Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbpag

No backsplash on window wall? Rhome410? Anyone else?

mpagmom (SW Ohio)
11 years ago

I'm currently obsessing over the backsplash in my L-shaped kitchen. The window wall looks like this and will have no upper cabinets:

The range wall (to the right) will have a corner cabinet going down to the granite. I had originally thought I would tile only the range wall and not the window wall. That is probably still my preference, but I am wondering if others with a similar window on their sink wall have had an issue with that. Did you just caulk it where the granite and wall meet?

I noticed that rhome410 has no tile on her window wall, so I'm willing to let her be my role model. Anyone else?

Comments (15)

• abbycat9990
    11 years ago

Here's our set-up

We chose extra wide trim around the windows and have clear caulk where it meets the countertop.
    My regret/annoyance with this set-up is that I find myself compulsively wiping off water drops and splashes from the sealed wood trim. I wish the sink was set forward/the wall was pushed back, so I wouldn't get all the splashing.

In our laundry room, we have painted wall behind the sink, and a window well above the counter surface. I kind of prefer that, because I think the wall can withstand moisture better than wood trim - and there's plenty of room for a tiled backsplash, if we ever get around to it.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Haha... I have tile for my window wall, I just don't have it up yet! But I don't really ever miss it, so maybe I'll let you be my guide, and forget it. :-)

Yes, caulk, and use good quality, scrubbable paint. ;-)

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, abbycat! That laundry room is nicer than my kitchen! Thanks for the input.

rhome410, I wondered if that was unfinished business there. At least you have the tile - that's a big chunk of the battle. You'll still be my role model either way. How far up do you plan to tile on that wall?

• ellendi
    11 years ago

You don't have to, but you could. Think about a pencil liner to define the detail. You can use it all around the kitchen's backsplash.
    Some go all out and tile up to the ceiling. Not that I would n this case though but it just goes to show you that their are many options.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

I did a two inch backsplash of the same marble as my counters. It's a more contemporary look and could be temporary since I found some handcut calacatta mosaics that I might use. I don't have a natural break between the back of my range and rest of the wall, so I may just put a piece of stainless steel or one of my travel photos, blown up with glass over it for a backsplash there. I think your wall looks great with nothing.

• abbycat9990
    11 years ago

The laundry room used to be the kitchen. It was resplendent in harvest gold appliances when we bought the house. We created a new kitchen in the old DR, and used the old kitchen space for laundry, pantry, etc. It's an awesome space, and probably my favorite part of the whole remodel-LOL!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I actually had a whole discussion about how far up the wall I should go with the tile on the forum... Probably almost 2 yrs ago!

I had a variety of input, and my decision was to go way up... about 2/3 up the sides of the window for a bigger, every intentional looking presence.

Here are some of the options I considered:

Wood all the way down:

The one I decided on at the time (still not 100%):

Low strip:

Matching the under-cabinet height on the stove wall... But for no real reason here:

But looking at yours this morning, similar to what Gigi showed, I wondered if you might want to run a piece of your countertop up just far enough to meet your window trim. You could even do that as an apron feature just under your window, which someone here did in a kitchen reveal just recently.

...Oh, I found it! Provolone's kitchen, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Provolone's kitchen with granite behind sink/under window

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ellendi, for the suggestion. I'd thought about a pencil liner or something like that.

Wow, Gigi! Your kitchen is gorgeous! You are giving me some serious window envy, and the windows aren't even the most impressive part of that kitchen. Nice job!

Abbycat, I can see why that is your favorite. It looks like a magazine shot.

Thanks Rhome410, for showing me the options you considered - that's very helpful! I tried to search old backsplash threads but didn't come up with yours. I'll have a 4.5" space and thought of doing a backsplash that high there, but that's not my favorite look. I also thought about the granite under the window like Provolone's (thanks for the link because I missed that kitchen) but I don't really love that for my kitchen. I thought range wall backsplash height would look odd. I also thought about a 4.5" high piece of granite all the way around, but that reminds me too much of the cheesy formica backsplashes I've been ripping out of kitchens for the last two decades. I also have to watch it because anything too thick might keep my little drawer in the corner from opening. I like the option you chose, by the way. I was looking at mine thinking that about 14" high might look right - but I have no idea why!

The granite is going in Thursday, and I'm planning to wait until it and the upper cabinets are installed before making a decision. If I want my builder to put in the backsplash (and his tile guy is excellent) I have to make a pretty quick decision after that. I'm hoping it will be obvious to me that I need a backsplash on that wall or that it's nicer without it. Then there's the decision of exactly which tile I want...

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Mpagmom! Your days of procrastination appear to be long over! Love the new window wall - and it seems you are steamrolling towards not only a new house, but a new kitchen.

I'm going to have to find a new procrastination buddy, but you can offer inspiration for me to get over the hump! (I'm still stuck on layout....)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux seems to have had a lot of water damage on her thin strip of untiled wall behind her sink. It would make me nervous.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

marcolo beat me to it - but I will emphasize that you look mtnrredux's sink wall.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Her new kitchen? Or an old one? Anyone have a link?

• rhome410
    11 years ago

OK, I found it. We have used our kitchen hard and not babying anything, as kids 6-20 are accustomed to doing, for over 4 years and our wall behind our backsplash doesn't have anything like that problem she shows after 10 months.

I suppose it's a risk, but I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion. Seeing mine close-up, I can see it's a bit dirty, and could use a paint touch-up, since the paint has been scrubbed and the highest tips of the texture are turning white. But no bubbling or soft spots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mtrdredux's thread

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steph2000, I've missed you! I can still be your procrastination buddy because I am procrastinating about oh-so-many things. We're supposed to be putting our house on the market very soon - ask me if a single room is ready.

Marcolo and Tuesday, thanks for your concern about leaving the wall untiled. I don't remember mtnrdredux having specific damage - just a maintenance issue, but it's a good thread to bring for me to read through. I'm pretty sure I have regular drywall there and a lot of people recommended something water resistant or waterproof.

Rhome410, thanks for finding the link and showing yours. I'm sure you have harder use than I will because I have half as many kids.

I'll probably end up tiling it. My granite goes in tomorrow and I'm hoping it will be obvious to me which tile to use and how far up the wall to tile.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Mpgamom- I don't know what the rest of the kitchen looks like, but from what I can see it looks like white and white...so I'd pick a glass/shiny tile for that sink wall! It would give you texture and a little color, even if it's more irridescent. I think 2/3 of the way up...as Rhome originally planned...would look great :)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County