Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imlebby

New white w/ soapstone (PICS) - Looking 4 ideas to warm it up!

imlebby
12 years ago

Now that our kitchen is finally complete (with great thanks to the Garden Web community for so much help), I am looking for suggestions and advice to help warm up the space. Looking for help especially for the space at the end of the peninsula against the backsplash as that is the area you see first when walking into the new space.

First the "before" kitchen - (and to think that we lived with our kitchen this way for almost 11 years!) I think this can be entered into the "most ugly and unfunctional space EVER! contest" - can you say "WINNER!"?

And, after blowing the above room off of the back of our house...here is the finished product! (We stil need a light over the kitchen table and the stools are temporary until I find something else...)

Window treatments, accessories, plants, colors? Please share what you would do to warm it up!

Thanks!

Comments (58)

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Short panels IMO are very dated. With panels I always measure from ceiling to floor (a standard 84 inch panel size usually works perfectly on an 8 ft ceiling), and extend the rod by aprox. 8 inches on either side of window so that when the panels are in the open position it makes the windows and wall look larger and do not block any part of the window. For example-if your windows measure 48 inches wide use a use a 64 inch rod. The rod goes on the wall up close to the ceiling (leaving a few inches for decorative finials if necessary). You could then do a bamboo type roman on the window next to the door and even on the door if you need privacy at night. I like to mix things up and not have all windows the same unless it is in a very formal space. I would also put the roman up at the same height as your panels, so when in the open position does not block the window, again creating a visual of larger windows and open space.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Great transformation - be sure to share follow up pics once you add those accessories!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Red curtains, red fabrics, red rugs, red stuff. Or screaming green if you're not a red person.

• ellaf
    12 years ago

Holy new kitchen batman! It looks great, I like coastal's suggestions about wall treatments, but I think it will look homey in no time with your family getting used to it.

• holligator
    12 years ago

Your new kitchen is simply gorgeous--I know you must be thrilled! I understand completely, having also lived 11 years with a completely inadequate kitchen. It sure makes you appreciate the new one that much more.

I'd like to see you make the accents functional. I can easily picture a row of small terra cotta pots with herbs in them in front of the window near the fridge. A couple of interesting baskets could hold onions and potatoes, maybe in the corner near the knife block. As for the more decorative stuff that might go on the display shelves, a collection of some kind would be best. Having one main accent color (whatever color makes you happy) that you can weave through your knick knacks, window treatments, and rugs would help keep everything looking pulled together without being excessively matchy.

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

What a wonderful transformation. You went from a small NYC size kitchen, to a spectacular area.

You've really got some great basic items in there now which lets you go anywhere you want as far as color goes. You can make it warm like you are asking while later on changing it out and making it a completely different kitchen.

I can't wait to see what you end up doing (sorry, accessories are not my strength).

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

Looks amazing.

I think your accessories will happen naturally. Some potted plants sounds like a great idea though.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

What a beautiful space. You must be thrilled with the difference. I really like the green walls and would probably play that up in accessorizing.
    (We've been in our new space now for 8 months and I'm still accessorizing. It took me a while to decide which direction I wanted to go with regards to colour and window coverings.)

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

wow.. LOVE the transformation!

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Really, really lovely. Did you already post details in another thread? If not, do share!!

• brickton
    12 years ago

You went from a nightmare kitchen to a dream kitchen. Seriously amazing transformation.

If you don't mind me asking what are the dimensions of the peninsula (length / width)?

Again this looks amazing. I would also vote for some bamboo blinds on the windows with panels overtop.

• drdannie
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. One of the great things about your kitchen is that you can do any color as an accent and then change it when/if you want. Personally, I love yellow with green and white. What about woven shades of some type for the window? Texture also adds warmth to a space. And please - I'm with jalsy6 - post details. I love your pendants and your faucet.

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All of your comments and suggestions are great and I appreciate the compliments! Thanks so much!

