no expiration date.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Just re-doing a 1954 kitchen in a Mid Century Garrison Colonial--grew up in that house. it had yellow ceramic tile counters and backsplashes, beautifully done,that simply got tired and used up after sixty years. Now, marble is down on the counters--new function to the house, as a sometimes- used property, not one that has to feed 7 people three times a day--and gorgeous tile backsplash surrounds the counters in ivory, butter and navy. The first kitchen lasted for at least 40 of its years in great condition and quasi-elegant attractiveness. Good materials, no crystal chandeliers in a small, simple but well-built house. After it started getting worn, then of course it was time to move on. This new renovation will also be elegant and attractive, I believe, for at least another 25 years. It suits the house, has connections to the past, and has a basis in good design that will take it forward. I like it. Works for me.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Timeless to me would be having a kitchen with cabinets and drawers that are useful and not having anything too trendy in the kitchen. To me, everyone should design their kitchen with their needs and mind and their taste since everything eventually goes out of style unless they plan to move in a few years.