Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
advanced_gw

Light colored blanco silgranit sink-staining?

advanced
12 years ago

Anyone out there have any of the lighter colors of the Blanco silgranit kitchen sinks? I am on the verge of purchasing one to match my new granite Typhoon Bordeaux but I am very concerned about staining. I do lots of cooking with pasta sauce and it seems to me it stains everything if left even for a short time. Any comments or suggestions?

Comments (34)

• hermajesty
    12 years ago

I have the light colored one - installed in Nov.
    No staining so far. I was super careful at first. Now not so much. And the BEST cleaner is good old baking soda! I use it a couple times a week and my sink still looks new.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

I have a kindred in champagne which is a creamy colour.
    I have had tea stains that have cleaned up beautifully with baking soda
    I also have a new product I brought home from israel that is called Astonish. My sister suggested i buy it and the name is correct. It is astonishing. But before i used that I was happy with baking soda

• harbormom
    12 years ago

I have one in cream (about 7 years now). I love it and always cleaned it with Softscrub until a friend suggested I save money and use Comet (sp?). Wow, was that a mistake! It scatched the sink and it really gets dirty fast. Now, what I do is coat in in Softscrub before I go to bed and let it sit all night. It looks (mostly) new by morning. We are building again, I will probably repeat this sink. It is quiet. I have one big bowl and love it!

• advanced
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I know I don't want SS and was just not sure about the light color sinks. My family tends to leave things in the sink and I don't want to stress out over this. MUSPIC, do you have any further info on the Israeli product? Many times it gives a USA distributor name.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Loving reading questions that I have too. Our Blanco Biscuit colored sink is getting installed on the 8th, in our TB granite! Please post pictures and I'll do the same.
    :)

• advanced
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandesurf; Your kitchen will be done way before mine. We are still looking at the slab choices, just a few more places to go. I would love to see your kitchen when it is done. Please keep me "posted"

• davidro1
    12 years ago

to say it more clearly:
    it takes more time than I'd like to clean it.

there is a slight discoloration that takes time to remove.
    at the end of the day, there are no stains.

i just think it's more practical to get one of the other colors, because they hide the slight discoloration more easily. After all, it's clean enough when you can't see the smudges / discoloration.

i was the first or one of the first to post about cleaning this color.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Davidro1, what color silgranit do you have?

• redroze
    12 years ago

We've had a biscuit Blanco sink for 3 years and no staining. I use Vim cream cleaner - I read somewhere that it's the best stuff to use on silgranit. We had a black (anthracite) Blanco sink prior to this one and I just knew we had to get silgranit. I wish they had the grey colours in my time though - it would have gone better with our granite.

The taupey coloured sink that came out recently is called Truffle. LOVE it...

There's also Silk which is a lighter grey. Would go well with carrarra marble.
    {{!gwi}}

• redroze
    12 years ago

There are more pics of my sink on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redroze Renos

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Redroze--as far as I can tell, I don't think the Silk color is available stateside. I wish it were because that's a great color. I might even choose that over the metallic gray for my Carrara.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

I apologise for not replying sooner.
    I bought my Astonish when i was in Israel

Decided to ask Mr Google about it though and there is a website and apparently it is available in the USA

the product I am talking about is the oven & cookware cleaner

I have emailed them to ask for specifics as to where to get it but this is the web page

Here is a link that might be useful: astonishing cleaner

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

oh good. glad to hear those reviews of the biscuit. I've had my biscuit silgranit ready to go for months (after months of research of course). And now that it will be installed by the end of next week, I'm beginning to feel nervous apprehension that I made some bad choices. Glad to hear this isn't one of them. phew. thanks!

Redroze- your kitchen is beautiful. Don't know how I missed it before.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ditto redroze.

An off-white / beige / biscuit/ color lets me see grayish smudges that I would deem "clean enough" on other grayer colors or on a stainless sink.

It may be nothing, to you. Either the smudge you see or the work you do to remove it.

I used to have stainless sinks, and porcelain sinks, so the fine-grained detailed scrubbing of this silgranit sink is what i commented about.

Reminds me of "Obsessive cleaning".

I'll say it again: the word "stain" is not right because no stain is visible after the cleaning process. There is no permanent stain. Getting it to look perfectly clean is the thing I should have commented on, without calling anything a stain. It's almost like a stain because it takes a lot more time to clean. Maybe it's more accurate to say that the sink surface grabs and holds a little bit of greasy dirt (but nothing to worry about) which would be INvisible with the other colors that redroze posted.

