Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

More questions on knobs and pulls

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

First, thank you to ed, laurie, i-chic, and all others who responded to yesterday's post on longer pulls for 30" drawers. I went to RH yesterday and bought a few samples (classic, will fit in well with my kitchen). More questions:

1. Is there any rule of thumb for length of pull proportionate to length of drawer, or is it instinct? For my 30" drawers, I'm looking at 8" pulls but will that be enough? I could get 10" or 12" from RH also but I'm not crazy about that style (Gilmore). I do not want two sets of pulls on one 30" drawer because that way I'd either be pulling on one set with one hand, possibly racking the drawer over time, or needing to use two hands.

2. I like the pulls with glass or ceramic bars. I'm getting frosted glass fronted cabinets and white ceramic sink and faucet handles, so either would tie into a material that's already present. Any votes for one or the other? I'm also looking at some cobalt blue knobs and bin pulls but I want to wait until the granite goes in before making a decision on whether it would be too much blue. I'm attaching a link to RH's main pull page.

3. FYI, the RH people told me yesterday that Grafton will be discontinued, so if anyone wants it, they should either order now or wait for the sale and then order extras.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Pulls

Comments (2)

• Laurie
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's some info I copied & pasted below. I'm also attaching a link that may be helpful, as well.
    Installation:
    There are no set rules for placement of knobs or pulls. They may be thought of as artistic accents as well as functional pieces. Still, their placement can be crucial to the overall integration of the cabinetry plan. When placed with care a knob should blend into its context. Poorly placed knobs disrupt the aesthetic balance of an otherwise well-proportioned kitchen.

Most new cabinetry is traditional in design, but sometimes in an effort to be trendy, designers try placing knobs in non-traditional places. When deciding on their placement there are some caveats that should be remembered:

Cabinet Doors:
    Whenever possible, avoid placing knobs on a center panel. A veneered panel will not be as strong as the wood frame surrounding it.

Drawer Fronts:
    Generally a single knob or pull is used on drawers under eighteen inches wide, while drawers over eighteen inches call for either two knobs or two pulls. Drawers over 24" wide should have two knobs/pulls to prevent the drawer from twisting when pulled. For visual continuity, pulls or knobs should be installed on false front drawer fronts as well.

To position a drawer handle successfully, first determine it's visual center of mass (the absolute center od the pull). A knob's center of mass will be the mounting screw.

As a general rule, If a drawer is wide enough to need two knobs/pulls, each should be centered about 1/6th of the drawer length from the edge of the drawer and positioned slightly above center.

Installtion diagram for drawer handle Placement of Multiple Drawer Pulls:
    Length 6 = center of knob/pull
    Using this formula, if the the drawer is 24 inches wide, the middle of the pull should be 4 inches from the outside edge of the drawer front.

In some cases it is impossible to place a handle at the optimum height because of such things as cross banding or overcrowding on a narrow upper drawer. In these instances the eye is generally forgiving.

Bail handles derive more of their visual mass from the rosettes than do plate handles where the bail is recessed on a field of brass. This means a rosette handle will be placed a little lower than a plate handle whose mass is mostly a function of the backplate. The goal in all cases is to mount the handle so that the center of mass is slightly above the centerline of the drawer front. The deeper the drawer front the higher the handle should be placed above the centerline.

Don't forget that the thickness of the door or drawer must be considered when ordering screws to make certain that the proper length screw is purchased.

In replacing a pull, the old one should be used to measure the new one. Remember to measure from the center to center of each screw (not the length of the pull) to determine the size pull needed. If the old holes will be patched, or if a backplate will be used, size will be flexible; but don't forget that the holes go all the way through, so that the plate it won't cover them on the inside. If this matters, a second plate may be needed.

It's always best to leave hardware installation to professionals who will accept responsibility for their alignment. These experts use special jigs to assure a proper match across the cabinets, which is extremely important visually.

A cabinet can only be drilled once and it must be perfect the first time; if a hole is drilled wrong, the only way to repair it is to cover the hole with a backplate and start over. But that means that every other cabinet in the kitchen will require a matching backplate. And don't forget that once drilled, the cabinet cannot be returned.

Here is a link that might be useful: General Rules and Guidelines

• igloochic
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have 30" drawers and I still say...two pulls my dear :( Sorry...but if you insist on one pull...I'd go as long as the pull comes, so in this case, that's 8".

I don't know what to do to convince you on those double pulls...maybe send you back out cabinet shopping? Visit a few places and try opening a 30" drawer or larger with one hand. It's honestly not natural for me..but I'm maybe a dork :oP

I really do NOT think that blue glass will be too much in your kitchen. Those darned counters are so gorgeous that highlighting them with blue knobs and pulls will never be too much. IN fact, much like chickens have invaded my world...I bet "blue" stuff starts to creap into yours! Blue pitchers, glass, etc.