Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jagmuse

Cabico - Reviews/Pricing

jagmuse
15 years ago

Hi - new to the forum, astounded by the wealth of info out there! We are in the very very early stages of planning a kitchen remodel, and I'm researching cabinets, and have seen a number of good comments about Cabico, and like the look of their line, but I'm still trying to get a sense of where they fall in the pricing range compared to other brands, so I would love to hear what you paid for Cabico cabs, and what you think of them! I don't want to fall in love with them and then find out they are way out of the stratosphere budget-wise! I've seen comments that they're reasonable, but what does that mean for semi-custom cabs?? Thanks!

Comments (31)

• gshop
    15 years ago

You might want to do a search (at the bottom of the page, Not the top) for Cabico and read the other threads. I hate to see a new poster not getting any attention. Good Luck!

• maisondiva
    15 years ago

I just had Cabicos installed in a new laundry room. Can't yet comment on durability, but they look great and frankly I didn't expect the "slow close" drawer mechanism in cabinetry at this price range. Cabico is indeed reasonably priced. Perhaps some one else can attest to their
    quality over the long haul, especially if you're buying kitchen cabinets.

will

• jagmuse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did a search first, and got a few good comments, but nothing specific on pricing.

Maisondiva - what was the price range for your laundry room, and how many cabs did you put in?

Thanks!

• ehs20815
    15 years ago

Love my cabicos. I've posted about them before. I had them in my last house (installed 2004, still going strong according to the current owners) and will be having my new cabicos installed NEXT WEEK (hopefully). I will say that my friend/neighbor also had cabicos installed in 2004, but she got beaded inset, and they have not held up as well as my frameless/full overlays. (We both have young kids and I would venture to say her kids are probably gentler on her kitchen than mine are, so I think it's an issue with the beaded inset). Since they are custom, the price really depends on what you select.

• maisondiva
    15 years ago

jagmuse,
    i ordered cabico frameless shaker #8050-K, white lacquer on MDF. 2 upper cabinets, a tall (floor to ceiling type) cabinet, double over-the-fridge, double base cabinet, double base sink and a wide base cabinet which has narrow drawers for storing things like tablecloths, platters, etc. Cost was $5150 without tax. i purchased from a small kitchen design store in connecticut. 5 weeks delivery time. i actually have another upper on order.
    hope this helps....

• jagmuse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks - that's helpful. I realize that custom is going to vary from person to person, but hearing what a kitchen could cost (or a set of cabs in this case) gives me an idea of where the range hits. We're probably going to do something fairly simple - Shaker, frameless, white is what I'm leaning toward, so that is very helpful to get a sense of it. Thanks!

Also good to know about the beaded inset - what specifically isn't holding up so well, do you know?

Thanks everyone!

• nskylark
    15 years ago

Our Cabico cabinets were about $19k. As a comparison - we had got a quote from Crown Point that was a loyout with 1/4 less cabinets and it was $30k.

So far we have been very happy with the Cabinets.

• mom6
    15 years ago

We had Cabico Cabs installed in Sept 06. I found they are very well priced and you can modify so much that although they are semi custom they almost become custom because you can really get what you want. We didn't really have any problems. I would just add be very very specific about what you want. We have a pretty big kitchen and paid about $17K for the cabs. I think they did have a price increase since then though. There are more cabs that aren't visible in these pics too. Here are some pics:

• jagmuse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Mom6, love your kitchen!! Thanks, that is hugely helpful. Those are great tiles in your backsplash too! Very nice indeed.

• sahsah
    15 years ago

Hi everybody,

I have been away from the forum for a while, tied up on other things.
    I need to order some upper cabinets where I can have them made prepped for glass without paying many dollars extra per door. Cabico looks like it would be great but I don't see anyway to order directly & I don't see a link to where the products are sold. The few links I found on a search brought me to sites which Google directed me but the kitchen cabinet stores did not list Cabico.
    Does anyone who has used Cabico tell me how to find out where/how I can order the cabinets? I am stumped.

• rachelle_g
    15 years ago

sahsah: Probably the easiest way would be to use their "contact us" page to ask who their dealers are in your area.

• ca_la_juno_com
    14 years ago

Anyone know where I can obtain a spec book on Cabico cabinets? There are no local dealers but I've found some dealers outside of my area who will place the order if I provide them the exact skus for the cabinets, etc.

• franktoti_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I did a kitchen remodel for a client in 2005,natural cherry shaker style and just recently got a call saying almost all the lowers and about half the uppers, that the lacquer finish is peeling at all the joints and on most of the panels. Upon inspection these cabinet faces look horrible. For the past two weeks been calling and emailing the company, I get no response via email and all I get via the phone is an answering machine and no returned calls. Being it is only a few days before Xmas I would expect that if the shop is closed down for the holidays the message would reflect this. Also the dealer we bought the cabinets from has not been able to get in touch with the rep. in this area again no returned calls and email's. I'm not happy and neither is my client.

• beselter_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i priced out cabinets from brookhaven ...and am now looking to match the style and finish with cabico. i'm looking for more review/comparisons. It's nice to save money but i do not want to compromise quality. any insights?

• bluebeach
    11 years ago

Could anyone please comment on the quality of Cabico vs Schrock or Shiloh? And how do they compare in price? Higher? lower? I have a 13 foot island, 12 foot wall of cabinets and almost a 5 foot built in pantry I'm trying to price. Thank you so much. PS -- I live in the MA (I know that affects pricing sometimes too!)

• nick6416
    10 years ago

I have been considering Cabico cherry cabinets and had the opportunity to view two recently (2013) done kitchens, one in dark cherry and the other in a light natural shade. In both kitchens the grain in the wood was not nice. Very straight, none of the movement in the grain that makes cherry beautiful. They might as well have been made of pine because standing in those two kitchens looking at the cabs, couldn't tell that they were cherry. I know two families that used cabico painted cabs recently and they are very nice but I'm concerned about the cracks that form at the mitered corners on painted wood cabs when the wood expands and contracts with changes in humidity.
    Very disappointing but must now look elsewhere for cherry cabs.

• shopwithme
    8 years ago

I purchased Cabico about years ago and my only problem was the difference in the colors of each cabinet. some were more yellow some were more orange. (I purchased the natural maple with glaze s that was the hot item back then). They have since turned more orange but Natural maple tends to change colors or even darken in years. But I am ready to do it again and trying to figure out what to purchase. I can say that my cabinets have held up very well for the amount of use that they have had. The best thing about these cabinets is the quality and durability of the wood. They feel heavy and sturdy. I feel very good about them. I have bene searching for cabinets like them at a decent price and have not really found any. I see so many complaints about others I have been looking at, (showcase, decora and St. Martin - ( from PA but the boxes come from China) I don't know what to do b/c I don't want to pay the price but anything cheaper may not hold up. Espcilly from China Ask Q's - they wont tell you they are from China - they say made in PA b/c that is where they are sent to from China. If you have the $$ then cabico is the way to go. They feel great. They have many different lines and the dealer is suggesting the cheaper line but I am worried about the word "cheap". I think you get what you pay for. I don't know if I have helped anyone but all I can tell you is that I am looing for the same kind of cabinet b/c they are great but cant find any - don't know what I am going to do in he end . Still shopping around. If I can swing it I think I would go with Cabico again. Of course, I had problems when they arrived but Cabico did stand behind their products. Not to the degree which I had hoped - the difference in colors between the cabinets but wood is wood?!?!? They were not painted - only glazed. so I had no paint chipping issues, just color. I hope I didn't confuse anyone further.

• jrg86
    7 years ago

We had white painted Cabico cabinets installed in 2014. ALL of the doors have had to be replaced due to cracking in the paint. Thankfully our builder has been responsive. It has only happened with the white painted cabinets in the kitchen.....none of the bathroom cabinets. I am resigning myself to the fact that a brand new house may need new cabinets in the near future. They keep cracking.

• cybermummy
    6 years ago

There seems to be some questions in regards to price of Cabico Cabinets compared to other brands of the same quality. This is what I know.

Cabico is a Canadian company. The cost of the cabinets depends on the value of the US dollar to the Canadian dollar at the time you purchase. If the Canadian dollar is valued lower, your US dollars will buy more product at a lower price than similar cabinets built in the US.

In addition, Cabico's factory is a very modern facility. Most US cabinet manufacturers build standard sizes and have them in inventory in their warehouse. Cabico does their manufacturing differently. Each order is built as a single "run" in the factory, which enables them to customize each order to your specifications. Their system utilizes modern manufacturing technology to lower the cost as they do not have the overhead of maintaining a large inventory. Most US cabinet manufacturers add a significant extra cost for non standard sizes, while Cabico's manufacturing process avoids this entirely.

Aside from new construction, I believe that if you are remodeling a kitchen in an existing structure, you cannot go wrong with Cabico.

• Yondermom 45
    2 years ago

We got Cabico cabinets 3 years ago. I am very disappointed in the quality of my doors and drawer fronts. I expected them to hold up better. We are in our 70's with no kids around. We've also been away for 12 months of that time. The cabinets we replaced for our new kitchen are better shape thanCabico's and they are 20 years old! (The insides are great.) . One drawer was poorly finished and they chip. I expect a lot more for $19,000 cabinets.

• C Y
    2 years ago

Love my Cabico cabinets. Purchased 20 years ago for about $20k and they still look and function like new. A few highly used doors paint has worn a bit but so do other painted cabinets.

• HU-657707222
    2 years ago

We are extremely unhappy with the quality of Cabico cabinets. Ours were installed four months and the paint already has rubbed off on virtually every cabinet door from daily use (e.g., paint on refrigerator by the handle, corners of the dishwasher door). They also chip like crazy from very gentle use. Our vendor, Signature Kitchens in Staten Island, won't return our calls, as we have requested some help resolving these issues Our calls to the Cabico Rep- who was liaison between Cabico and Signature Kitchens- told us there was an issue with Cabico quality but he cannot help us. I have tried to directly reach out to Cabico and they won't speak with me, as they have a policy to only speak with vendors. I'd run away from Cabico cabinets as quickly as you can. The quality is very poor.

• N O
    last year

HU-657707222 - Please send me a PM. I can help you with this.

• sunnyledge
    last year

I have white and they are stained just from fingerprints. I am constantly Trying to clean them. We are 2 adults. When the sun hits at an angle, you can see how horrid they look. I called the company after a couple months and they said to use a brown paper bag to wipe them off. Did not work. Nothing removes them. Also they chip very easily. I have clear stoppers so the doors don’t touch. I would not recommend these cabinets.

• Karen L
    last year

@HU-657707222 and @sunnyledge - Can you tell me which line of cabico cabinets you got? Ours are getting installed right now and I'm getting nervous about the quality based on what I've read here. They look great right now and I really hope they hold up. Thanks!

• sunnyledge
    last year

Cabico white palazzo. I would recommend that the installers of the knobs or pulls have clean hands…that is where many of the stains are. Be careful of what is on your hands…cream, sunscreen. I wash the lower edges of the cabinets often. I think pulls are much better than knobs. Unfortunately, I had no choice because of spacing in corners…no room for the pulls. Good luck.

• Karen L
    last year

That is great advice, thank you. We have pulls for everything but they aren’t installed yet.

• Karen L
    last year

Our installers have installed all the cabinets except for the cabinet doors and I don’t see any smudges or stains yet - I’m assuming that’s a good sign? What do you use to clean your cabinets? Other than the stains, have they held up well so far?

• sunnyledge
    last year

Just diluted dish liquid. I had one cabinet that yellowed across the bottom where it was pushed shut regularly. I ended up gently using a mr clean white eraser. I figured it couldn’t . make it any worse and I could replace door if I had to.

• Susan Kelly
    3 months ago

Our personal experience with Cabico has been awful. A straightforward kitchen remodel- same footprint, just replacing cabinets, counters and appliances- started in July and is extending to February due to Cabico’s mistakes. They sent an east facing stove cabinet without a panel- took months to get the correct panel. They sent a cabinet for a coffee station at the wrong size, which our contractor had to send out to be resized. The latest fiasco is a middle cabinet that was the wrong size. Was told it was “expedited” November. Arrived broken in January and now has to be “expedited”
    again. Our experience with Cabico has been miserable. Be warned.