Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allie22031

Order of decisions

allie22031
13 years ago

Maybe this has been covered before, but I haven't seen it in my wanderings through the pages and pages of posts.

In what order do you make decisions? I have completed purchase of cabinets, deposit on granite (which has a sink as well) and appliances (range, refrig, micro, hood and dw) are purchased. I am working on ordering the new window that is needed. My thought was to move on to backsplash and floor, but I wonder if I am missing something. Since the cabinet are ordered I am most likely looking at demo in about 4 weeks time.

thanks,

Allie

Comments (8)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

You are making great progress! Every decision I made was painfully slow, but as I made them I was very happy and confident with each step. Each person is different.

I would suggest that you wait on the backsplash until last, or at least until the cabinets and counters are in. You will really want to see how things look overall.

As far as the floor goes, in my case I think that might have been the first thing I chose, only because I fell head over heels in love with my wide plank cork floor. And then I found my granite (Bianco Antico) and well, everything else including the "sparkly feel" of the kitchen fell into place.

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

How about lighting? You need to know that when the rough in is done. Then, after the walls are in and rough ins done , the floor comes next. So I would get moving on that. Your backsplash can wait, and many here do not make a selection on that until everything else is done so they can really see how it will look.

Have you selected your faucets?

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

i agree with numbers and bee...

What about paint? I would paint before the cabs go in.

And flooring, lighting and faucet should be on your agenda, as numbers said. Backsplash can wait and will be easier to choose once the cabs and granite are in.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

There are two different phases of construction:
    Before dry wall and after dry wall.

Before dry wall, you need to be absolutely certain of HVAC (heating ventilating and air conditioning) locations and upgrades. If you need to move your vent, this is the time.

Electrical rough in locations, including ceiling light locations. If you are doing floor electrical placement ie for lights for sofa, you need to do this now also since the electrician is there. We are putting plates on the floor for the sofas in our LR.

Plumbing rough in locations, including DW, ice maker for the freezer, and other appliances that need water.
    Speaker wires, if you are getting them.
    Computer, phone jacks, cable jack locations (my desk area in the kitchen has phone, computer jack, cable jack, which we are keeping)
    I am having CAT6 jack placed on my island, for example, so the kids can do homework on the island. We have the entire house networked so one more jack in the house is nothing. We do not use wireless, FWIWm because it is notieably slower....

They the dry wall goes on.
    Then you paint. You need to have the paint colors picked for all walls, including accent walls if you are painting.
    Many people finish/tile the floor before the cabinets. YMMV depending on who you talk to.
    You need to have the flooring picked so they can decide how to procede.
    Then the cabinets go up.
    Then the countrop top.
    appliances and sinks.

Electrical/plumbing finish work, ie install faucet, light fixtures, electrical outlets (this is variable) DW.

Back splash and trim.

Touch up paint, if needed.
    One more coat of floor finish, if needed.

Good luck. This is only our 4th major remodel in this house! You learn alot over the years.

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

Does anyone want to share a list of EVERYTHING that needed to be done for your kitchen reno, with timeframe connected. for example, I thought the paint would be done after the cabinets are done....
    I ordered my cabinets, will order all the appliances within the week and that is all for now. And my kitchen renovation is starting within the month.
    Thanks in advance for sharing.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

If you need corbels for a counter overhang, then your cabinetmaker may want them soon to stain/paint/finish with your cabinets. Ditto for any molding or trim decisions.

I'm in the minority here about delaying your backsplash decision. It seems to take most people here a long time to pick out their backsplash, so I would start looking sooner rather than later. Also, some tiles are special order and can take weeks or months to arrive. If I waited until my cabs and counters were in to start choosing tile, it would delay completion of my kitchen by 3 months. Just something to consider if you have to meet deadlines.

• charlikin
    13 years ago

If you're doing tile floors, those need to go in before the cabinets are installed. Backsplash can wait - that and door handles were two of the last decisions I had to make.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I think it is a good idea to have choices in mind for all the surfaces but, if possible, to add one thing at a time because each element changes the look of the room and the color of the light that gets reflected. You have to start with the floor -- this large a surface will surely affect the temperature of the light in the room. Painting the ceiling early on is a good idea if possible. But I think the final choice on the backsplash and wall paint should be held off if possible. I acknowledge that an experienced designer who has put together certain choices many times may be able to anticipate how they will all look. But for me personally it helps to add one bit to the mix at a time.