Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Paint reveal and not being on trend

cawaps
9 years ago

Many of you don't know me, as I haven't been as active on the board as I used to be. But I've been a GWebber since 2007, I think. That was back when there was an actual plan to remodel a kitchen. That plan was derailed by a divorce and a move, and the subsequent loss of financial security.

I moved into an apartment that my ex and I owned and had remodeled a few years before with tenants in mind. Which is to say, we didn't put a ton of money into it and were aspiring to make it rentable, not a dream kitchen. So, the historic layout remained: it has a scullery, which is to say that the range and refrigerator are in one room (12x13) and the sink and all the built-in cabinetry are in another (6x6).

Let me tell you, washing dishes in a 6x6 room with cabinetry on two sides, painted stark white, is depressing. Very depressing. So I hatched a plan to paint it.

Purple.

The kind of purple that makes subsequent owners ask, "What was she thinking?"

But darn it, it's my kitchen, and I'm the one doing dishes in it now. And it's just paint and can be easily fixed with three coats of some other color.

Before:

I wasn't kidding about the 6x6 (actually, 72"x73"). The cabinets on the right are not full depth, because then there would be no room to walk. The cabinets on the left were new when we remodeled it for a rental (2006 or 2007), and were chosen to more or less match the cabinets on the right, which are either original to the 1910 Edwardian house (with neoclassical details) or are the result of a very early (pre-1930) remodel). Note how very trendy the cabinets are, especially the ones on the right: Inset shaker with cabinet latches. The trends of the past decade have been entirely in sync with the age and style of my house.

Back in the day, inset cabinets were often paired with slab front face frame drawers. The drawer slides for the drawers on the right are state-of-the-art-1910 wood slides that drop sawdust into the drawers.

The floor is vinyl, the counter is Silestone Rosa Gray.

So, moving on to the purple.

Wait for it...

Drum Roll

After:

Eccentric? Maybe. Trendy? Definitely not. Timeless? Oh, h-e-double-hockey-sticks no. But I love it. It makes me happy every time I go in there.

Comments (53)

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

...(and the crowd goes wild!) Beautiful! I love what the color does for the counters too.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Hey cawaps! Nice to have you back, and I think it's lovely.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I remember you and I'm sorry life has thrown you a few curves. I hope you'll feel in the end like it is all for the better.

I love the purple and it really makes the space!

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

The room looks awesome. It looks warm now. And the space looks bigger too. The all white was flat. This gives the space depth. Do you mind sharing paint info?

• purplepansies
    9 years ago

OMG, I love it! It looks terrific, so much better than all that stark white. It even makes me want to wash dishes!
    :)

Purple rocks!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I think this is what Sara means when she sings, "I want to see you be brave!" I feel better now about my mango dining room. :)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The paint is Behr Blackberry Wine. The main part of the kitchen is Behr Pear, which you can see in its non-remodeled, cabinet-free, non-trendy glory below. FWIW, I love my 12 feet of uninterrupted worktables. And no, the cat isn't allowed on the counter, but it doesn't seem to matter.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Great color combo, would make me happy too!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my, that is really a glorious shade of purple. I surely didn't know what to expect when I scrolled down but that color is so darn delicious it makes me want to use it in my own home! I love washing dishes. It is my zen time and washing dishes in that room would make me smile ear to ear!

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Love both the purple and the pear! As I'm reading this, your Blackberry Wine color swatch matches the chair I'm sitting on nearly perfectly! My living room sofa, chair and ottoman are plum. My dishes and kitchen accent colors are plum, mustard yellow, and celery green. I painted an accent wall in my newly opened space SW Exquisite Plum.

Did I mention, I love purple? Fortunately, it is both mine and my DH's fav color.

Hope color returns to your life just as it did to mine. I was in similar circumstances 12 years ago. Life brings curve balls and can change for the better.

• eleena
    9 years ago

Cawaps,

I was also hanging around GW back in 2006-2007 when I was remodeling my bathrooms and I remember you!

Love the purple!

Also, your countertops looked pretty bland, so to speak, with white walls and now they look "wow". I even had to scroll up and down a couple of times to make sure they are actually the same on both pictures. :-)

Good to have you back and hope your troubles will be over soon.

• lannegreene
    9 years ago

Great purple, way to be bold. It gives the space personality.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

It's so perfect and beautiful. You were brave and you turned a bland space into a great space.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I love that shade of purple. It is smoky and sexy and fabulous!
    Diane

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I like the purple too, but that's not a crazy purple. I thought about painting my dining room a similar color, but couldn't get it quite right. Crazy purple would probably be the grape bubble gum purple I panted our aquarium stand. It was fun, but it was not timeless. I think your Mulberry Wine will keep you happy longer.