@brickton - the peninsula is 37 1/2" wide by 7ft 3" long. the overhang is about 11 inches....we lost an inch on it when a piece of moulding was added to the undercab - (learning process).

The pendants are Quoizel and the name is Emery in the Imperial Silver color - I got them off of CSN.com which is a great online lighting store especially for narrowing searches (learned about it here).

The faucet is a Moen from Home Depot - don't remeber the exact name but will look and see if I can find it.

Will try to post more details later! We are dealing with a water heater issue at the moment - joys of home ownership!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I second the choices of yellow, red or "screaming green" ;) for accent colors. Roman shade over the kitchen windows, panels or sheers in the dining area, rugs in kitchen & dining area, fun knick-knacks on shelves, maybe a colorful crock for oft-used utensils or a pretty glass cutting board on display, and definitely some potted plants (herbs?) in the window sill. Gorgeous kitchen, and after 11 years in the other one, you deserve it!
    Here are a couple pics from my inspiration file that remind me of your kitchen; perhaps they'll inspire you!

And this one has very little in common with your kitchen, but it's accessorized well - The Lettered Cottage

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

What a beautiful "blank slate". Smart of you ... Whatever you do w fabrics you can change out easily for a totally new vibe I a few years.

Def need texture .. Baskets for fruit and breads.

How about a rosemary topiary in a clay pot? Clay would like great in your space

• kadydid
    12 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Your "before" kitchen has an almost identical layout to my Mom's kitchen (hers is the mirror image), which she has been working in since 1960. Still with the original cabinets. And the orginal refrigerator. At about 16 cu ft and with the evaporator coils recessed into the wall, her fridge is effectively cabinet depth, so it leaves a bit more walking room than you had. I totally understand what you were working with.

The new space is really lovely. I don't have anything to add to what other posters have suggested. I think you will be very happy.

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

I'd suggest plants, candles and rugs - all mentioned by others. The real reason I'm posting is to say your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. I'm always impressed when someone else's "before" shots are in the same category as I consider my personal "before" kitchen. You really can get that "wow" factor at your finished product. Again, you did a wonderful job and I'm sure you're doing your own personal happy dance!!

SQ

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

OT - Can you tell me what kind of stove you have in your kitchen and how you like it? Thanks for you help!

• maruha
    12 years ago

I did a little happy dance when I saw this, because so much of what you did is what I am doing, so it's fun to see it pulled together! Do you mind sharing what cabinet paint color you used?

I love the pictures above that jessicaml posted. Your stools and floor color are warm, so I would continue similar tones in a basket or two on the counter, kitchen towels, curtains, etc.

Can't wait to see what you do!

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@OT - our Range is a Kitchenaid 36" Dual Fuel. If you are in the DC / MD / No VA Area, let me know as we purchased it at a place where it was about $1,000 less than where I had seen it, even online. So far we are really enjoying it. I especially like the black top as it doesn't show the spills like a SS top would - and of course not having to light it with a match as we were doing for years in our old kitchen :).

@Maruha - We purchased Kraftmaid cabinets and they are in the Dove White or White Dove (can't remember what they call it - but it's the brightest of the White Maple Painted Cabs). They are not the thermofoil white. I hemmed and hawed back and forth between the Canvas and the White Dove, but in the end, I am happy with the brighter white as the rest of my home has alot of bright white wainscoating, and trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid 36

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Imlebby: Wow; you are an alchemist! That is a marvelous rabbit you've pulled out of your hat: miraculous transformation. The new looks as good as the old was dysfunctional. More, probably: I hope you'll be so happy.

I'd say, spread all the kid pics and kid artwork out first and fill in around it. That's just me, but I think you've got the perfect blank slate for what's most important of all and from the looks of your former kitchen it seems you might have the same philosophy .... speaking of which, what's the black knobbly-thing on the old wall?

Congratulations!

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ aliris19 - thanks mucho! The knobbly thing is an antique set of horse sleigh bells. They were my Dad's and I love them - just need to find a new spot!

