Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Split face tile for backsplash anyone??

pupwhipped
15 years ago

Hi all. Has anyone used split face tile for their kitchen backsplash? I find it a bit interesting but would think that the tile would be hard to keep clean with all the ups/downs, ins/outs of it. In my case, the tile will NOT go behind the cooktop so that would not be an issue. Anyone out there have experience with split face? Thanks as always for any thoughts.

Comments (25)

• amy0406
    15 years ago

I think this is what your talking about...

Not my kitchen, just one that is GREATLY admired!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily's Kitchen

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Amy. Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I've loved Lily's tiles before when I looked at them, but I did not realize that they were split face. Didn't read through the whole thread. I like them even more now. Lily, if you read this, how is the clean-up going with these tiles?

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Lily! Heavens no I won't (nor will my hubby) be installing the tile. We'll try to find someone besides the bafoons who installed my floor tile to do it. Floor is okay, but not great. Anyway, can you direct me to the exact chair rail tile you used please? Not only was that smart on your part, I think it looks absolutely wonderful with the tile and adds that something extra that it would not otherwise have. It looks to be two pieces or am I wrong? Like I said, I've loved your tile before but did not even notice that it was split face. Also studied your bead board plate thing and tried to figure out a way to copy that too.....but had no place for it. Remember, "copy cating" is the sincerest form of flattery. HA! Thank you.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

So pretty! I am envious of those who are neat enough in their kitchen to not have to wipe down their backsplashes so that they can have such nice tiles. :-) I, OTOH, could never get away with split face tiles. We splash tomato sauce, cookie dough, frosting, etc., etc. When our family cooks or bakes, it's very obvious that the kitchen has been USED. LOL. :-)

• lily1342
    15 years ago

sarschlos, I never even thought about that - never thought to ask myself, "Will this be too impossible to clean?" I don't remember ever getting much foodstuff on the bs even when I had easy-to-clean tiles. But with split face, I agree, that's definitely something to keep in mind.

pupwhipped, each chair rail piece is one 12"-long tile. It's called Marme Ivory Chair Rail. I had to cut some pieces shorter to fit and I goofed and didn't get the cut one pictured in the most inconspicuous spot like you're supposed to but oh well... I guess chair rail tile isn't normally used right next to the countertop but I needed something that the split face could sit on top of and the chair rail was deep enough for that:

(BTW, the little bit of mortar you see on the edges has since been scraped off.) The jaggedness in the pic looks a little exaggerated cause it's such a close-up view, but I also like the way the look turned out. The reason I asked if you were going to install it yourself is that I was going to warn you about a couple things. I thought it was somewhat difficult to install but, being my first tiling experience, maybe anything would've seemed difficult, lol. I'm sure it would be a piece of cake for a Bill Vincent type! How I wish he coulda been here to do this for me, LOL!! Let us know what you end up deciding on, whether split face or something else. The split face is a little different but I just love mine. I really think it looks better in person than in the photos. Oh and feel free to copy-cat away. I'd be in big trouble if I couldn't copy cause I'm not that creative or original!!

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you sooooooo much for that picture, Lily. I ordered four different tile samples yesterday, one of which is split face. We'll see how it looks in my kitchen. Sorry for one more maybe "stupid" question if you don't mind, and then I'll leave you alone. Do you grout these split face tiles? It's kinda hard to tell. Thank you again and may I just say your kitchen is so very nice. To think you did it yourself and for that price is absolutely amazing. Kudos to you and yours!!!

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sarschlos, if I end up going with the split face, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm messy so the food will be flying! Maybe it would encourage me to do better and clean more as I go. Or, maybe I'll have a glass of wine, get over it, and just look at it as an "interesting" patina on my split face. LOL!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Thank you, pupwhipped, and don't worry about peppering me with questions - I like talking about my kitchen (that's partly why we're on here, right?)

About grouting - I asked about that when I was at the tile store and they said it isn't normally grouted since it's all so tightly placed on the mesh. There's really no way you CAN grout it as you would other tile. But I did go ahead and buy matching grout to fill in some places where the gaps were larger and also thought I might fill in some of the larger pitting. Hate to admit this, but I still haven't gotten around to doing any grout!!! I've even asked myself if it's really necessary, maybe I'll just leave it as is. Or maybe eventually I'll break down and finish this thing as originally intended.

Originally had planned on a very simple backsplash, a lot like reno fan's - very simple but very pretty. But when I saw the split face in the store, I had to have it. Kind of felt like I was going out on a limb by choosing this. I was hoping that others who have split face backsplashes would weigh in. It's true it's not as practical as other tile and, while it hasn't been a problem for me so far, it would be nice to hear of others' experience with it.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lily, thank you again. And may I just say I think I may be stalking you now. HA! Not only do I love your backsplash and kitchen, but I went back through the thread where you posted your finished kitchen and clicked on the link where you have pics of your entire home. I already had your bathroom as one of my favorites! Didn't know it was yours. I think I got it off the bathroom forum or somewhere else cause I had never scrolled through the pics of your home. BTW, now I've saved a pic of your garage as an inspiration for one we are going to build. You are INSPIRATIONAL!

We got the tile samples today...or rather hubby did. He's at our lake place and I am not. He really likes the split face. Wish I were there as I can't wait to see them. Backsplash is about my last kitchen decision to make.....well, I still have to get a small (45"x38") butcher block top for my island. I think backsplash may have been the hardest decision of all. Thanks for all your help. I did see after I asked you that you had pics of the tile on your thread, but I had not read the whole thing. Sorry. But, the close up of that chair rail was just what I needed. Thank you so much and best to you!!!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

There's really no way you CAN grout it as you would other tile

I was looking at that in your picture. Wrong. It SHOULD be grouted with unsanded grout. Obviously it should be well sealed prior to grouting. For this even I'D use a sealer before grouting!

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ooohhh, thanks for the heads up here, Bill. If I end up using the split face tile, I may be stalking you, too!

pupwhipped

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

That's what I'm here for. :-) Stalkers are my friends!! LOL

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks again, pupwhipped! Glad to know you've gotten some inspiration from some of my pics. If you saw all my house pics, you know there are quite a few that I hope will be the future "before" pics, lol!!

And Bill, the reason I said that - "There's really no way you CAN grout it" - is because that's what they told me at the tile store! I'm sorry to pass on misinformation!! I would take your word for it over theirs. I got the feeling that they didn't really know or have experience with it when they said it was fairly new for them. So, just how would you go about grouting this? It would seem an awkward job with just a regular float but what else you could use, I don't know. I have plenty of unsanded grout on hand. And what would be the negative consequences if you never did grout it? And when you say, just make sure it's well-sealed before grouting, does that mean just make sure you get every square inch covered or seal it twice?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

You use a regular float and unsanded grout. It's time consuming because you really have to work the grout in, and you can only take small sections at a time so it doesn't dry in the nooks and crannies of the stone. But nevertheless, it does need to be done.

You salesperson was mistaken, but possibly not through ignorance. This is something I've heard from many in the trade. but if you ask anyone with real technical knowledge, you'll find out this isn't true. Last week, I went down to Connecticut, to Laticrete's corporate office in Bethany for an NTCA (National Tile Contractors ASsociation) workshop, and this specifically (not grouting splitface, as well as butting tiles and not grouting) came up. I can't stress enough that this is not an option.

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Thank you for the reply, Bill. Do you mind if I ask you why not grouting is not an option? What bad thing would/could happen if you didn't?

You use a regular float and unsanded grout. It's time consuming because you really have to work the grout in, and you can only take small sections at a time so it doesn't dry in the nooks and crannies of the stone.

Oy vey, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this, I can tell! :-/

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lily, after you practice and get the hang of it on your tile, you can come over and do mine. HA!!!!!!!!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Yeah, pupwhipped, this is a new factor to consider in your decision-making - your tile guy might charge an arm and a leg for the install!

• glassman
    15 years ago

Lily, I think you could lose the wonderful aesthetic of your spit tile back splash in an attempt to grout it in a conventional manner using a regular float.

IÂm aware that Bill universally recommends grouting and occasionally sites the DYI author, Michael Byrne, whoÂs almost "militant" on the subject. Bill has nearly cult leader status on this forum (donÂt even have to say Vincent!) so it is with risk of retribution that I make these comments. I think the argument is that an ungrouted back splash can become a breeding ground for e-coli and salmonella. Anyone with real concern about this speculation should seriously consider not having an undermount sink in their kitchen. That joint between the counter top and sink, with its constant exposure to food by-products and moisture, has the potential to be a little bacteria factory.

BillÂs advice is wide reaching and has been greatly appreciated by many forum participants. So IÂm reluctant to disagree and say that I wouldnÂt grout your tileÂbut I wouldnÂt.

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input, glassman. I'm curious what Bill's answer will be - whether or not contamination issues are the reason for always grouting. If so, I can see where that could be a good point, especially if you're sloppy in the kitchen. I wonder how much a full grout job would change the appearance? Wish I could see an example of a fully grouted split face bs. One reason why I was so drawn to this tile in the first place was that it reminded me of the exterior limestone on our house, but that's all mortared together, not the tightly-stacked look of the split face.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Glassman-- you can do as you wish, as can anyone else. The tile police won't come knocking at your door! :-) However, you've quoted me pretty well, and it's not just Mike Byrne that recommends against not grouting. If you ask ANYONE in the industry who knows the technical side of the trade, they'll tell you the same thing. The reasons are many, and cover all facets of the installation, from hygiene and health, to mechanical and aesthetics.

lily, I wish I could SHOW you pics. Unfortunately, I've only done one splitface installation, and I didn't get any pics, and yes, it got grouted. It really wasn't that bad, but I sealed it just to be sure, prior to grouting.

• lily1342
    15 years ago

You didn't get a picture? The only one you've done and you DIDN'T get a picture?? Bill, how could you??? But seriously, thank you for the reply. My tile seems to be stuck on the wall good and hard but I guess the mechanical reason is that the grout just further holds everything together? So it's really not that bad, huh? (she asks doubtfully). Sure, not for you... well anyway, I can't argue with the National Tile Contractor's Association!

• lilsallyan_aol_com
    15 years ago

My husband and I just put split face tile on our backsplash. We had a big problem with it falling off the mesh. We peeled every piece off and placed them on by hand. It took us hours but it was worth it. I don't really see any way we could get grout in. Maybe along the top edge and corner. I guess we will take our chances. It is so beautiful and we are so glad we used it. We used the champagne gold by Dal tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

• tiffany417_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I believe I saw Sara Richardson use this tile on a fireplace in season 1(?) Of Sarahs House. If I remember correctly, they were using a toothbrush to grout.

• Malorie Hirsch
    8 years ago

I have a question. We installed our split face backsplash, sealed and grouted and resealed. now we are getting ready to put back on the electrical face plates. What is the best way to make them look flush?