Perhaps I have eyes for hones and hues that almost no-one else can see. Your eyes may show you other things.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Our granite got installed on Friday!!! Here's our Blanco in biscuit, with our TB granite! LOVE it!
    Now.., on to BS and window treatments... Does it ever end?

The biscuit is perfect with the TB, but I'm sure other colors would look great too. Biscotti/black/dark brown.
    Have you decided yet?

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

I've been taking hourly peaks at my Blanco biscotti (in its box on my floor) for the past 24 hours. I am truly in love. Thanks for this thread - I'm going to definitely remember the baking soda tip. Sounds perfect.

(To everyone who posted pix of your biscotti - they look beautiful!!!)

SQ

• Lily512
    12 years ago

Hi, Has anyone seen biscotti with yellow river granite? Or with white cabinets? Love your pictures - by the way. Beautiful kitchen! I am in the midst of choosing a sink. I have been told to go with cafe brown and anthracite, but I just think the lighter color is so pretty and classic. I would love to hear your opinion.

• sudhira
    12 years ago

Maybe a bit OT but where does one get the sink drain thingie in oil rubbed bronze color? The thing that circles the drain?

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hi sudhira, We got our orb sink drains at Home Depot, right off the rack! I almost bought them on line, but the HD ones were perfect!

• sudhira
    12 years ago

Thanks Sand!

• sherry314
    12 years ago

I just had my kitchen redone and a double biscuit colored silgranit sink was installed. It looks dirty. The bottom is clearly several shades lighter than the sides and there is a grayish ring making the sinks look like they have a bathtub ring. Help! Is this normal? The gray streaks also go up the sides of the corners of the sink.

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

Well, you might know that I'm on my 2nd biscotti sink in about a month. The first one had a crack on the 2nd day after install...but that's a whole 'nother story!

I have to say, however, that I've been using straight baking soda on my sinks. Not every day, but if I make sauce or blueberry pie or something like that. If I feel like the sink doesn't look "like new" I sprinkle baking soda all over, scrub a little with a brush, and let it sit (I put water on the brush.) When I wash it away - viola - a beautiful "like new" sink.

Personally think it looks much better and cleaner than my stainless ever did.

SQ

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

Sherry314 - no, that is not normal, as you can see from the photos in this thread. Did you see the sink before it was installed? Was it like that in the box? Have you tried to clean it? Where did you buy it? Have you called the Blanco customer service number and talked to them about it?

• nckenzie
    8 years ago

My Blanco Truffle sink stains quite bad. Very disappointed.

• practigal
    8 years ago

I have biancco white and have no issues....

• ronfleshman
    7 years ago

I also have truffle color it stained too only 6 months old, also it chips easy, nicks in the bottom. Maybe a knife did that. How do you clean the stain? I was told no bleach.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

I have white. 6 years old now. I was told by Blanco to use Soft Scrub with bleach and a green scrubby pad, which I did for the first 5 years. Then I discovered Bar Keeper's Friend. Works great. For tough stains, a spray of Clorox Cleanup and the sink looks new again. I love my sink!

• Amy
    6 years ago

Ordered Amazon granite and trying to decide if I want cafe brown, truffle or biscuit colored sink...suggestions?

• sandesurf
    6 years ago

Amy, Blanco will mail you small samples of their colors. I remember liking truffle, in pictures, but when I got the sample, it didn't work with our granite. (TB)

• Stan B
    6 years ago

Tuffle or biscuit would work IMO. My preference is not to go with a dark brown sink. I love dark brown wood and have it in my kitchen but to me on a sink it just doesn't look right. Our quartz is lighter that your granite slab but I think I'd still choose biscuit because I prefer a lighter color sink (helps make the room feel lighter and brighter but that's my personal preference). We've had no problems with staining but also don't have kids in the house and clean up after every meal.

• Christy Marchese Ruvituso
    2 years ago

Don’t purchase stained with wine

• Brittany Gonzalez
    2 years ago

I know this thread is old, but hoping folks with a blanco sink can help me. A bowl was left in my sink during the course of the day and now there is a permanent ring where the bowl was. Not sure if it sun fade or what. Seems odd that the ring would appear so quickly and not go away. Anyone have experience with getting rid of something like this? You can see part of the outline I. The bottom left below. Thanks for any tips.

• Elena Matheson
    2 years ago

We've had the biscuit color sink, in our vacation home, for 10 years. (Used 2 weeks almost every month, including all Thanksgiving, with lots of cooking). Never a stain I couldn't get out with a Mr. Clean stain remover sponge.