• toddimt
    12 years ago

Wow. Awesome transformation. I am not the decorating guru so I will let other speak.

Curious as to your range hood. Whose hood is it?

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I'm located in MD and about to purchase the KA 36" range...where is this awesome deal from? I was planning on using @ppliance source in annapolis.

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw the range and hood look in Pipdog's kitchen and made my decision right then and there! Their kitchen is a real beauty on this site.

@ todds - The hood is a DAH 18 Flairline by Vent-a Hood

@ brianadarnell - we purchased through Appliance Builders Wholesalers - their price has gone up by about $250 since I ordered but it was still a great price compared to what else was out there at that time. Here is their link.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABW

• ejbrymom
    12 years ago

What a BEAUTIFUL! space! What brand in your window?

As far as warming it up, it needs some accessories. I can see red in your kitchen. Fabric above the windows, pops of color in things on the counter. Beautiful beautiful space! ENJOY IT!

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ejbrymom - our windows came through our contractor from a local window company....I think they make their own and it's one thing in our construction process that I had wished I had paid more attention to....I never saw them before they were installed and the quality is not what I would have wanted as far as their mechanics and overall weight / durability. We did however pick the look of that window as far as the two sliders on the sides and the big picture window in the center - I know most companies make that window's shape - so you should be able to find it out there somewhere!

• toddimt
    12 years ago

What is your ceiling height?

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The ceilings are 8' 3"

• ralphs95
    12 years ago

We love your new kitchen! We're in Northern Virginia, and are in the early stages of remodeling our kitchen. We're going for a very similar look: white painted maple, wood floors to match the dining room, and soapstone or honed granite countertops. I am more interested in using soapstone. Can you please tell me where you got yours? Thanks a lot!

• ellabee_2016
    12 years ago

@ralphs95: Much of the soapstone sold in the US is mined in Brazil, but there is still some that comes from Virginia, in Albemarle County near Charlottesville. Alberene Soapstone is the company.

• newenglandladybug
    12 years ago

Beautiful space...I second plants...and for some reason a copper planter with herbs by the window jumps to mind. That and some rush-woven seats at the island for some texture. I am lousy with window treatments, but I think I'd say white and sheer: it's nice to be able to wash kitchen curtains easily b/c they get gross quickly, and I wouldn't want anything to block out that nice light you get.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you don't go with red, purple would be so pretty. You can go dark or light and it will look great with the green.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Can you tell me what paint color are your cabinets!

I do think a punch of red would look fantastic!

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Beautiful work! Job well done!
    I could see a braided wool rug under you table, maybe?
    jessicaml's pics are so close it's uncanny.
    It looks great. Love your stone!

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas!!! I am SLOWLY picking out things ....but am also a bit burned out in the decision making process!!

@tinker_2006: the cabs are Kraftmaid and it's their brightest white - white dove or dove white... I forget which. I debated between these and their Canvas color which was a bit more creamy but I have white trim everywhere in our home so I didn't think the cream would work as well ... I am very happy with them!

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

I like the calm/austerity of the space and wouldn't want to do too much to it: agree that Roman shades, rugs, some cookbooks, and potted plants on the porch outside would soften things up really nicely, along with the inevitable functional clutter of a kitchen -- except: what is in that cabinet near the kitchen table? If you don't need for that cabinet to be there, I might consider a bookcase for cookbooks (and good sound insulation), and a comfortable chair with ottoman and good reading light in front of it, for perusing those cookbooks. It's fun to read or surf in the kitchen, and it would make the space cozy. Maybe bookcases on either side of the window to balance? And you could array pottery or something useful there. I'm partial to things like bookshelves and window seats on outside walls because of the "thick wall" feeling that they provide, that concept that Susan Susanka of Not So Big Houses has promoted. Or was it the Pattern Language people who talk about thick walls? Can't remember.

The cabinet is lovely, but maybe it would work just as well somewhere else in your house?

I love what you've done, and think it was worth waiting for. We, too, lived with a fairly hideous kitchen for 10 years before remodeling ours -- we appreciate the transformation all the more!