And just for the record, I don't think that's a counter. It's a window seat. And one that appears to have great sunning potential. T least it has an easy clean surface. LOL

Sorry for the reason you are there, but glad you are having fun and taking charge. Can't wait til you get some colorful poster for that wall too. Enjoy!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I think it is fabulous, and I think you are fabulous for doing it1 Plus your countertops look lie mine, which are probably re-named HD brand.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Holy Eggplant, Batman!

I love purple too, and that is truly gorgeous. Such a great contrast to the pear!

Now I think you should stencil a meaningful phrase on the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Breathe

• amck2
    9 years ago

I remember you from back when I was doing our lake build. Yours was among the user names that I'd rename in my head when quickly scanning - you were catnaps, to me :)

I love your kitchen space & the new color. Like others, I held my breath expecting to see Barney purple and was pleasantly surprised by the rich, deep but happy shade.

I'm another hand dishwasher. It's a wind down time for me and I much prefer it to having the chore of unloading the dishwasher hanging over me. I also happen to like small spaces, so would enjoy working in that sink area.

• annettacm
    9 years ago

My aunt painted a similar shade when she did her kitchen.... we all said, "purple?" when she told us her choice. And her mother (my grandmother) hated it. Which made her love it even more. :)

When it was all done, with hickory cabinets and black counters, it was beautiful. And she was happy. And that made me love it even more, especially with the childlike rebellious dig at her mom (God rest my beloved grandma; we did love her so).

I love your choice!

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I am not a fan of purple, but absolutely LOVE the way youâÂÂve transformed that scullery. It totally works, and must make you smile each time you look at it. ThatâÂÂs the way to enjoy your space!

• caseykees
    9 years ago

I love the color! FWIW, if not for my significant other, I would probably paint my cabinets purple. LOL He nixed the idea. :)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The nice thing about life changes like those you've had to endureâ¦

You can paint your kitchen any damn color you want! :D

• blfenton
    9 years ago

That purple looks amazing with the counters. A bold but perfect choice.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I do remember your board name...

I love the purple! I have saved pics of purple kitchen cabs... and an eggplant exterior door. I'll get the door next fall. the cabs - not so sure about. more because of the work it'd take me than anything else. I'd probably get 1 or 2 doors done and it'd be like that for the next 10 yrs or so.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Cawaps, did no one tell you about the override codes? Cats are very trainable, but only up to the override codes. Overrides are not to be confused with ask forgivenesses. The cat who sits in your favorite chair and runs when he sees you coming is going on the better to ask forgiveness than permission rule. Overrides are where there is no sense of wrongdoing, where the cat knows the rule doesn't apply because there's an override.

Override Cat Rule #6: Rules about furniture do not apply when the furniture is optimally placed for looking out the window.

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

So pretty! I thought you were going to paint the cabinets purple, so this wasn't so shocking.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

Cawaps......I remember when you used to be here as well.....Welcome back....! Your scullery has personality now! Your Blackberry and Pear colors are refreshing...and truly inspired! Love your whimsical Sunflower print too. Sorry t hear life handed you lemons....but your have definitely made lemonade of it!

• Lauraeds
    9 years ago

That is fabulous. It's pretty much the color of my dining room (a smoky grey-purple), and my loving room at my old house was a bit of a grape-ier purple. Love the purple!!

• magsnj
    9 years ago

Color is such an easy way for us to brighten or moods!! Congratulations on your boldness!! I wish more people were this daring and expressive.

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I'm in love with your purple walls! What a fantastic color and your room looks so much more inviting now. Great choice!

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

If your personality matches your cheery spaces you won't be single long :)

• brightm
    9 years ago

I knew that color would have a great name! Blackberry wine. Definitely not JUST purple. It's gorgeous.

And I'm partial to the Pear too. My office is Pear on the top and Green Apple (IIRC) on the bottom. :)

I've never heard of a skullery. I'm learning a lot here. I love your decision to make it work for you. (I'm a big fan of color.)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Great color - but I might need to go get some Blackberry ice cream to eat in your kitchen.
    My SIL loves purple and has a similar color purple in her kitchen and DR.
    Thanks for sharing!

• carree
    9 years ago

All I can say is YUM!
    PS, May I call you Catnap, too lol?! Congrats....you are fabulous.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Sorry about the circumstances, but I have to say, you have picked some awesome paint colours, which I'm sure make you smile every day!

Both colours are gorgeous!

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

"...and the crowd goes wild!"

Exactly! Well done.

• nmjen
    9 years ago

I really like that purple! We have a purple powder room (a lighter, more pastel purple) that I'm going to repaint soon--this makes me think that perhaps we just need to darken our purple to make it work! What a nice little nook.

• Mgoblue85
    9 years ago

Wow - it's amazing what a can a paint can do. I love color and think it looks fabulous...the green too. The purple really brings life to that room. It looks like a much happier space now.

