Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenaddict

Slab pick-up with fabricator. Any advice for me?

kitchenaddict
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm meeting with my fabricator at the granite yard today, when he will pick up my 2 slabs of Delicatus White. He came yesterday and did the measuring for the counter. Any words of wisdom as to what I should specify to him. I have some ideas but would like to hear from the experts of the GW Kitchen Forum first!

Also, I think I want the full bull-nose edge. If you have it, do you like it?

And of course, I love to see pictures if that would help with your responses!

Comments (13)

• jb1176
    13 years ago

I think you should get the edge you like. Bullnose will be beautiful with delicatus white granite. Go for it.!

• jb1176
    13 years ago

I think you should get the edge you like. Bullnose will be beautiful with delicatus white granite. Go for it.!

• undecidedliz
    13 years ago

I was told by the granite people that full bull-nose can cause liquids spilled on the counter to roll down the counter and into your cabinets whereas the other edges will drip off the side to the floor-something to think about. Otherwise, I think it depends on what your style is. I liked the simple eased edge but chose the 3/8 roundover to get a little more softness on that front edge and prevent the possibility of small chips.

• kitchenaddict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

undecidedliz..I was thinking the same thing about the liquid spill issue...so thanks for your input. The 3/8 roundover may be a more practical option for me.

jb1176, do you have a full bullnose edge? And thank you for the granite compliment:)

Anyone else have advice? Thanks in advance!

• padola07
    13 years ago

Make sure you see every lot they have. The last 2 stone yards I've been to. they showed me the first lot and then said "ok we're done" then I say "umm... do you have another lot?" and in both cases, I liked the second lot better.

• olga_d
    13 years ago

We have a full bullnose edge on our counters (I actually prefer an eased edge but this was a compromise with DH). I haven't had any problems with spills that people always mention on here, but then I'm not a big spiller I guess. We've had our counters for a little over a year now.

I say get the edge you like the most!

• teaforwendy
    13 years ago

What edge did you choose? Delicatus was one of the three on my list; it's so nice and sparkly! What color cabinets? We went with a plain eased edge because our granite is really sparkly too (Bianco Antico) and I felt like I could see more of the stone with the eased edge. However, my cabinet style is very plain as well. My SIL has fancier doors and full bullnose granite edges and it's gorgeous! It will look great whatever you choose. Have fun at the granite yard.

• danielle84
    13 years ago

Full bull-nose or half bull-nose are nice but you might see the top of your lower cabinets which I do not think is very nice. (to my oppinion)
    Also the edge has to match your cabinet design or other elements of your kitchen to a certain point. Are your cabs design square or are they curvy?
    A Pencil edge would look nice. The granite will seem thicker and more expensive.
    Good luck

• jb1176
    13 years ago

Sorry about the double post above. I did not intend to do that. In answer to your question we have a simple round over edge. It was chosen because the cabinets are very simple and we liked the thicker looking edge but with enough round over to help avoid chipping.

• vidaprodiga
    13 years ago

Not to be the negative one, but I am a fabricator for the WA/OR area and it's your decision to use any edge profile you choose, however we have a lot of people who tell us they don't like full bull nose because it narrows the look of the granite thickness down. However it is full your choice and I am sure it will look marvelous.

www.debroecksolidsurface.com

• kitchenaddict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. Decisions, decisions!

teaforwendy..My cabs are a dark brownish/black. Finally had a sample to put next to my del.white and it looks good to me! They are a shaker style door...very simple. I was thinking that I wanted something rounded on top for the following reason:

1. I like the way rounded edges look, even with shaker cabs.
    2. The peninsula is a breakfast bar and I thought it would be more comfortable on the arms.

Decided to go with a 1/4 round. Round on the top and flat on the bottom.

One more decision down...Whew! How many more to go???

• teaforwendy
    13 years ago

Delicatus will be gorgeous with dark cabinets. Congratulations!

• kitchenaddict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wanted to update...Granite installed yesterday:)

So happy with the 1/4 round edge. The granite looks super thick to me. Love it! Thanks for your help and advice!