Also, your screened porch is heavenly!
    Lynn

• ralphs95
    12 years ago

imlebby:

What type of soapstone did you install? Are you pleased with it? And who did the install/fabrication?

We're also in DC area and looking at white with soapstone and would love to get advice for a look like yours. Your kitchen looks great.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• minty19
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen! Do you have a microwave hiding in there somewhere?

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ralphs95 - when you asked about soapstone earlier in the feed, I had actually responded to you directly to your email - maybe you never got it - sorry if so! Our soapstone is "Original PA" - PA stands for the name of an area or a mine in Brazil and it came through www.greenmountainsoapstone.com in VT. They have dealiers/fabricators all over the us. We used our local rep listed for MD but there are different reps listed for DC/Northern Va. It's a beautiful stone and so far so good as far as hardness (it's one of the harder soapstones.)

@Minty19 - our microwave is actually on a stand in our closet right now as it doesn't match a thing. We had thougt of putting it to the left of the fridge, but we'll need to upgrade it first. $$$ :)

• ralphs95
    12 years ago

Thanks so much imlebby!! We're leaning to the same type of soapstone.

Did you use Avanti in Frederick? Would you recommend them based on your experience and did you work with someone specifically?

Thanks again for the info. It would be really nice to have have some insight into a good fabricator/installer of soapstone in the area.

• julize
    12 years ago

Hi imlebby,

I came across this thread and was just wondering about any changes you've made since your original post back in May? I'd really love to see an updated pic if you have one (it doesn't have to be perfect/finished). We're going for a very similar look (also in the DC area, coincidentally) but I have a lot of concerns about our kitchen ending up too stark with all the white. I know accessories can make all the difference in the world and I think seeing what you've done so far would help me feel a lot better. I have a feeling your finished product is really going to look great!

By the way, if you're still out there Ralphs95, I think we're getting our soapstone through EuroStoneCraft in Herndon (also Green Mountain). Have you talked to them at all? We got quotes from Creative in Counters (Cabinet Discounters) and Old Mill Soapstone, but the prices at ESC seemed to be the best. They also had a really big selection. Haven't tried Avanti. Do you think it would be worth the drive to Frederick?

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@julize -

I have since made a few small changes...but they are small and really consist only of 2 different utensil holders on either side of the stove and a basil plant on the window sill next to the stove....our renovation also included making the decisions for two bathrooms as well as an entire new upstairs as far as paint, carpet, fixtures, lighting, etc.....to say I am decisioned out, is an understatement. Plus my kiddos are home over the summer and the last place they want to be is combing stores for finds!! So, I hope to make some moves in the fall when I can shop, look at fabrics, etc.

I will tell you that I was nervous about the bright white of the cabs before they were in and truthfully, even without the warm-ups, I am 100% pleased with the bright white. We have alot of bright white trim in our house and I could not for the life of me figure out how to best incorporate the creamy in with the rest of my white. We used Kraftmaid, so it was either bright white or their canvas which in some lights, is just a slight difference but in other lights is pretty creamy.

I always love looking at commericals on TV and most have bright white kitchens! Gives me the confidence that we did the right thing for us. I do love the pics also that jessicaml posted in this feed earlier - just a few plants or other color really does make a difference and what is nice is that you can always change the color scheme easily! Good luck and once I have something to really show I'll be back in touch.

• ralphs95
    12 years ago

Hi again imlebby,

Thanks again for sharing! It's great to see your finished product as ours is still coming together. Can you tell us about your backsplash tiles, sink/faucet, and cabinet hardware? Did you get them locally in the DC area or online? Are your recessed lights halogen?
    Thanks again.

@julize - We're going to check our Eurostonecraft and possibly Avanti. Will let you know about our findings.

