Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarygrace_gw

Magnetic Chalkboard Paint

clarygrace
11 years ago

I've posted this on the paint forum, but is doesn't seem to be very active. I have a question regarding magnetic chalkboard paint. Does anyone have any experience with it? I found the attached website which is the inventor's sale/site as well, I think.

Would like to put this on a section of a wall in the laundry room. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnetic Chalkboard Paint

Comments (15)

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Boy, that paint is expensive! I was thinking about doing something similar in my kitchen but I think I will buy a piece of metal and paint it with chalkboard paint. Then I'll frame it out to dress it up a bit and hide the edges of the metal.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Chalkboard Paint

• dee850
    11 years ago

I haven't used it myself, but a friend of mine did and reported that the magnetic aspect is so weak that it's really useless. Even after multiple coats of the magnetic layer. The chalkboard aspect is fine, but nothing heavier than the thin paper-like magnets will stick. Sounds like painting a piece of sheet metal would work better.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Here is a link to a blog that I found the idea on. I couldn't find it a minute ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog Inspiration

• clarygrace
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the input, I think the metal sheet and chalkboard paint route is the better one and cheaper too!

• chispa
    11 years ago

I used the magnetic paint about 7 years ago. I bought it at a BM paint store, but I"m not sure what brand the paint was. It was a pain to paint with. It was thick and goopy. I did several coats and sanded between coats. The result was not as smooth as the smooth finish on my walls.

I painted the triangle wall on a short staircase leading to our mudroom, so it wasn't obvious that the wall was not perfectly smooth. I also covered the magnetic paint with the same paint color as the rest of the room, as I was interested in the magnetic aspect and not the chalkboard one.

As far as magnets, you need to use special magnets that are very small but extremely magnetic. My DH happened to have some from some of his hobbies and it makes a big difference. These magnets can be found on line.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

clarygrace - I did this in our laundry room when we moved in. I agree with the suggestion of using metal painted with chalkboard paint because I had to do many, MANY coats of paint and it never held the magnets well at all.

Since our laundry rooms are so similar in size, I thought I'd mention that another issue I had is that, as we were walking by with hands full of laundry baskets or groceries - my door leads to the garage - whatever has hanging here got knocked off constantly. We also had a register right there that blew papers all over the place. What a mess!

We never used the board and then the painters just had to skim the whole wall to be able to paint over since there was so much paint there.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I just painted a steel door with Krylon brand chaulk board paint which I purchased at Sherwin Williams (about $15). I applied it with a foam roller and did 4 coats. I think it could use another coat, but it looks great and was easy to do.

My GC told me not to paint the edges so that we can apply trim more easily, later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krylon chaulk board paint

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

My friend owns a small store that sells baby and kids toys and clothes. She painted a wall with some type of chalkboard paint, and she's really not impressed with it. It works really well for making announcements about sales and activities if she uses wet chalk, but you also need to wipe it off with a sponge and water to clean it. It's not good for the kids to color on because regular dry chalk doesn't write well on it. It isn't quite the same as the chalkboards we're used to in elementary schools. I dont know if she used the magnetic kind of paint or not. I'm guessing she didn't since she wouldn't want magnets around toddlers.

Maybe new and better paint is available, but I'd recommend testing it in a small patch before you commit all the way.

• clarygrace
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again....I'm still pondering -- I can purchase a 4 x 5 magnetic chalkboard for about $300, but as ayerg73 mentioned, we have similar size laundry room and we would could potentially be knocking into it bringing groceries etc. in from the garage.

All this started when I told DH that our new fridge is true stainless steel and thus no more magnets and stuff on the fridge; he makes such a mess with it and this was my solution to get the mess out of the kitchen. I told him he could have a magnetic chalk board in the laundry room for his countless magnets and pieces of paper! He's worse than the kids sometimes :) Thanks again!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Back painted glass can work also - just write on it.
    They also make paint that works like a marker board

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I'm not keen on the chalk dust everywhere so I'm going to try these from Ikea, or something similar. It seems like these would be easier to keep clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiteboard magnet board

• lalithar
    11 years ago

If you want chalk, I suggest a thin sheet of metal you paint it's chalk board paint. Martha Stewart website has some articles for fun chalk board colors. This will be a great surface for magnets to stick.

• jalsy6
    11 years ago

Just makes sure you get the right kind of metal. I thought I was so smart and I went to Lowe's and bought a large piece of their sheet metal and then hit it with 3 coats of chalkboard paint. Not magnetic at all. The only thing I can figure is that it's a non magnetic metal (I didn't know those existed). So now I have a non magnetic, lovely trimmed out chalkboard that could have cost me $50 less.
    Frustrating to say the least!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I didn't know those existed"

Probably aluminum.

Steel (iron) is the most common of the ferromagnetic metals.

• jalsy6
    11 years ago

brickeyee- I figured as much. Now I have to decide if I feel like mustering up the muscle to do it over. Argh!