Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
angry at new etch/stain

Posted by huango (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 11:20

So sad and angry.

Woke up to huge brown dried-on blob on my marble countertop.
Well, it's totally etched in.

Angry at my DH for stuffing more stuff into the countertop-compost container ← that 's what we think the liquid spilled from.

Angry at myself for not clearing off the countertop last night.
Been wicked busy w/ work/landscaping/son's BIG bday party/Town Election, so the housework has fallen wayside (yeah, house looks like a tornado hit it).

I had just cleared off the counter yesterday morning, but I was working until 1am so I got tired/went to bed.

Sad because I'm concerned that the brown stain may not fade, and that my beautiful countertop is totally marred.
I have to live w/ the etching, but wasn't prepared for the stain (since I sealed it w/in 6months).

Took pictures but haven't loaded them.

A few inches away from this new etch is our very 1st etch the size of a half dollar coin. Just last week, I was happily amazed that this etch was fading.
HA! Now there's an 8"x6" blob-etch to add to it. The brownish stain makes it more noticeable.

Oh yes, there are WAY worst things in life...but ...

Amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: angry at new etch/stain

I agree, definitely a first world problem, but disappointing none the less. I feel your pain, hopefully it will fade quickly and add to the natural patina of your lovely stone!

o

I'm sorry, but it illustrates the primary reason I personally would never get marble counters in a kitchen - because I don't want to have be that careful about what goes on in the kitchen.

o

huango, take a deep breath. Your beautiful Danby looks similar to my Montclair Danby and I'm sure you can hone that etch. Do you still have a sample piece to practice on? I did it on mine and brought it back to its full beautiy. Google how to hone marble and you'll find lots of info. Our own Bill Vincent recommends it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on honing

o

I would do some searches on poultices. I haven't ever done it but I have read about them being used to draw stains out from stones, including marble. Won't help with the etch, but if it gets the stain out, then the etching should be less noticeable. Good luck!

o

This is why, when I said I liked marble, they told everyone it was not to be used in kitchens. The first fabricator I had that discussion with told me about these million dollar homes (now probably $2-2.5 mil) where the builder put in marble and the buyers had it removed -- one right away and another with the first etch. On the other hand, marble has been used for kitchen counters and work surfaces in Europe for centuries. The fabricator I would up using told me he spent some time in Europe and got interested in stone (had been an accountant) there. He said he visited a French chef whose marble counters were stained with wine and mustard, but beautiful beyond compare -- as were the meals.

With sealants, we don't have to live with a lot of staining, but if they happen, they aren't a disaster either. They often fade on their own -- possibly completely. They will often clean up or be removed with a poultice. Etching can be managed -- much better than life at times. Breathe, relax and remember that you have a piece of nature in your kitchen -- it wasn't meant to be perfect, just beautiful. And it is.

This post was edited by lascatx on Sun, May 25, 14 at 12:53

o

When you sign up for marble, you sign up for etching and staining. It's like stainless steel sinks - your first scratch is terrible, but inevitable. Later there will be many more scratches in a stainless sink, which will blend into a patina, as there will be many more etches in your marble over time. Shrug it off, and realize your marble will have patina. As Lascatx mentioned, in European kitchens the counters can be full of etching, and no one thinks anything of it. In fact, it's a badge of honor. On a recent episode of Ask This Old House, there was a professional chef featured who was getting marble counters for his home kitchen, and mentioned that he was looking forward to the patina on his marble.

It's a working kitchen, you chose marble, relax. You won't be able to get angry every time this happens, or you will go crazy, and it's not fair to others in your home to get angry, since you chose to have marble, and consequently, the etching that comes with it.

Chef Michael Symon commenting on marble counters for his home kitchen (28-second snippet of ATOH episode)

Ask This Old House visits Michael Symon at his Lola restaurant and in his home - click on "scene selection 4" to go to Symon segment

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:28

o

I agree to try a poultice to draw out the stain (though it won't help with the etching but that sound like a secondary problem from your description). We got granite in our kitchen and marble on the dining room cabinet section because I knew I would stress over it. But I practiced on a sample of my marble and while things did stain it, I also tried a simple poultice (I think it was a paste of baking soda and water, left overnight under some plastic wrap). I was impressed at how well I cleared up the balsamic vinegar and soya sauce stains. I hope with some research (and maybe practice on a sample marble square) you can find a good poultice that will help with your stain!

o

The Marble Institute of America has a website page on stain removal. See their recommendations for removal of organic types of stains, since this would match with compost.

I would imagine the folks at Danby marble might be able to help you out with suggestions specific to the type of Danby you have, too.

Please post back with pics of stain removal progress. Doing so would really help those of us who are smitten with marble but are feeling hesitant to add it to our kitchens due to staining and etching concerns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble Institute of America stain removal suggestions

o

See if you can find Stu Rosen here. Perhaps email him. He likely will have good suggestion for you. Good luck. I feel sure that your problem is addressable, albeit hugely frustrating.

o

Surely you were expecting etching and staining when you decided to use marble in a kitchen?

