Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Peke?

msrose
9 years ago

Where did you go? Did I miss an update on your backsplash decision?

Comments (24)

• laurencp
    9 years ago

Yes, I too was wondering what you chose!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Bump, would love to see an update!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Me too!

• Peke
    9 years ago

Sorry! My life has been crazy! We haven't done anything with the backsplash yet. We are saving up for windows.

We are also having to repair brand new appliances. Repairmen around my area don't like to work on appliances that are still under warranty. Frigidaire guy said he only gets $100.00 to do the repair. So no refrigerator since April. Compactor lasted 5 months. Can't find anyone to do warranty work on it either.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your appliance woes! I wonder if you would have any recourse through the credit card company (assuming you paid for your appliances with a credit card)? Many of them offer extended warranties, and all offer dispute resolution.
    We would all love to see some ABB pictures, or any pictures. We love sea pearl E.Y.E. C.A.N.D.Y

• romy718
    9 years ago

Peke, good to hear from you. We've missed you. I hope you can get your appliance issues resolved. Check back with us when life calms down or if you need to vent.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for checking in! I was worried something had happened to you.

• wags848
    9 years ago

Hello Peke! I love your Sea Pearl and enjoyed following the threads re your journey to your beautiful stone. I am contemplating Sea Pearl and am wondering if you have had any problems with etching or staining. Also, did you have it sealed? Would you select Sea Pearl again?

Thx!
    wags

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Peke, glad you posted as I was worried also. I would love an update on your counters also.

• bluemoon67
    9 years ago

I was wondering as well! I got Sea Pearl myself and struggled with the backsplash, but finally went with a mini glass subway. I was wondering what you had picked. It is a very tricky stone to find a backsplash for! Good luck with the appliance issues.

• bluemoon67
    9 years ago

Thank you, Practigal! I'm glad it's over. :)

• practigal
    9 years ago

Peke, did you buy all of your appliances from the same source? One lemon is sadly not unexpected but you have gotten quite a handful.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Bluemoon67- when I saw this pic of your backsplash in the other thread I immediately thought of Peke & am adding this picture. There are a couple of people that recently decided on Sea Pearl. You should start a new thread with "Sea Pearl & Glass Backsplash" in the heading & post your pics. Really pretty Sea Pearl & I love the green glass with it.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the Sea Pearl counters and the glass backsplash so much together. BlueMoon67, gorgeous kitchen pictures!BlueMoon67, what edge did you use? Do you have a link to your finished kitchen as I love it so much!

• bluemoon67
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'm not sure how to do a link, do you mean in the gallery side? If you have a minute and can tell me how I will certainly do it! :)
    I used a straight edge, I think its just called "eased." I didn't want anything too elaborate. Here is another picture I have.

• romy718
    9 years ago

BlueMoon67 - at the bottom of the Kitchen Forum page is "Post a Message to the Forum". Click on that & add a title & your pics. If you can't add more than one pic at a time, just do another post (Post a Followup) on the same thread. If you're ready to do a reveal (your kitchen looks gorgeous), be sure & include all your details.

• bluemoon67
    9 years ago

Thank you! By details you mean all the specifics such as paint color, measurements etc? Yikes, better get my files out! Thank you for the help! It may take me a few days. My family broke out the juicer today and it looks like a bomb went off. :)

• loyalandtrue
    9 years ago

Peke, I followed your backsplash threads and felt your anguish over choosing the perfect backsplash for your home. Your beautiful sea pearl countertops was one of the main reasons I chose sea pearl. I am so sorry about your appliance issues and hope you get them resolved soon. I think I remember that you are in Oklahoma, as am I, and wish I could send my repairman to you!

BlueMoon67, as I wrote in the other sea pearl thread, I love your kitchen. The glass backsplash is wonderful. I went with white subway because I was not brave enough to do anything more bold!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Take your time, BlueMoon. I've been promising to post my reveal for quite awhile.
    Peke - we miss you. I hope you got your appliance issues resolved.

• User
    9 years ago

Peke, contact the manufacturer directly. Explain the warranty issue. Squeaky wheel. I got my washing machine replaced and they gave me a "better" model.

• Peke
    5 years ago

Sorry, I have been super busy. It took almost a year to get my house sided, plus I have been working on settling my dad's estate and dealing with his dementia before that. I just got back from 22 days in Scotland, and I really don't want to do anything that involves remodeling. I am sick of rewiring this house, too. So expensive!

My Sea Pearl is still fabulous! I still have no backsplash since I can't decide what to put behind the Blue Star rangetop. I am still contacting American Range about my double hybrid french door ovens about every six months just to annoy them since they are not going to do anything....They did send me a new electric element for the electric broiler maybe a year ago, but since no repairman will touch the oven, it doesn't do me any good. Oklahoma Natural Gas shut off the gas to the gas upper oven due to the problems I was having with it, so now I am using one oven that burns almost everything I make. (The broiler comes on when it is not supposed to, but NO.....it is NOT a design flaw according to American Range.) I haven't looked for a repair person in about 6 months so I guess it is time to call around again.

All I want to do is relax, read, learn how to use my Instant Pot, and learn how to use my Ankarsrum Mixer. Boy, does it have a learning curve!

So no more remodeling for me for a while. Smart siding is done, all new windows, new door knobs, locks, and deadbolts, new door into garage, more new wiring in the bedroom (evidently the previous owners installed DIY wiring without any electrical boxes), all is finished...for now.

Next step is to put a beam in the garage ceiling to better support the room up above. I swear that this house had a builder/contractor who knew nothing about building and construction. What a mess this house has been! Inspectors saw nothing wrong so they were a waste of money.

• Peke
    4 years ago

Well, crud! Somehow I screwed up my user name. Maybe I logged in with a different email?

Peke is AKA psyohe.

I have been posting and answering by different names evidently. My computer's password keeper program isn't working right. It says I don't have a user name for Houzz so I guess I started a new account. I contacted Houzz to see if they can consolidate them.

So.....no backsplash yet. Dad had Alzheimer's. No remodeling.

I started looking at backsplashes again recently, but I now have other issues that have popped up.

1 . There is a gap where the vent hood installers didn't seal the wall. They cut jagged holes in the drywall and left holes unsealed. It needs sealed somehow to keep the wasps from getting in the house. I can't believe the crappy workmanship from the "professionals" where I live.

2. Now, I am being told that my Bluestar rangetop was installed incorrectly! Professionals here on Houzz are telling me that I needed steel framing in the walls with NO drywall because it is flammable even when it is behind tile or a stainless steel panel. 6 years ago, Bluestar did not say anything about me needing to use their stainless steel backguard that keeps a 1" gap between the steel panel and the drywall. I know it is different for commercial codes, but in residential I didn't see a code. Pros on Houzz are telling me my rangetop is not following codes. Houzz pros were the people that told me to pull it out from the back wall 3" and it would be fine. (also pulled the vent hood out 3".) Now, my rangetop is not supposed to have an island trim. I am supposed to have a 6" tall backguard. I can't use one because the rangetop is pulled out 3". GRRRRRR!

3. Since my vent hood is pulled out 3", there is a gap. I have to put something non-flammable in the 3" gap before I start the backsplash! Thank goodness I had not installed the backsplash yet.

My American Range Hybrid double wall oven was finally fixed on my own since American Range refused to fix the problems. They sent me some parts but no one to actually fix the oven. I think it cost me almost $500.00. So gas half is working, but the electrical half (bottom oven) still burns everything. The broiler keeps coming on when I am baking. They designed it that way so they say nothing is wrong.

My husband says he does not like going on an airplane with me...my bad luck could take him down with me! Remember that old song on Hee Haw? "Gloom, despair, agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery! If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair, and agony on me." LOL

Geez! When is it going to end? So much for living our retirement at a lake house. We are selling and moving back to the city as soon as this house is finished.

• Peke
    4 years ago

Which size of tile?