Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigger

Upset with online tile company - beware!

tigger
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am so upset with glasstilestore.com!!!! I just had to rant to someone, so knew all of you would understand :) The only major thing left for my kitchen is the backsplash and after months of looking, I finally found some I thought I might like, so ordered 3 samples from the above company online. They arrived yesterday (just about 3 days after placing the order), and I was so excited to find that one of them was perfect and just what I was looking for - I haven't seen anything else like it anywhere, at least not for a decent price. Even better, my husband actually liked it also (we've had a hard time agreeing on tile colors)! Well, after holding it up in the kitchen, taking photos, etc. I went online to find it and check again what the exact price was. Oddly enough I couldn't find it anywhere on their website. I finally just googled it and the only thing that came up was a link to their site to buy a sample of it. I was in a panic of course and highly irritated so my husband was telling me to just be calm and that there was probably just an issue with their website. So we called this morning, and NO, there wasn't a problem with the website - not only do they NOT have the tile, it's been completely DISCONTINUED!!!!!! I am so mad right now. Oh, and they didn't even apologize for sending us a sample (which we obviously paid for) of something they DON'T EVEN HAVE!! What's more, it's still listed as a sample on their site, so they are probably selling it to others as well. Wouldn't you think that the first thing any reputable company would do would be to take the item off the site as soon as they knew it was discontinued, and if they somehow sold a sample to someone anyway, contact them immediately to tell them they made a mistake??!!

So...now it's back to searching for another tile for the backsplash. Needless to say I won't be buying from this place even though their prices are really good. I suppose that may be why the prices are good - they apparently aren't a reputable company and have crummy customer service!

Anyway, if you've actually had a good experience with them (glasstilestore.com), I'd love to hear it since right now I'm extremely unhappy with them!

Comments (7)

• User
    15 years ago

Arghhh.. sorry about your fruitless search so far! Try taking a couple of pics of the sample pieces you love and post them here.. I am sure that many people here in the "tile know" will be able to give you further ideas/companies/help.

Good luck, and I am sure you'll find something you love.. soon!
    Kym

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

In all fairness to the company - it could have been just
    an honest mistake that someone within the company made...
    it happens, but they need to address what happened (at least
    give you your money back) and take "the one" that you of course..
    LOVE... but CAN'T HAVE - OFF of their website....

Tiles are like sands on the beach - there's TONS of them out there
    and I am sure that you will be able to find an alternative -
    can you post a pic of "the one" (the sample that was PERFECT
    but now - of course - you CAN'T HAVE IT) ???

Perhaps if some of us Pro's (I'm thinking my Brother Bill
    Vincent especially) get a look-see - someone may be able to
    offer an alternative route for you......

Post a pic - OK???

HTH

kevin

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

Did they give you your money back for the tile sample of the discontinued tile?

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Traci...so sorry to hear that, I probably jinxed you on my BS thread when I said you would understand what I'd been going through with my own tile search!

Like country said, can you post a photo of the tile, or do you have any info as to who the manufacturer is and the name of the pattern? Maybe since it's discontinued you'll be able to find enough somewhere to make it work.

(BTW my hotmail isn't working...is anyone else having problems with that? Or did you get the email I sent you? It doesn't show up in my sent folder.)

Kat :)

• cajelidi
    15 years ago

traci29, ...I just ordered 4 of their samples yesterday! LOL...can you tell me what the name of the sample is that you liked but they aren't carrying it? I took "advantage" of their "buy 3 samples-get 4th free". I am curious to know if one of the ones I ordered is same as yours!Thx.

• tigger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I'm slightly calmer now - and beginning to feel less like screaming :) Kevin - it's true that it could be an honest mistake but I think what bothers me even more is that they weren't even apologetic, such as saying, "oh we're very sorry, please feel free to pick another sample at no charge", etc. It was basically, no, it's been discontinued and didn't even address the fact that I'd paid for a sample. It's not as if I care about the cost (just $5), simply the lack of customer service.

Kitchenredo - no, they didn't offer to refund the money either.

Kat - yes, hotmail must be having some issues - I didn't get an email! Don't worry, I don't think you jinxed me - it's just par for the course with this remodel - haha :)

Oh well, here are photos - should I post in another message as well?

Here's the discontinued tile (can't find it anywhere online, so I think it was just through this one place) - keep in mind that it looks quite a bit darker online and in person the grays are much lighter:
    {{!gwi}}

Here's another tile I found - what do you think as far as colors with the kitchen below? I think it may be very close, but since the photos are at a different angle it's hard to tell - I'm ordering a sample :) The primary difference is that the second tile is almost twice the cost of the first that was discontinued - of course!

Kitchen in current state without granite (perimeter counters will be Cambrian black antique, walls are light-med gray, island will be Persian Pearl granite:
    {{!gwi}}

Thanks everyone!!

• tigger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cajelidi - that is funny! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your experience is much better than mine (and that you didn't order the same sample)! The name of the sample I ordered is Loft Skyline Blend. They didn't have that special "get 4th for free" when I ordered :) They should be offering me several free at this point - I need a lot of tile, both for the kitchen and a kitchenette and they've lost out on both at this point! I would still consider ordering for the kitchenette if there was better customer service.