Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with kitchen cabinet shelf fix...

Posted by jackierooke (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 11:31

I had the kitchen remodeled 3 years ago with Merillat cabinets. never again! they are so crappy. One of my upper cabinets I thought was coming off the wall last year so called the contractor. He came out right away and said it wasn't the installation the cabinet is coming apart!. he put more screws in to make sure it wouldn't fall down.

But the problem is the shelves. There is a gap now between the cabinet and the side wall (its in a corner) so the shelves don't meet the wall and hence the bracket is too short and it falls down. I keep canned goods in that cabinet and am now having to use a metal shelf on the back porch like I did BEFORE I got a new kitchen!

Any ideas to fix the shelf?

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with kitchen cabinet shelf fix...

There is a gap now between the cabinet and the side wall (its in a corner) so the shelves don't meet the wall and hence the bracket is too short and it falls down.

Don't understand. Pictures would help a lot.

Are the shelves inside of the cabinet?

Are the cabinets made out of particle board or plywood?

How is the cabinet coming apart?

Are the cabinets still under warranty?

Two approaches. Best one is to take the cabinet down & repair it. If they're constructed out of particle board, repairs are not as easily done as w/ plywood. And a lot depends on what the problem is.

Least desirable option is to get new shelving material and cut new shelves to fit.

Or, perhaps the best option would be to just replace the cabinet if you can still get the style & finish from Merillat. And to reinforce the new cabinet before installation since this is a cab that you store heavy canned goods in.

Warranty info:

Merillat offers three warranties. These are the Merillat Masterpiece limited lifetime warranty, the Merillat Classic 5-year limited lifetime warranty, and the Merillat Essentials 1-year limited warranty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here