Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

Help with design ideas for wall between kitchen and family room

aokat15
13 years ago

Hi all - I hope this is the right forum for this post... I realize it's also related to the family room, but I figured it's an extension of the kitchen space and you all are always so helpful with layout/design ideas.

Here's a little background - I apologize in advance for the long post and hopefully it won't be too scatterbrained as that's how I feel lately!

The original design for our kitchen/family room addition contained a support wall that would have a fireplace on either side - one in the family room and one in the kitchen eat-in area (or "hearth" room). Here is an earlier plan with this feature. Please note that the kitchen layout was just schematic for permit purposes, we have since changed windows and sink placement, etc.

After going with this plan for a while, I then came across this photo on houzz.com and started thinking about how it would be nice to have the area between the kitchen and family room more open and that also we probably wouldn't use the fireplace in the hearth room very often anyway...

I really like how this is open to the family room but not wide-open. And doing something like this would still give us the support wall that we needed. So, I met with our architect and we changed our layout around to have the family room fireplace on the far wall and a similar area in between the two rooms.

Now, I really like the direction we're going in except that I don't like how this looks from the family room side (here is the backside photo from the same kitchen):

Here are my thoughts about this -

This house has their table on the other side of the wall so it makes sense to have that pass through. Does it still make sense for our layout?

If we do a mirror image of the cabinets on the family room side (which I like the idea of) we start eating into the family room space a few more feet and I don't want to make that space cramped. (In the revised drawing the family room is about 19x20 from wall to wall and the fireplace will then eat up a few feet of that)

So basically... what would you do? These are all of my other thoughts:

- keep the new fireplace location, keep the two walkways, but close up the wall in the middle and just have a hutch on the kitchen side

- have the opening be in the middle, so bring in the support walls from the side and have a large cased opening in the middle of the room

- do something like above and add pocket doors for interest

- go back to original plan with the hearth

- ...???

I really appreciate any thoughts on other cool ways to design this space. Thanks so much.

Comments (8)

• chicagoans
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I really like Shanghai's second picture, with the couch in front of the pass-through so it's facing the fireplace (and most likely the TV.) The woodwork around that pass-through is really nice.

If it were me, I'd like my table in the kitchen with a view to the family room and its windows. (We couldn't get windows next to our table for our reno and I do miss having a view.) I think you would like having that natural light coming through to the table.

Would you like the view from the FR better if you had a really pretty hood and/or backsplash focal point behind your cooktop, and a pretty light fixture over your table (on the other side of the opening)?

{{gwi:1843036}}

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much! I think I like shanghaimama's first pic a little better more for the fact that I like the thicker columns... but I agree that the second pic with the couch in front is more like our layout. I think what I struggle with is that I love the combination of visual interest and usefulness on the kitchen side and think that the plain pass through just is too plain on the family room side (which may just be my own issue).

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

chicagoans - I do think that a nicer hood/backsplash will help! As will the light fixture... I think I do still want more trim around the opening and to make the opening more useful as well so it's not just a passthrough...

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spending too much time on google... but found this pic of a wet bar from forum member blakey (unfortunately I can't find her kitchen just searching on the forum, I'm assuming due to the site issues). I don't see what this looks like from the family room but it's a similar idea.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

shanghaimom - do you remember where you found your first pic? I'd love to see that from the other side... thanks!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to Willowdecor's blog I checked out Molly Frey's website and found these pics!! Again SO similar to what I'm looking for (and a white kitchen!) but I can't find pics of the other side...

• kathec
    13 years ago

aokat15,
    I saw your reference on my "boxed in columns" post. Thanks for referring me here. We're definitely on the same track. I really liked the examples that you and the other posters put up. I think we're leaning toward the idea shanghaimom posted with the columns and the arch except DH and I were thinking to panel 3 sides and install shelves on the inside. In my situation, the family room side is a walkway, so we'll have plenty of space for an overhanging bar with a few stools. I definitely need a place for my cookbooks that is easily accessible, yet doesn't take up valuable space in the main kitchen storage area and this seemed like the best solution. In the picture below, we already have the basic structure.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths