Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

i hate homeclick!

ardcp
9 years ago

so i realized i ordered the wrong sink grid last night for the order i placed in the afternoon. i called the customer service number but they go home at 5pm est so i left a message. then i emailed as well. since the order hadn't shipped i thought i could cancel it. nope, i got a shipping confirmation this morning. i called cs and apparently there is a 15 percent restocking fee plus the cost to ship back! so now i have a sink grid that is too small for my sink that i will end up keeping because it will cost more than it is worth to return it!
i am so steamed because any other reputable online retailer wouldn't be charging a restocking fee for a stock item! plus i have called amazon prior to shipping and they cancel no problem. lesson learned, stick with amazon, avoid homeclick like the plague. my fault for trying to save a few dollars.

Comments (22)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Never heard of them, so thanks.
    Sorry you're dealing with such frustration.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

I didn't know they were still in business! A couple of years ago I had bookmarked an item there, and when I later tried to order it, I received a message that they were not taking or shipping any orders.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Can you just refuse the shipment when it arrives? You did notify them by email prior to shipment, so if you refuse shipment your CC company should reverse the charges. I don't really like to bug my CC company with small stuff like this, though. I'd rather reserve those complaints for when I really need them. I've gotten in the habit of reading every bit of the print on a website regarding returns and re-stocking fees and avoid those with terms that aren't acceptable.

• Evan
    9 years ago

I also suggest refusing shipment. We did that (or rather tried to) with a light fixture from Ballard. We changed our minds after it shipped, so Ballard told us to just refuse the shipment. I was waiting for UPS to arrive and ran out as soon as he rang the doorbell, but he said it was too late. He had already put it in his computer as delivered. He suggested we either sit out front and wait for him or put a sign on the door.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

You might need to intercept the UPS guy at curbside. My guy is often entering his computer stuff as he walks up my front path.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so if i refuse shipment for any reason other than damage, they charge me 25 percent restocking fee! they have it covered either way. i can only hope it is damaged and then i supposedly wont pay a restocking fee but who knows with this scammer company

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

If you were to return it yourself, you would pay the restocking fee PLUS return shipment. Refuse the shipment and you save yourself the one charge.

• SpencerHomeclick
    9 years ago

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for posting to the forum.

My name is Spencer Freedman and I am the customer advocate here at Homeclick.com. I can assure you that we want to make things right . The phone rep that you spoke with was following policy but we will be happy to pick the item up and take it back for a full refund.

Please email me at spencer@homeclick.com or call me directly at 732-379-3488. This way I can get your order information and get this all squared away.

I look forward to working with you!

Best Regards,
    Spencer Freedman
    spencer@homeclick.com
    732-379-3488

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey good news all, i contacted spencer from homeclick and he is waiving the restocking fee and says i can refuse the delivery! hooray and thanks to all my gw compatriots:)

• jennybc
    9 years ago

This is seriously the best website!

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I'm a tad confused, because you said it is your fault that you ordered the wrong one. Why is it their problem that you didn't verify what you wanted before hit the submit button?

I'm glad they are making you happy over this, but I'm failing to see the reason for the hatred. I've ordered from them several times and have been very happy with their service.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

neroslover- glad to hear you have had good experiences. yes it was my mistake. i imagine that many of us have ordered the wrong size, color, etc online and needed to return it. i have never ordered with an online retailer that charges you to return a stock item. that makes ordering online a risky proposition.
    jennybc- this is THE best site with awesome helpful people:) planning my kitchen with gw has been so much better than figuring it out on my own!

• carree
    9 years ago

Good for home click for doing right by the customer and having good sense of all channels to be active on sites like this one. Hooray for a Spencer!

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I've ordered the majority of our new house build items online and they've all had a restocking fee in their policy. I think it's it's pretty standard in the housing industry.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

SpencerHomeclick, thank you for taking the time to work with your customers. This is the second time I have read a response from a company to help their customers.. It is so good to know companies are monitoring feed back around the net to bring back customer service as we have known it in the past. Competition is a good thing, going beyond for the customer is beyond.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

OP left a message for customer service, as well as emailed them within hours of placing her order, BEFORE the item was shipped the NEXT day. The shipment could have been canceled at that point, even if it was a drop shipment, albeit with a little extra work on their part but it can be done, thus not incurring the restocking fee. OP could have ordered the correct size and everyone is happy. I am pleased to see that Spencer from Homeclick stepped up to make this right, very good move on his part, customer service is even more important with so many online vendors to choose from. As Spencer obviously understands, it is their problem because they have a reputation to protect and providing great customer service is the key to that! Glad things worked out, because of this, I will not hesitate to order from Homeclick in the future!

And I also ordered most of my home renovation items online and never paid a restocking fee for a return, but I purposely chose vendors that accept returns without restocking fees.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"It was my pleasure.
    And it looks like the UPS intercept was actually successful so it shouldn't show up.
    We've processed the full credit back to your Discover card.
    Thank you,
    Spencer"
    wow guys, i can't believe how fantastic this worked out! Spencer really stepped up and thanks to all of you on this site for letting me vent! this site has been a lifesaver throughout the kitchen process!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

That is wonderful.
    I wasn't so lucky with another company who charged a hidden restocking fee.
    I ordered samples and decided I didn't like them and went to return them.
    The fine print on the third page of the internet mentioned the restocking fee, so it was quite hidden. The first page offered free shipping if I ordered $100.00.
    The company and distribution center was located 5 miles from where I live. I had to ship them as they don't have a sales office.
    I talked with them and tried everything to mitigate the loss without success.
    Needless to say, I never recommend them to anyone.
    Wish I had pulled in GW to help!

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

IMO Home Click isn't worth the aggravation of saving a couple of bucks.

My experience: I waited for a faucet - for more that 90 days. All I got was: "it will be here in about 2-3 weeks" - over and over again. They 'advertise' items that they don't have in stock (maybe they don't have any stock, and have their vendors drop ship). They are still advertising the faucet I was waiting for (now it's over 120 days)

I found the faucet on Amazon - for a few dollars more. I got it in about 5 days!

Here is a link that might be useful: Read these Home Click Reviews

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. While I'm happy that the OP got resolution, I wonder why Homeclick just doesn't make this kind of customer service their policy (" ... The phone rep that you spoke with was following policy.")? Surely Homeclick realizes that restocking charges and return postage charges are going to deter customers from returning items that don't work out for them. Ordering things online is risky enough without difficult and expensive return policies.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

@jellytoast: "Surely Homeclick realizes that restocking charges and return postage charges are going to deter customers from returning items that don't work out for them."

My thought is that Home Click may have little or no inventory. They simply send a PO to one of their vendors, and the vendo 'blind ships' the item to you.

Therefore they need this restocking fee - cause they have to return it to their vendor - and probably pay a fee.

I'd stay far away from this company.

• SpencerHomeclick
    9 years ago

My apologies Geoffrey_B that you had such an awful experience with your faucet order. Can you point out to me what this particular product is so we can go ahead and have it removed from our website?

I actually went to try and find an order where it took this long to ship but was unable to find it. Any help you can give me would be great so this does not happen again.