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@julize -

I have since made a few small changes...but they are small and really consist only of 2 different utensil holders on either side of the stove and a basil plant on the window sill next to the stove....our renovation also included making the decisions for two bathrooms as well as an entire new upstairs as far as paint, carpet, fixtures, lighting, etc.....to say I am decisioned out, is an understatement. Plus my kiddos are home over the summer and the last place they want to be is combing stores for finds!! So, I hope to make some moves in the fall when I can shop, look at fabrics, etc.

I will tell you that I was nervous about the bright white of the cabs before they were in and truthfully, even without the warm-ups, I am 100% pleased with the bright white. We have alot of bright white trim in our house and I could not for the life of me figure out how to best incorporate the creamy in with the rest of my white. We used Kraftmaid, so it was either bright white or their canvas which in some lights, is just a slight difference but in other lights is pretty creamy.

I always love looking at commericals on TV and most have bright white kitchens! Gives me the confidence that we did the right thing for us. I do love the pics also that jessicaml posted in this feed earlier - just a few plants or other color really does make a difference and what is nice is that you can always change the color scheme easily! Good luck and once I have something to really show I'll be back in touch.

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

Wonderful kitchen!

• Rachel94583
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I have to make up my mind on my countertop material today and am torn between black honed granite (Indian Premium Black Honed)or a lighter granite with some movement (White Springs or St. Cecelia Rio). I love the look you've done. It's what I'm drawn to in every magazine, often with soft yellow walls, which is what my adjoining large dining area is with a huge oak table. But I'm worried about what it will be like to look down on all that flat black and if my teenagers' crumbs and finger prints will drive me crazy. My appliances, including the sink and stovetop, will stainless. I'd love anyone's feedback about what it's like to live with flat black countertops. Thanks!

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rachel94583 - we ended up with Green Mountian Soapstone so although it's black, it does have veins - sort of like a reverse marble. I will admit that it does show fingerprints and crumbs, but I find that this helps me to clean more often than my everything blends in countertops from before! When it's oiled it's harder to see. I think the stainless shows fingerprints more than the counter.

I appreciate your kind words and compliments! Good luck with your decision. Go for what you love!

• imlebby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Ralph95 - sorry, I am reading my emails backwards and am responding here that way too!

Our backsplash is a standard "in house" subway from KG Tile in Timonium, MD. I was sort of against spending tons of $$ on a subway as I wanted a traditional look and knew I didn't have to break the bank to do it. I went with KG's version vs. Home Depot's / Lowes' as for me it was a slight bit brighter white that seemed to match my cabinets better and it was a bit glossier...which I thought would help bring some life to the white. They also carried end pieces (bullnosed on both sides and regular subway bull noses) vs the bull nose ones at HD/Lowes which reminded me of my bathroom upstairs (where we also did subways). (Hd & Lowes have thinner pieces vs the full sized subway tile with rounded edges that KG had and we needed a double bullnosed corner piece)

The sink is an Artisan. It's what the soapstone fabricator sold and we just went with that. It's their largest double bowl - AR3521. We had a 20 gage sink before and although I never noticed a tinny sound to it, I can definitely tell the difference with this. The one negtive with this sink is that the "catcher" for food in the large bowl (we have a disposal in the small bowl) sits low so it's hard to get your fingers into the well to pick out food that may have slipped by the strainer. I don't know if this can be adjusted. You can order online, amazon, etc. www.artisanstyles.com

The faucet is a Moen and it was purchased very quickly when my husband and I stopped at home depot one evening. A faucet was not that important to us and we knew we didn't want to drop tons of $$ on it which you can do on some...I will try to find the name of it....but we both like it alot, the soap dispenser works well with it and it doesn't get dirty or fingerprinty!! (a big bonus)

The cabinet hardware is from Restoration Hardware. I went to the Columbia, MD store to see it all in person, and then ordered what they didn't have in stock on line in the store so that there was no shipping. We chose the Hanson knobs and the Gilmore pulls...both in the polished nickel.

Our recessed lights are just cfl bulbs...they take a while to ligth up but we like them once they are on!!

I'd love to see pics of your progress! Exciting times!!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler