Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008_gw

full overlay vs standard overlay

debrak_2008
13 years ago

Always wanted full overlay cabinets but am looking to save money. I do see standard overlay cabinets in kitchens that I like. Supposedly standard overlay is cheaper so I will get new estimates.

Has anyone really wanted full and got standard to save $? How much did you save? Are you happy or do you still wish for full?

What is your general impression of a kitchen will full or standard? Do you think of a particular style, etc.?

Current kitchen has standard with doors that I hate so when I think of standard I think of my current doors and think low quality/ugly. But... I have seen so many kitchens here and elsewhere with standard that look beautiful and definately not low quality.

Looking for shaker/mission style cabinets. Anyone has this is standard overlay?

Thank you.

Comments (9)

• debinnh
    13 years ago

I just ordered my full overlay cabinets. I had priced a similar partial overlay cabinet at the same time, same color/design/glaze and it would have save me only $450 on a $16K order of cabinets, so I went with the full.

• cotehele
    13 years ago

Cost is certainly a factor in choosing the type of door. There are a lot of kitchens I love with inset doors, but I did not want the upcharge. I was planning to do full overlay, but there was an upcharge for that as well, although not as much as inset. The cabinetmaker's showroom convinced me that partial overlay can be very attractive. That is what I choose. At the time it was a budget decision. I really like the cabinets now, and would choose partial overlay if redoing the kitchen again. My kitchen may not look up-to-date, but it is appropriate for the age of my house. I think the furniture base rather than standard toe kick make the partial overlay less obvious and the slab drawers have a very clean line.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Cotehele kitchens is one of my favorites!

Personally, I am not in love with full overlay. I really like inset. Used to be in love with inset. Then, since inset never loved me back, I got over inset. Last kitchen we had half inch overlay and I loved the cabinets. I got the wood and stain I wanted, along with the door style, and I was happy.

This time around, I was very upset that the cabinet company I was going with did not offer half inch. Only in one door style. A five panel raised that I did not love. I wanted slab doors in half inch overlay. Because of cost, and really...because I couldn't think of actually having full overlay, I went with the five panel raised door in half inch.

And I am so excited to get them!

To me, full overlay looks very 90's. It is the norm/standard and I don't think it is hideous or anything. In fact, I swoon over many kitchens with full overlay. Just I think that 1/2" works well as traditional, modern, classic...the works!

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You have all given me something to think about.

Cotehele I love your kitchen. I couldn't find in the FKB, can you tell me more about your cabinets? How much is your overlay?

sabjimata, my house was built in the 1920's so I want it to fit in with the style while still being me. Guess the cabinets need to look like they belong to the house not to a decade.

I am noticing that I like standard overlay in maple or cherry woods with med. to darker stain. If I see a light colored oak I don't like it. Just makes it more confusing...

• cotehele
    13 years ago

sabjimata, thank you.

debrak, thanks. the doors are 5/8'' overlay. It is the custom cabinetmaker's standard line. The wood is quartersawn oak, stain is burnt sugar. The kitchen is not in the FKB~it is not quite finished. It needs the backsplashes and door panels. The aluminum foil panels are temporary until I can decide what custom panel I want.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Another fan of cotehele's beautiful oak cabs here!

Could someone please give me a good explanation of what the difference is in the overlays? I'm afraid I'm clueless here..... getting ready to start some serious kitchen decisions here in our new home plans.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

Not sure what "standard" overlay is but mine are partial overlay, not full. I liked the look, don't care for the hinges that are offered with full overlay and always prefer something a bit unique rather than what everyone else is getting. Here's a picture - there are more on the FKB.

{{gwi:1582131}}

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used the term standard overlay to mean anything except full. I believe standard is 1/2" which leaves 1" of the frame exposed. A 1" overlay leaves 1/2" exposed. It seems there are many variations. (I took this from a kraftmaid catalog) My current cabs have 1 1/2" exposed.

gibby2000, your cabinets are nice with the partial overlay.