Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selent_gw

Caesarstone backsplash regret- can it be removed?

selent
10 years ago

Yesterday I had some beautiful Haze (very light gray) Caesarstone countertops installed. My mistake I see now was having matching 4 inch backsplash placed on top.
The installers/fabricators were excellent but I'm embarrassed to call them and ask. Does anyone know- is it possible to have the backsplash removed without damaging the countertops underneath. I think a silicone adhesive was used. Does the adhesive stain Caesarstone?
How hard would it be to have them come back and pry up the backsplash? I have subway glass tile I should've used but we were trying to be practical and not worry about grout stains. I had planned the tile to extend to the top of the backsplash but realize now that look is dated- want to get rid of the backsplash and have the tile come all the way down to the countertops.

Anyone with advice for me? Thank you!!

Comments (11)

• david1609
    10 years ago

Removing the 4" back splash will probably not be an issue. There may be some damage to your dry wall, but that can be patched in prep. for the tile. The silicone on the counter top can be removed. I agree with Island, call your installer and have him remove the splash for you.

• david1609
    10 years ago

Removing the 4" back splash will probably not be an issue. There may be some damage to your dry wall, but that can be patched in prep. for the tile. The silicone on the counter top can be removed. I agree with Island, call your installer and have him remove the splash for you.

• localeater
    10 years ago

Believe me, you will not be the first person to call the installer and ask for something to be changed. I am sure he has heard much more unusual requests.

• poohpup
    10 years ago

Better to swallow your pride and call the installer. This won't be the first or last time this has happened. Way better than living with something you'll always regret. Any potential drywall damage is easily remedied.

• selent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your reply. I feel so much better knowing it can be removed. We have an older house with plaster walls- the laminate backsplash that was there before didn't damage the walls so hopefully that won't be an issue.
    How will they get it up? By inserting a knife under it? So you don't think there will be scratches or stains on the countertops?
    Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Our last house came with a 4" granite backsplash. We removed that to put in a tile backsplash. There was no damage to the granite counters, but we did have some patching to do to the drywall. I just used a pry bar at the top edge to tip it away from the wall. The silicone on the bottom edge wasn't an issue at all.

• amykath
    10 years ago

You can remove it. You might just have to do some patching.

We just removed all of the tiles on our fireplace and it took a great deal of the drywall with it. We just cut out some drywall and placed in the spots that needed it and then bought those patches they sell at Home Depot or Lowes. You can just throw those up and then put a spackle type product on top and then you can add the backsplash. My boyfriend and I did it all in a matter of hours. Not too terrible.

• selent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wanted to post a follow up. The service mgr said that there would be no problem removing the backsplash- the countertops will be cleaned with denatured alcohol to remove the adhesive and there should be no staining.
    He said backsplash with tile was like wearing a belt with suspenders! Haha- so true!!
    Thanks again everyone- you rescued my weekend from angst and pain.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Selent, so glad that there was an easy fix for you to remove the Caesarstone backsplash so you can have the tile backsplash go to the counters. We would love pictures when you finish the backsplash.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

"He said backsplash with tile was like wearing a belt with suspenders." Love that!
    We should all remember that next time someone posts if they should have both.
    Glad it worked out for you. Look forward to seeing your finished kitchen.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz