Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless Apron Front Sink?

Posted by bridgetmalone (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 11:38

I have to place my cabinet order in the next week or so, and I need to select a sink. We are going for a vintage feel for our 1927 colonial. White inset cabinets, schoolhouse lights, soapstone or a honed black granite, subway tile, etc. I am debating what type of sink. I love the look of the white cast iron but I have that now and it is a pain to maintain.

Thoughts on how a stainless apron front sink will fit in? I am attracted to apron front because I have a bad back and think it is better ergonomically.

We are a family of 5...not too hard on stuff but very high traffic kitchen.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless Apron Front Sink?

I've been researching building plans and magazines from this period. I've fallen in love with a 1924 Radford 1100 sqft California bungalow to build on the family farm.

Stainless steel was commonly used. In fact I've seen ads and articles with SS counters and integrated sinks so don't let anyone tell you its not period.

If you really want to bring in some vintage feel check out the colors they used at the time. I'm not into the floral curtains or wallpapers but I do love the cabinet and wall colors they used. I think about trying to strike a balance between vintage and today's aesthetics and technology. I'm not keen on using an ice box after all.

I will probably also do a SS apron sink because I love metal, but that's another story.

o

I don't have an opinion on period styling, but I want to mention that I have both a ss apron sink and soapstone. I highly, highly recommend a flush sink install. We bang around our ss pots and pans, not to mention the cast iron pots, and I am so thankful for the flush install! It has really saved our counter surrounding the sink.

o

We have one in our old cottage and have been very pleased with it. Made by Kohler.

o

I used one in our late 1920's cottage/bungalow. We live on a former dairy farm--I once found a pic of cheese being made in a vat which reminded me of a big SS sink, so I think it's appropriate. It was a budget compromise, but I love it!

o

Just beautiful Petunia!

o

I read somewhere that someone scratched their sis apron front with the metal button or belt buckle when they leaned on it. I am a leaner so I didn't get one.

o

I would think that stainless would be more of a pain to maintain then cast iron.

o

It develops a patina like any other material.

o

A stainless apron front is an unmistakable modern choice. It takes the vibe towards more "transitional" than "vintage", but that's not a bad thing. If you want more actual vintage, then have a stainless steel counter fabricated with an integral sink and drainboards. That's a very vintage detail that also can tweak modern industrial as well.

o

Farmhouse sinks are not used today the way they originally were. Today we put them over cabinetry but sinks either had an integrated drainboard, integrated into the whole countertop, or with leg (during the time period you're referring).

So a farmhouse sink the way we use it today is not authentic, but I can't imagine many people going that route.

Needless to say get what you want because SS after all can be considered a vintage material.

o

I absolutely lurve mine, bridgetmalone! And have already decided I would do it again should we ever do another kitchen reno (although after this one, it is highly unlikely hah!). That said, if I was trying to stay authentic I think I would not choose stainless. At least to my eye I agree with hollysprings that it gives a more transitional/modern look. However, unless you are doing a historical renovation, aren't we all doing a somewhat transitional/modern take on vintage design when choosing an apron front in the first place. As I type this I realize I am being of no help to you in deciding haha!
Good luck!
 photo 2013-04-28_10-39-32_968_zps92ea5734.jpg

o

Thanks everyone - helpful as always!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here