Besides following the advice about poultices and whatnot (and there's a lot more threads on the topic if you google), I'd regard it like the first door ding on a new car. Curse a few times, then resign yourself to it happening many more times.

o

Huango-don't despair. Hopefully SRosen or Oldryder will see your post. You've got Danby-stains almost always can be removed & etches can also be removed. I did it with the Comet w/ Bleach & green scrubbie. You'll have to reseal afterwards but it can be done. Bbtix also had great success.
Very unusual to not be able to remove stains from Danby marble.

o

this is part of developing your "patina" (fancy word for lots of stains and scratches accumulated over the years). it's marble.

o

huango:

Place a little hydrogen peroxide over the stain and let it dwell for a while. That's a good start before trying a poultice.

o

Treb, I'm getting a carrara counter (bathroom) in a couple of weeks and bookmarking tips for oopsies. I think I read somewhere that the hydrogen peroxide used for lifting stains is different from the stuff in most medicine cabinets. True? If so, what am I looking for and where do I buy it?

o

"I think I read somewhere that the hydrogen peroxide used for lifting stains is different from the stuff in most medicine cabinets. True? If so, what am I looking for and where do I buy it?"

linelle:

I should have said to try the weak medicine cabinet stuff first, but I inventory the #40 stuff and get it at the local beauty supply store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrogen Peroxide

o

Thanks Trebruchet.

o

This a bit like being angry at a dog that barks. It's the nature of the beast. Enjoy it for what it is and don't expect it to behave like something it isn't.

o

Huango - sorry to hear about it. Surely, it doesn't help to hear us saying, "Hey, it's marble, what d'ya expect?" Surely you knew that stains and etching were inevitable with your choice...it just hurts when it first happens.

I hope that you are able to get the stain out. I hope that you are able to embrace the natural tendencies of the marble - I'm sure that in a few years, if you post a photo with all it's patina, we will say it's lovely and very "European".

o

I feel bad for the DH who she says in her OP she is angry at. I think there are many threads on the Kitchens Forum about marble, and the repeated theme of those threads is that if you are not comfortable with staining and etching you should choose something else. So I am hoping the OP will think of that, and come to love her marble's patina. This thread has great tips on removing stains, but it is a 100% certainty that there will be more stains and etches on the marble in the life of her kitchen.

o

Amanda - so sorry to hear and at a crazy time too. Hope your son's birthday party is/was a great success. Fingers crossed on this end for a happy ending. Best, oldbat2be

P.S. - even if I'D done it, I'd still be angry at DH and the kids and the dog and....((((hugs))))

o
I've calmed down

Thank you for everyone’s input.

Yup, that was my knee-jerk reaction that morning.
I have simmered down a whole lot.

Yes, I truly understand about patina. That is actually the reason why DH and I decided to choose this gorgeous marble; nothing else compared to it.
But like Andrea said: “Surely you knew that stains and etching were inevitable with your choice…IT JUST HURTS WHEN IT FIRST HAPPENS.”

All the other etches have been small. DH’s 1st big chip off the sink edge hurt me physically.
So this brownish etch took it to a new level.

But I’ve told DH: we will re-hone everything right before we put the house on the market (15+yrs from now).

I may look into trying some buffing or something on my sample piece in the Fall, but right now, I have gorgeous cut flowers from my garden or fresh mint (for the ever-flowing mojitos) that have JUST the right spot (over the etch). Hahhahahaa

After I calmed down, I am grateful for several things.

Yes, I am very happy that this etching shows that my wonderful DH has taken to composting just as much as I do, using the countertop composter.

I am also delirious that all the hard work and crazy amount of time resulted in the most wonderful 10th birthday party for my amazing son!

See the candy table I made for him.
Check out the:
- 4 level candy cake
- Croquembouche (munchkin cone cake)
- Dum-dum lollipops “bouquets” (each one had over 200 dum-dums)
- “ice-cream” cones filled with surprise M&Ms
- Homemade rock candy
- 150 chocolate and vanilla cupcakes
- 150 brigadeiros (Brazilian chocolate bon-bons)
- 7-layer jello
- Balloon columns
- Homemade personalized “take-out” boxes

Anyone remember the donut-on-a-string game? These boys loved it!
This was all AFTER the 2 adventures at 5 Wits <-- I really recommend these clues/spy experiences.

Here is a link that might be useful: candy table

o

What a great follow-up! So happy you enjoyed your kitchen so much for your son's tenth birthday. What a blessing!

o

So...my invite to that awesome party got lost in the mail right?!?

You did a lot of work and it turned out wonderfully!

o

Love the candy table. What a great Mom!

o

Huan - try Clorox Cleanup spray. I have statuary marble (sealed with 511). I got red coloring on there once when rolling out fondant. The Clorox Cleanup took it immediately off and no harm to my marble. The etch, of course, will stay, but the stain should go.

o
Real party was in the next room! :)

Hahahaha.
Ah, to be in a room with fourteen 10years old BOYS and 5 little girls high on sugar.....

But the real party was in the next room.
We adults enjoyed 2 fabulous pitchers of Mai Tai cocktails, while my assistant-for-the-day dealt with them jumping beans.
Yup, ever since the kids turned 6, I never host any parties without an assistant. I want to be able to enjoy the party, not just fret with the little details.
AND to have it outside of the house. We had the party at Patriot Place Saga Hibachi restaurant, so no clean up for me! Yay!

Posted by Texas_Gem (My Page) on Mon, May 26, 14 at 23:36
So...my invite to that awesome party got lost in the mail right?!?
You did a lot of work and it turned out wonderfully!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here