Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprila579

Kitchen Cabinets - Paint or Solid Color Stain

aprila579
13 years ago

Hi. IÂm new to the forum and have a question regarding kitchen cabinets. Purchasing a home next month and will be going in with power sprayer to prime EVERYTHING white prior to selecting paint colors (itÂs all really dark right now). I was thinking that since we will be doing the painting project anyway, I would knock out the kitchen cabinets as well. They are solid maple and in great condition, however they are original from the mid 80Âs with a dark, worn stain that IÂm not crazy about and would like to make them white (possibly with a antique glaze). IÂve read all about the process of prepping and sanding between coats for painting, but recently discovered Cabot solid color wood stain and started thinking that might be the better way to approach. Does anyone have any opinions/experience with this either way?

Thanks!!

Comments (12)

• aprila579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Olesya. Thank you for the links. Very beautiful kitchens. I believe they all choose the paint option. I would still like to know if instead of paint anyone has used a solid color stain like this:

http://www.cabotstain.com/colors-and-finishes/families/Solids-Colors.html

I know this is an exterior stain, but my thought was that it would probably hold up better than paint. Was hoping someone who has used this (inside or out )can tell me if this is the better way to go.

• olesya
    13 years ago

I think there were a couple of folks that used the stain in those threads, but I can't be sure. I myself am thinking of painting mine. Good luck!

• olesya
    13 years ago

I put "Cabot wood stain" in the search and came up with 100 matches. Try this one:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0417261425145.html

• aprila579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, but I think maybe I didn't explain what I was looking for well. IÂm not trying to decide whether to paint my cabinets white or stain them a natural wood color.

Cabot solid color stain is an exterior product that I believe is used to give the look of paint but the protection of stain to deck wood. I found it while searching for ideas on what to do with screened in porch floor. While many of their regular and color stains allow you to see the wood grain, solid color stain has a solid finish which leaves no wood grain showing. Since this is an exterior use product, I was looking to see if anyone had experience with using it on kitchen cabinets. I'm interested possibly using the solid white stain instead of white paint. Also thinking of doing an antique glaze and not sure if that would work over a stain finish.

Believe me, I have searched all over this site and web for an answer to this question and have not found it. Typically when I search for something a link to this site always comes up with some really great answers, which is why I decided to post here. I appreciate you taking the time to help with my question.

Thanks!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I've never used it on anything inside, but I have used a solid white stain on my cedar picket fence. It does cover the wood, but not like paint. It soaked in well, but did not form the type of hard surface like you get with paint, it stayed way more like what you get when you stain, only you can't see the grain through it.

I'd have to give the fence a good look, while I know it covered the grain pattern, I'm not sure if it covered up the grain texture (a problem with painting wood with a promanent grain).

If you want a hard, smooth finish, you would need to put a finish coat over it just like any other stain. Since it is stain, it is slowly fading, but there is no pealing or cracking like a painted surface would have when exposed to the elements. I have not tired to scrub or clean the fence.

It also does nothing to protect from dings and such, like harder finish (paint, polyurathene, etc) would.

I think it would work on cabinets, but you would need to apply a finish just like if you used any other stain, and then I doubt glaze would work. Not sure if you could try applying the glaze before the finish - it might soak in too much - sounds like a neat experiment though.

Cathy

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Our cabinetmaker used a white stain on our cabinets and they came out beautiful (other than the fact that we may have miscommunicated on the exact shade of white). Anyway, I had never heard of white stain before, but he was very persistent in going with the white stain over paint. I think that he could pretty much mix up any color or shade of white. The finish is super smooth and seems pretty hard. In our last house we had factory-finished Kraftmaid cabinets in a white bisque color. I think that Kraftmaid bakes on their finish or something. Anyway, I'd say that the way our cabinetmaker finished our cabinets with the white stain, they have a similar feel. My mom had her cabinets painted, and I'd say that ours feels like it has a harder, lacquer like feel. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyway, here is picture of our island in the white stain. We have several built ins and bathroom cabinets in the same finish:

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

I have a grey stain on my nordic ash cabinets, but otherwise looks similar to gobruno's island shot. Personally I love the look - it looks like a cool grey-cream room but if you get closer the wood grain does show. It is a pretty heavy stain - definitely very hard.

(Excuse the dodgy coffee maker - it has long since met its maker).

One more:

• toad97
    8 years ago

janellemelliot - i'm looking for the same information. I've painted cabinets before and it's incredibly labor intensive and the paint eventually chips. I thought an opaque white deck stain might work better on my oak cabinets, but am doing some research first.

• el_premo
    8 years ago

I'm currently using an outdoor semi-solid stain on an unfinished oak vanity. It did just what I wanted; toned down that loud grain while having the richness and depth of stained wood. It won't fool anyone into thinking it's maple, but it looks more current than honey oak.

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Please start your own thread when you have questions that are not answered in someone else's thread. It's called "hijacking" when you try to take over someone else's thread with your questions.

In addition, this is a very old thread - over 5 years old - why not try asking for more up-to-date information?

I've been ignoring a lot of these old threads b/c they're so old the original poster obviously does not need our help anymore - others think the same way. So, if you want help TODAY (as in 2015 - not 2010), then start a thread with your request. Oh, please read the "Read Me" thread as well.

Read Me: New to Kitchens? Read Me First!

Tip: Be sure the subject is descriptive of your question - you'll get more responses.