Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cd fridge--how much are they supposed to stick out?

Posted by ratherbeknitting (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 10:32

Hey All,

I am really close to posting a finished pic of my kitchen (need to finish unpacking the boxes!!)--still working through some issues with the appliances. Does anyone out there have the GE Profile Counter-Depth 20.8 Cu. Ft. French Door Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator
Model #: PFIC1NFWBV?

I just had this refrigerator installed and it sticks out from the cut out really far. The GE tech who came out to look at a problem with the icemaker said that if the cutout were bigger I could have pushed it in more. How much does your cd fridge stick out from the cut out?

Thanks,
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cd fridge--how much are they supposed to stick out?

We just installed a Samsung CD fridge, and ours sticks out a bit too. I was kind of expecting this though. Most CD fridges aren't flush. They all stick out a little bit. We should have probably done something to recess the outlet or something so that we could have had the plug be flush, but it's a lot better than having a regular depth fridge. I'll try to remember to take a picture tonight.

o

Yeah but mine is sticking out past the seal about 3".

o

The fridge doors sticks out.

o

Mine sticks out about 1/2" plus the seal and the door, so about 3 1/2" total.

Totally Confused

o

The vast majority of CD refrigerators are refrigerators with carcasses/boxes approx 24" deep. The doors must stick out past the adjacent walls/doors/cabinets/counters to open fully. What most of us have done to make a CD refrigerator look more built-in is to surround it by 3/4" finished (plain) end panels with a full-depth (24") cabinet mounted above the refrigerator & b/w the end panels.

There's not much you can do about the doors sticking out past the counters if you want to be able to open them fully!

Oh, and if your refrigerator is against a wall, be sure the wall is either no deeper than the refrigerator carcass OR you have a 9" to 12" wide cabinet or cab + counter between the refrigerator and wall.

o

I guess I will just learn to love it or save up for a built in : ) I have learned so much from this forum. I should have thought about the cabs above the fridge (they are 2" shorter than the fridge itself.)

o

Are you sure it won't go in any further? From the specs for the fridge, the box without the door is 24'1/8". It doesn't seem like it should stick out that much.

Here is a link that might be useful: ge profile PFIC1NFWBV dimensions

o

We just installed the Samsung French Door Counter Depth. The doors stick out, but don't they HAVE to? In order to be able to open? Here's a pic:

o

Yes, the doors have to stick out past the surrounding cabinets/counters to be able to open fully. Most CD refrigerators stick out from the back wall approximately 30". That accounts for:

Air & plug clearance in the back + carcass + doors + handles

Two threads (I just posted to them as well w/more information for those who have bookmarked them.)

Thread: Hiding the Refrigerator Carcass

Thread: CD Refrigerator measurement...confused

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Build-In a Refrigerator Slideshow

o

"I should have thought about the cabs above the fridge (they are 2" shorter than the fridge itself.)"

No wonder you can't get it further back! You also need about an inch above the fridge for ventilation purposes. Maybe you need to raise the cabinet by 3" to get the fridge to fit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here