Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
backsplash question: mix or not?

Posted by chesters_house (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 11:11

I need to finalize a tile order and I can't seem to make up my mind. A while back, I scored 5 1/2 boxes of Winchester tile (crackle glaze) on Craiglist. It's almost but not quite enough to do the backsplash. What I have is this (porcelain shade):

photo winchesterporcelain.jpg

So do I carry on with this or blend in a box of this (linen):
 photo winchesterlinen.jpg

I'm doing pretty dark oak cabinets - recognizably darker than the woodwork, since trying to match would always be a smidge off. Walls will be a pale yellow, drawing from the base of these lights. The color is lighter, more buttery, in real life.
 photo kitchenceilinglights.jpg

Probably, but still not 100% committed to milk glass and porcelain pulls.

I'd appreciate some help! The backsplash runs behind the sink and around a wall until it dies into a window.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: backsplash question: mix or not?

Are you doing a focal point behind the range? I would mix them in there.
If not, I could see using them as a border tile with the same color pencil tile, then use the lighter but install in a diamond rather than straight square. What is your counter? It needs to blend with the darker color for this to work.
Did you research all possibilities for getting extra tiles?
Also, it would be even more helpful if you posted your kitchen.

o

Looks super classic! Love your tiles and absolutely adore your lights. I would personally do the one color as you will be more flexible with other finishes later on rather than having the tile be a bit bossy and driving your other finishes.

o

Wish I could post a picture of the kitchen -- demo is a few weeks away. But I'm hoping to get the tile lined up for the contractor since it's a special order. And I'll be in and out of town while the work is going on.
The counter will be maple. The kitchen has a lot of light -- 6 windows, glass door, light from all directions -- but some contrast seemed like a good idea.
The plan for behind the stove is stainless. The range will be on the other side of the window from where the tile ends.
The diamond idea is good -- a random mix might look more like, "hey, we ran out of tile, but look what we found!"
My concern about all porcelain is that section seeming stark and a bit disconnected in what already is a room chopped up with all the windows.

o

Funny you should say -- it's the lights that have been driving decisions! They were an ebay item, apparently out of convent in Michigan built in the 1910s. Rewrired now and good as new!

o

Given your description of the stainless behind range and being chopped up by windows, I would suggest doing all the tile in one color. The backsplash already sounds like a busy place to me. I'd keep the tile simple so as not to make the eye moving around more than it already will. One color tile will help to unify those areas.

Very pretty colors and gorgeous tile!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here