Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Shaker door - bevel or straight?

Posted by Tricia21 (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 11:44

I need to let my cabinet maker ASAP if I want the door panels to be straight or have a 15 degree bevel. They both look nice to me but I feel like he favors the slight bevel. Thoughts? Here's 1 and ill post option 2 in the next one. Doors will be white

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Shaker door - bevel or straight?

Option 2

o

Mine are like #2. No bevel.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I liked the squared off edge. Your bevel is so slight that it almost disappears.

o

Would you describe the general look of your kitchen? More shaker style, or craftsman style? Or maybe more modern? Are these inset doors or overlay?

o

I also prefer #2. I went through the same selection process and settled on a door style called the Copenhagen which is exctly like your 2nd pic.

o

Mine are straight and I find that stuff gets stuck in mine and its harder to dust. Yes, I have to dust mine, but I have medium stain, so it shows up. Both are nice though!

o

It is very slight and I think that's why I'm having a hard time. I wonder if a slight edge will make cleaning easier? But I think our initial thought was straight. Our kitchen will be white shaker cabinets with full overlay. Counter is caesarstone raven with modern brushed satin pulls, stainless appliances and a light gray subway tile. The floors are a gray ceramic tile with warm tones that looks like wood. Here's a very rough pic!

o

Other side

This post was edited by Tricia21 on Fri, May 3, 13 at 13:10

o

I never thought about this but after seeing breezygirl's kitchen's cabinets, I like the straight edge slightly better but they are not that much different so choose what you like.

o

Well, I think the bevel looks a little nicer. But it's really subtle and if your cabinetmaker prefers one, I'd ask if it will save you any money to do it his way. He may have a shaper/router bit that can do the beveled edge profile in one pass, which would be easier for him. Or maybe it's easier to paint or sand with the bevel. Or maybe he just prefers the look.

o

It's all the same price...I think he prefers the look but always says "whatever you like" in his polish accent! I'm torn bc I love breezy's look but I've loved others that have a slight bevel. It's so slight, I'm wondering if it just gives a little subtle pop of detail that will make it look richer. My kitchen is in the basement so there is a just a tad of natural light....hmmmm...I noticed I can pick anything pretty quickly except for trim, moldings, wood details, etc. I get stuck on those.

o

My doors are straight but I added a small rope trim inside to give it a bit dressier look. I prefer the straight but I do think the slight bevel would be easier to clean.

o

I like the beveled edge. It adds a bit of interest without going too far. Shaker style doors seem to be the majority of what people have been doing, so any bit of interest will help them from being run of the mill.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Fri, May 3, 13 at 15:21

o

I like the bevel and I like your cabinet maker for suggesting it! It's what my vintage "hoosier" cabinet has on its doors. It will be a nice subtle detail.

o

I would choose the slight bevel edge, both for the ease of cleaning, and the bevel appears a little less harsh to me. I agree with the others, though...both are beautiful, and you're the only one that has to love them...let your heart guide you!

o

The bevel is sooo very slight I can't imagine it would make a difference with cleaning. I have straight edges, its all personal preference.

o

A slight bevel wil help prevent dirt getting into the bottom corners. My white cabinets, with no bevel, are 10 years old and the only way to get stuff out is with a toothpick and lots of spray and effort! Wish my guy would have suggested a bevel. ( It's not a lot of stuff, just dust, that accumulates over time.)

o

I, too, like the bevel. I think it softens things ever so gently and will add an even more customized feel to the space. Can't wait to see the finished room!

(Is your cabinet guy doing the painting too or are you using someone else for that?)

o

I went with the bevel - hoping for less dust collection

o

Mine have a bevel, not as slight as yours, but not huge. I was really torn between the straight and the bevel, mainly because I really wanted modern-looking clean lines. But I've found that I really like the bevels now that I have them. They look plenty modern, but maybe a little softer than the straight. Definitely a bit easier to clean.

But if I'd gotten straight, I'd love those too :-)

Here's a photo:

DSC_0346

o

In our last house we had shaker doors with a "wedge" - on the inside top and bottom of our doors. The sides were straight. The wedge was about 7/8" and worked well for cleaning and also softened the look. Don't have a picture - sorry.

o

Okay, I'll be the lone dissenter here. The bevel to me looks like a mistake. It's so slight that it looks like the shaper was off just a little and didn't cut it properly.

o

It's done! We went with the bevel. My hubby came home and honestly we both thought both looked great and we would have been happy either way. I let him make the final call and he said he liked the bevel 1 percent better so bevel it is! Thanks for commenting everyone...really appreciate the guidance and opinions. Oh and yes, he does the painting of the cabinets (and every other thing in the kitchen!).

o

Tricia21, after seeing justmakeit's kitchen with the slight bevel, I find it looks very nice. I would have to see both in person but I would choose the one easier to clean as you have done.

Granjan, thank you for letting us know that you feel the bevel also would be easier to clean as you have no bevel and it is harder to clean the corners.

I am wanting shaker doors also so I am following this thread.

o

Another vote for no bevel.

o

Ill add pics to this thread once the doors go up - I think mid next week. I have 2 small kids and 2 black cats so let's hope this tiny bevel makes cleaning just a touch easier! If not, oh wel!

o

If it helps reinforce your decision, we went with no bevel, and while I love the look--we were matching existing built-ins in our house--it is a PITA to clean; really collects a lot of gunk. Our cabinetmaker warned us about this (we're 2.5 years in) and advised us to go with the slight bevel like yours with kids and dogs, but we insisted on the straight edge. Ah well!

o

I'm ashamed to admit this to the TKO here, but I have a slight bevel and didn't even notice until the first time I cleaned my cabs! And then I was happy, because they're easier to clean than my old, straight ones.

o

Don't be ashamed fouram! I said to my husband that if my cabinet maker never asked, we'd never notice! No one else who walks into my kitchen will notice - I'm sure of this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here