I've been in your shoes - life only gets better!!!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love the purple but I absolutely adore the Pear! What a cheery room. Looks like your cat is really enjoying the view.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I see so many people choosing neutral paints that I forget how many people do like more vibrant colors--whether they choose them for their walls or not.

And thanks for the kind words about the divorce as well. It's really water under the bridge (we separated 4 years ago and have been divorced 1 1/2 yrs). But there may be folks here who still remember that we were contemplating an expensive remodel, and I guess I feel compelled to explain why I'm now down to small incremental improvements (This month, paint the scullery. Next year: a range hood!). And not feeling financial secure enough to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a "real" remodel doesn't mean I'm financially insecure, just that my priorities have changed (like maintaining a larger emergency fund since I am a one-earner household now). Anyway, thanks for the support!

• chispa
    9 years ago

Good grief, I must have misread because I thought you said you painted the cabinets purple and I was dreading seeing the photo!!! The walls and room look great. An easy fix if a future owner wanted a different wall color ... purple cabinets not so much!

• bpollen
    9 years ago

You are brave, Grasshopper! How many of us are so afraid of color? Purple is a beautiful color, IMO. For me, I wouldn't have gone that dark. I would've done lavender, maybe with some artwork or other accessories with dark purple in them. The darkness of the walls would make me feel closed in. But, hey, if YOU like it, that's what counts. It's just paint. If y ou're going to go bold, purple is a good color to choose. It also doesn't hurt that purple is a flattering color to wear so you probably look gorgeous standing by those walls!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Love the beautiful eggplant purple on the walls! It's such a rich color and really makes your window trim, counters and white cabinets look wonderful with the contrast.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I, too, remember you. I'm not certain what year I came over from the Mid-Atlantic Gardening board, where I joined Gardenweb in 2004, but I think it was about the same time you were here.

Let me tell you, I've BTDT divorce thing, being absolutely financially screwed for the rest of my life, and legally indigent. I qualified for food stamps, but felt it wrong when I could actually work!:) But, it's a point of hitting bottom. It gets old, very fast and it sure takes time for the wounds to scab over. Heal? Maybe never, but the tread marks made from moving on squash them down.

I immediately thought you'd painted the room BM 'Kasbah' which is what my den is going to be. I've been looking for a very dusty, not blue, not magenta purple for years. I'll have to look at your color in my light. I'm thinking of the ceiling in BM 'Weimeriner.' (you know, that silver gray dog color I can't spell?) GORGEOUS. I'm not doing any neutrals at all. Why should I?

I, like you, live alone and have only my own bad self to please. And please me I do, or I rip it out and do it over. ("DO OVER," she screamed wildly, waving her arms!)

I love the historic elements of your place. Far more interesting. Your green apple choice is way out of my radar, but I'm a red chick, so stay tuned for probably a crazy red in one of my bedrooms. :)

I have a quote from J.K. Rollins I have written on my unfinished drywall. I laugh wryly when I read it and close my door leaving the world outside: "Rock bottom is the foundation upon which I've (re)built my life." Yeah baby!

Welcome back. Great choice.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I love it, love it! After seeing Muffet's kitchen and finding out the purple is called Gypsy Magic(Behr), I was on a mission...

Well...my husband wasn't ready for it in the kitchen....but..it's on the head board wall in my room! And we love it..l also picked up a gallon of Dark Lilac (one shade lighter on the card)...that will be the rest of the walls...

But I still have plenty of the G.Magic..so one day it may just show up on those kitchen walls!

I also love it with the Pear...

Just awesome!

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I love it! You made my day!

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I like it. We did a small half bath in a veryvery dark blue. Love it. I thought dark colors were supposed to make a space feel larger...they recede away? Heard that somewhere. Too many design rules!

• alizarge
    9 years ago

I love the Pear color - might be just right for my kitchen ceiling.

What kind of stove is that? It looks nice and pretty uncomplicated, which is what I'm after.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AlizaRGE, I actually cannot remember the make of the stove. As I mentioned, we had be renting out this apartment and the range was pretty much chosen for price, not features. Maybe $400? Less than $500, certainly. The simmer is terrible. I used to make rice on the stove at my old place with no problems--on a 1960 Wedgewood Holly--but could not do it on this range without burning it. I had to get a rice cooker. But except for that, it's perfectly adequate. Definitely uncomplicated.

CEFreeman, BM Kasbah is beautiful! The Blackberry wine is darker and more intense (not as sophisticated!). I love Weimeraner, too, and am looking at using something similar for my bedroom (next painting project).

I don't actually live alone. I have my almost-10-year-old daughter half time. But I don't have her doing dishes (yet), and she's on board with the purple in any case, although I think she was surprised by how dark it was. Purple-black, she called it.

• pamghatten
    9 years ago

I am a lover of purple (I painted my barn royal purple) and a lover of color, and think your scullery & kitchen are great colors! My kitchen is a royal blue .... color makes me happy too!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath