Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth714_gw

countertop geology question: super white = wicked white?

elizabeth714
9 years ago

i can't find confirmation or denial that super white is the same as wicked white. i came to the party here at GW late, and i've just had wicked white installed. i'm wondering what to expect in terms of etching and scratching and staining. of course, at Gerrity Stone, it was billed as a quartzite. I originally called asking for super white. They said the didn't care that, but did carry the quartzite, wicked white. thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

I tried to determine the same thing, after also seeing/learning of wicked white at Gerrity! I couldn't get an actual sample of the ones they called wicked white, but my tests with super white (from other locations) did etch. It is a gorgeous stone but I opted not to get it.

Is yours installed yet? I bet it's beautiful, would love to see pictures!

• amck2
    9 years ago

I don't have the answer to your question but after a trip to one of our region's largest stone yards last week I can tell you that confusion abounds about what is what.

DD and I spent hours there and got conflicting information from different sales reps when we inquired about stones. And while I can understand why pricing can only be given through a fabricator, I don't know why they can't label if a slab is granite, soapstone, marble, quartzite, etc.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I am a geologist.

Quartzite is a stone made of quartz SiO2 which has undergone natural pressure such that breaks occur across the quartz grains.

Marble is CaCO3, and may or may not be a result of natural pressure. Marble is a lot more at risk of being 'etched' by acids (like vinegar).

Soapstone is a metamorphic rock that has naturally undergone heat and pressure. It used to be used for chemistry lab surfaces as nothing would etch it.

Granite is an igneous rock.

A rock cutting operation cuts massive slabs of solid rock into slices with long diamond saw blades.

Matching some rocks is like matching some wood patterns; you almost have to have adjacent slices for the duplication of patterns to look 'right' and/ or symmetric.

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it is installed and it is beautiful. thanks. what did you go with, kitchen-reno?

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

I went with leathered Jet/Virginia Mist. It's a completely dif look than the Wicked White but I love it!!!

Love it on your island! What is your perimeter stone?

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

honed AB.

• ikeltz
    9 years ago

Your wicked white is wicked gorgeous! If we had anything like that around here, I would have pounced on it. I'm going through the countertop hunt right now. It is very frustrating. Absolute black and carrara are what I like. Not sure yet which will go on the island, and which will go on perimeter. Your kitchen is lovely!!

• elizabeth714
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the stone yard confirmed that Wicked White is a true quartzite and not a dolomite. not that i could do anything about it now, since it's been installed! but i just wanted to know what i had in my future. hopefully it's the truth!

• Jaimie Hansen
    5 years ago
    Hi! I’m looking at getting wicked white counters. How have yours held up?