Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help my plan: move fridge or pay the price?

Posted by home4all6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 11:41

I've just recently posted my plans for the new kitchen. Well, now that the space is gutted, there are a few hiccups, from the floor above. There is some ductwork and plumbing that needs to be dealt with.
The main problem is that the plumbing stack from the upstairs toilet comes down right in the middle of my planned fridge spot. So, I can pay more to have it moved to the space next to my fridge, and lose some of that broom closet, or I can move my fridge.
But I just don't see HOW I can move my fridge anywhere else in this plan...so I'm asking for your help.
Is there a spot to move it? Should I rethink the entire layout? Or just pay to have it moved over?
Did I mention the room is gutted?

Red cirle shows where plumbing stack is currently located:
 photo floorplanwithstack_zpseba6e467.png

new kitchen/DR floorplans. That plumbing stack falls right about on the "z" of freezer in the plans:
current version of NEW floorplan photo f20e9e37-a46b-4e6c-9c01-9185f457cce0_zps10b940fe.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: previous post with more layout details

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help my plan: move fridge or pay the price?

Well, darn. Sorry to hear it. Are you really interested in tossing your cards in the air and rethinking the entire layout, though? That seems a little extreme given its excellence. If you aren't, at least you very fortunately HAVE a less dramatic solution and can leave the refrigerator just where it needs to be.

And, happily, broom closets don't have to be deep or wide to be functional, right?

o
RE: help my plan: move fridge or pay the price?

That's too bad; I like the location of the fridge where your plan shows it for a number of reasons and it looks like a good layout (tho I'm no expert.)

How much would it cost to move the stack? And would it require a renovation of the bathroom above the kitchen?

Since you're paying for a kitchen renovation anyway, which we all know isn't cheap, I think if you didn't pay the incremental fee for moving the stack and ended up with a compromised layout you would regret it. I say this, though, not knowing what it would cost and whether the whole stack straight up has to move or whether it can be angled enough above the fridge to come down the rest of the way in the broom closet space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here